Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much rent can we afford

How much rent can we afford

Old Nov 22nd 2008, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

fa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nice
Default How much rent can we afford

I know there is no real true answer to this as each family is different. We are going to be located on the Sunshine coast and will need to rent. Prices there are very high for rental. I should be taking home about $2000 per fortnight. My question is. How much do you think we could afford for rent on this salary?

Many thanks
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much rent can we afford

I don't think anyone can answer that. You don't say how many of you need supporting from that one wage, how many cars you might be wanting to run, how expensive your tastes are for luxuries (eg internet, mobile phones, satalite tv, eating out).
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

fa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nice

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
I don't think anyone can answer that. You don't say how many of you need supporting from that one wage, how many cars you might be wanting to run, how expensive your tastes are for luxuries (eg internet, mobile phones, satalite tv, eating out).
Good point. Family of 5, I think we will only be having 1 car and we are not really into expensive tastes. We would prefer to have a nice location and home first and the money we have left use on the luxuries
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 2:05 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Isnt the old fashioned way of thinking, that you should put aside at least 25% of your monthly wage for accommodation?

Going on that theory.. you're looking at $1000... which works out to be about $250 per week... think you might have to allow a bit more than that due to number of beds that you will need?

Our rental is $360 per week and has 4 workable bedrooms... we are in Peregian Beach, Sunshine coast.. our rental is cheap because it doesnt have a lot of facilities (no oven, dishwasher.. proper windows! ) basic rental..

Em x
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 9:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

It's probably not so much how much you can afford as how much you will have to pay to get a roof over your head. Dont know about the Sunshine Coast but you will get something very ordinary for $400 a week here - you may have to revise your expectations of nice house in nice location.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 9:17 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fa kin su pa
I know there is no real true answer to this as each family is different. We are going to be located on the Sunshine coast and will need to rent. Prices there are very high for rental. I should be taking home about $2000 per fortnight. My question is. How much do you think we could afford for rent on this salary?

Many thanks
1000 per week
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 10:55 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

We would prefer to have a nice location
What is a nice location?

nice and close to the beach?
nice and far from the beach?

nice and near the city?
nice and away from the city?
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 11:07 pm
ABCDiamond

Many thanks
A House In The Heart Of Mooloolaba

$280pw
Downstairs Large family home short walk to Primary school. 3 bedrooms, ensuite, open plan living/dining/kitchen, single lock up garage, in good condition.
http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1227398673

Old Nov 23rd 2008, 1:09 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Many thanks
It really does depend. My DH brings home about $5850 per month (paid twice-monthly, not fortnightly). We are just a family of 3: DH, me & DD (5) although we have another one on the way.

When we were looking for a place to rent, we originally looked about 30mins away from his work (which would have involved us having to get a car, or even 2). At that time, we were looking at a max of $350 per week. But all we could find were grotty little places.

So we decided to look closer to work but nix the idea of having a car. So we found a lovely 3-bed unit for $495. The rent is now $570 per week (we went for a 6mth lease to start with then 12-mth ones, so at least we know the rent will stay the same for the next year). So that works out as about 42% of our income. Which is high, but then we don't have car costs so it's a case of swings & roundabouts really.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 1:10 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
1000 per week
How ridiculous - you're seriously suggesting he spends his entire income on rent? Get real
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 1:22 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TillyG
How ridiculous - you're seriously suggesting he spends his entire income on rent? Get real
Read the question and get a sense of humour
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 2:53 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TillyG
So we found a lovely 3-bed unit for $495. The rent is now $570 per week (we went for a 6mth lease to start with then 12-mth ones, so at least we know the rent will stay the same for the next year).
That is what we thought about a 12 month lease, but turns out they can still put the rent up every 6 months! Ours waited 9 though.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 3:14 am
Its all going south......

betsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of light

we are in caloundra 2mins walk from beach, 2bed $280wk (knocked them down from 300), if you are not too fussy you could get something 3bd for around 320 fairly easily, try currimundi/caloundra west if you are looking at this area x
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

shirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Read the question and get a sense of humour
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 3:34 am
BE Forum Addict

shirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud of

Or do some research online !

These are excellent sites for property searches and you can see what is around you too ie.schools,shops,doctors etc.

www.realestate.com.au

www.chancellorparkrealty.com.au

www.elders.com.au

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.