Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much is a pool?

How much is a pool?

Old Sep 19th 2006, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

markcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the rough
Default How much is a pool?

Ok I've got the important question out of the way about the child car seats - now for the very important question -

How much is a below ground pool and what is an reasonable size (i know it will depend on plot size etc)?

I mean for everything pool, filters, solar heating, landsacping, fences etc.

This is the one thing we would never consider in the uk, but for us it is one of the must haves of our new lifestyle - I can't wait to get in from a days work and have a swim or for those after dark dips with my wife when the kids are in bed ! and of course the kids can't wait to have a pool in the back garden .
Old Sep 19th 2006, 8:01 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much is a pool?

Originally Posted by markcrook
Ok I've got the important question out of the way about the child car seats - now for the very important question -

How much is a below ground pool and what is an reasonable size (i know it will depend on plot size etc)?

This is the one thing we would never consider in the uk, but for us it is one of the must haves of our new lifestyle - I can't wait to get in from a days work and have a swim or for those after dark dips with my wife when the kids are in bed ! and of course the kids can't wait to have a pool in the back garden .
A friend of mine just had one put in, I don't know how big it is because I haven't been around since she had it fitted but she had a big garden. She hasn't had change out of $40k. Ours is 8m x 4m and is just a nice size for us.
Attached Thumbnails How much is a pool?-pool.jpg  

Last edited by northernbird; Sep 19th 2006 at 8:06 am.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 8:03 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

My mate just had hers finished - $70K but it is a lovely big concrete one.

I think the advice I would give is take the quote given and double the amount and times by the ten the amount of time quoted

I just had my concrete recoated in pebble crete - no coping nothing else done = 8K. It looks smashing and I am very pleased.

Cheers
Old Sep 19th 2006, 8:11 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandra
My mate just had hers finished - $70K but it is a lovely big concrete one.

I think the advice I would give is take the quote given and double the amount and times by the ten the amount of time quoted

I just had my concrete recoated in pebble crete - no coping nothing else done = 8K. It looks smashing and I am very pleased.

Cheers

Ours costs about $22k about 3 year ago.
Attached Thumbnails How much is a pool?-dcp_0025.jpg  
Old Sep 19th 2006, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

To get to the stage in pic $18490 with cleaning equip and chem's
Attached Thumbnails How much is a pool?-pool-82-.jpg  
Old Sep 19th 2006, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

With concrete base and then little black blocks and pavers to cover 38 sq mtrs fence and 2 gates approx 10 mtrs x 4 mtrs and antoher fence 3 mtrs x 2 mtrs tall with gate and some planting and electric.......$28,000 ish :scared: ( inc pool) and not done rest of yard yet
Attached Thumbnails How much is a pool?-before.jpg   How much is a pool?-after.jpg  
Old Sep 19th 2006, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

JAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond repute

Our pool was finished on Friday and we are now getting the garden sorted. The pool is about 8 metres by 3.5 metres (we were restricted on size as we have a council easement running down the boundary fence), but we find this more than big enough for us. It is a concrete one with a tile band around.

The cost of the pool with solar heating was around $25K, the paving which was around 50 square metres , fencing and landscaping was around $10K. There are probably lots more bits and pieces which I have forgotten about as it has taken 3 months to get this far. (I am sure it will be worth it).

Julia
Attached Thumbnails How much is a pool?-imgp0881.jpg  
Old Sep 19th 2006, 9:28 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markcrook

Hi Mark.

I'm co-owner of a pool construction company in Perth called Aquability Pools.

I've built pools for a few BE members, and I'd be happy to do a quote for you when you get here.

The link to my website is in my signature at the bottom of this post.
There is a contact e-mail address on the site which comes to me directly if you want to discuss what you're after in more detail.

Cheers... John....
Old Sep 19th 2006, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Stephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond repute

Whats best? Salt water or Freshwater? I heard the salt water were a lot less hassle.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 10:03 am

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Saltwater are much better in my opinion, don't smell like chlorine pool and the water doesn't sting your eyes !

Originally Posted by Stephen
Whats best? Salt water or Freshwater? I heard the salt water were a lot less hassle.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 10:08 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

how on earth do you guys afford to buy or build a Pool!!! it costs sooooooooo much!!! are you all millionaires on here or what!! Since i have been here i have never felt so skint
Old Sep 19th 2006, 10:17 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stephen
Salt water is what everyone is going for now.
Pretty much all the pools we build are salt water.

The pool doesn't taste salty. The chlorinator makes chlorine from the salt added at initial startup of the pool. It's then just a case of adding the odd bag of salt to the pool when needed.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 10:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themerlin
Ours costs about $22k about 3 year ago.
Don't tell Jad. She'll take it as immediate proof how expensive Straya has become.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Downies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: How much is a pool?

Originally Posted by Scossie
Salt water is what everyone is going for now.
Pretty much all the pools we build are salt water.

The pool doesn't taste salty. The chlorinator makes chlorine from the salt added at initial startup of the pool. It's then just a case of adding the odd bag of salt to the pool when needed.
Scossie - I cant find the link to your website, could you re-post please so I can put your details in my little green 'move to oz' websites book as I think this is a major must for us when we get settled in Perth.

Paula
Old Sep 19th 2006, 10:31 am

about the same price get getting new double glazing back in the UK, thats the way I look at it

Originally Posted by paulrachel
how on earth do you guys afford to buy or build a Pool!!! it costs sooooooooo much!!! are you all millionaires on here or what!! Since i have been here i have never felt so skint

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.