Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much should I spend on rent in Brisbane?

How much should I spend on rent in Brisbane?

Old May 5th 2011, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

caralouisem is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How much should I spend on rent in Brisbane?

Hi

Sorry if I'm repearting questions that have been asked before.

But... I'm moving to Brisbane in July and will have an income of $75000. I'm a single girl and will be on my own but ideally want to rent a 2 bed property so family can come visit.

I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what the maximum I should be looking to spend a week on rent? I was looking at properties around the $500PW mark on the net (which would enable me to live in the centre/walking distance to work/shops and nightlife).

Would this amount push my finances too much? I'm prepared to live on a budget for the first 6months/year if it means I have the security and closeness that this kind of flat would enable me, but is it unrealistic?

I'd be thankful for any advice I might get!
Old May 5th 2011, 2:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much should I spend on rent in Brisbane?

We got a small 3 bedroom house in a great location next to everything and only 4 minutes to town by train for $520. You should be able to get a 2 bed flat a little cheaper.

$390 http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...gton-404431616

Last edited by fish.01; May 5th 2011 at 2:48 pm.
Old May 6th 2011, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

Bob Tonnor will become famous soon enoughBob Tonnor will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by caralouisem
Hi

But... I'm moving to Brisbane in July and will have an income of $75000. I'm a single girl and will be on my own but ideally want to rent a 2 bed property so family can come visit.

I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what the maximum I should be looking to spend a week on rent? I was looking at properties around the $500PW mark on the net (which would enable me to live in the centre/walking distance to work/shops and nightlife).

Would this amount push my finances too much? I'm prepared to live on a budget for the first 6months/year if it means I have the security and closeness that this kind of flat would enable me, but is it unrealistic?

Hi there

Depends on where you want to be in Brisbane, do you want to be near the CBD or the coast or out in the western suburbs? If you have a basic idea it will be far easier to figure out what you can afford and where youll get the most for your cash, have a look at these two places and you will get what i mean http://www.locationlowdown.com.au/se.../QLD/Redcliffe and http://www.locationlowdown.com.au/se...dbank%20Plains .
Quite a bit of difference here but like i say what sort of lifestyle do you want?

Happy hunting

Bob
Old May 6th 2011, 9:53 am
Just Joined

Hi again

Thanks for your replies.

I want to be near the CBD/botanic gardens but I'm worried if I paid $500PW with an income of $75000 that I'm being unrealistic and will struggle financially?

I don't mind living farely basicly but I keep seeing references to how expensive the cost of living in Australia is and I'm not sure if I'm being realistic in thinking I can afford that level of rent?

Any thoughts would help.

Cara
Old May 6th 2011, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

I think you're pushing it at one third of your pre-tax income. I think you may be able to find better things to spend your money on.

How much does that extra bedroom cost you per annum on the off chance that someone comes to visit? How many night per year will it be in use? How much per night is the Sofitel? It's excessive in my opinion even though $75,000 is a decent enough salary.

FYI, the Oaks on Margaret St is a great property for short term lets and would be an economical place to put up guests short term.

Last edited by Steve2009; May 6th 2011 at 10:12 am.
Old May 6th 2011, 12:33 pm
Adventure sorted

Location: Norn Iron ... Brisbane, and now off to Melbourne East
Hoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant future

Hi there, all good advice below. Its swings and roundabouts.

I earned $80k when we first arrived 8mths ago and that was just about right for me, wife, and 3yr old. We had a new 4 bed house, at $420/ week, but way out from the city (springfield lakes)

There is plenty to choose from in and around the CBD. Book as many appointment as you can over a few days. Dont make your mind up too soon, (its easy to get carried away . .on the high of the adventure and worrying about missing out!) You will get a gut feeling when you find the area and place the suites you. It does cost an abs fortune for everything in Brisbane apart from petrol (don't kid your self, i still get shocked) Today my walking shoes from the UK, were in 2 different shops for over twice the uk price.
But as you are on your own, your outgoings should be much better than mine!

The best advice I got, which I will pass on . . is only sign a 6mth lease. ALLOT changes in your 1st 6mths here, and you may be glad that you can freely move onto a more suitable place.

Good luck!!
Old May 6th 2011, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

6 month lease is a good point.
Old May 6th 2011, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all your advice. It's truly appreciated!

Steve I think you're right I think it would be excessive to get a two bed flat really, and I guess as long as I have a living room I can get a futon. I will deffinately try and get a 6th month let and reasess my situation after that time.

Can any one give me an idea how long it takes from finding a place (unoccupied) to moving in? I have roughly one week from when I fly to when I start work (as my brother is getting married in the UK) which I'm sure will be cutting it fine!

Cara
Old May 7th 2011, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

How long is a piece of string?

Unfortunately I don't think anyone can answer that for you. But if you search the forums you will have plenty of short term options to keep you going.

www.seqrents.com was helpful for me.

Here's a search for you:
http://www.google.com.au/search?sour...ane+short+term

Just an FYI, I'm not sure if you've visited Brisbane before, but the CBD is not exactly a hive of activity. You might consider some of the inner suburbs like New Farm and Paddington. Fortitude Valley seems to be where most of the action is, but not necessarily the type you want.
Old May 7th 2011, 8:08 am

Alana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to behold

Hey!

We've rented four houses in Brisbane over the last four years.
My advice -for whats its worth!

We always keep a spare room for guests.They tend to stay for a while if coming from the UK and I can't bare people sleeping in my lounge room! Its personal choice though.

6 months lease is definately the best idea-we now sign 12 months leases but its taken 4 houses to be happy to do so!

We rent a 4 bed,2 lounge room house with a swimming pool for $550 per week buts its way out of Brissie.If I was you ,I'd go a bit cheaper and save my money for other things(like travel!) but really,you have to be comfortable with where you live.

Generally,if you see a house,they usually approve you within 2 days to a week and then you are good to move in.Its pretty quick really.

I reckon you'll be ok once you get here and get a lay of the land(so to speak).If you're only signing for 6 months you can see how it goes and change your mind down the line.Brisbane is not cheap but there are loads of free things to do if you look for them.

Good luck!

Andy x
Old May 9th 2011, 9:16 am
Adventure sorted

Hoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Steve2009
How long is a piece of string?

Unfortunately I don't think anyone can answer that for you.
Sorry Steve, but I hate that saying - as an engineer 'obviously its twice as long from either end to the centre!, lol
Old May 9th 2011, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Andy that does sound pretty quick, I was hoping that would be the case

I think I'll book as many viewings as possible for the first couple of days I get there and try and get a place sorted before I start work! Fingers crossed!

Thanks for everyones advice!

Cara x
Old May 10th 2011, 1:40 am
Forum Regular

coldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nice

Originally Posted by Alana and Arrons mum
We rent a 4 bed,2 lounge room house with a swimming pool for $550 per week buts its way out of Brissie.If I was you ,I'd go a bit cheaper and save my money for other things(like travel!) but really,you have to be comfortable with where you live.
That sounds exactly what we're after and our budget. Do you mind me asking how long it takes to get to the CBD, is it commutable? I was thinking by car (parking is arranged) to South Brisbane.

Cheers!
Old May 10th 2011, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

PJLondonSydney is a jewel in the roughPJLondonSydney is a jewel in the roughPJLondonSydney is a jewel in the roughPJLondonSydney is a jewel in the roughPJLondonSydney is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by caralouisem
Hi

You should egt two bedroomand you can definitely get one for under $500 pw close to the city.

Here's a current selection from some very close suburbs;

http://www.realestate.com.au/rent/pr...rrounding=true
Old May 10th 2011, 8:13 am
Adventure sorted

commuting by car is definitely feasible, but strongly depends on the root and more importantly the time of travel.
Congestion and extremely bad driving is rife.

In most places you need to get up very very very early to ensure an easy journey. Also against the general flow of people is good.

I know people that commute and park south side of CBD, from springfield lakes, its only about 30min . .. but they must leave at about 5.30/ 6am! After that it can take 60/ 80mins ++. The return trip is ok, if they are away by 2.30, after that the motorway carparking starts . .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.