Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much over your baggage allowance can you get away with?

How much over your baggage allowance can you get away with?

Old Jun 18th 2007, 9:35 am
C&R
Always the last to leave.

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute
Question How much over your baggage allowance can you get away with?

Am flying with Qantas, and have a measly 20kg limit. Pretty gutted really. Anyway, I am probably going to be over, perhaps by 5 - 6 kilos. Am I likely to be charged for this, or will they take note of the fact I am emigrating and just turn a blind eye?
Old Jun 18th 2007, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much over your baggage allowance can you get away with?

Depends on the person checking you in.

But as someone who has been a frequent flyer (not to Oz) a lot of the check in staff wont let you off with it and will charge you per kg! You get the odd person who is good but more often than not they will charge.

If you want to try get to airport as early as you can. If you are near the back and everyone has checked in they will be more likely to charge you as will be coming closer to baggage amounts.

GEMS
Old Jun 18th 2007, 9:42 am
C&R

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gems
Depends on the person checking you in.

But as someone who has been a frequent flyer (not to Oz) a lot of the check in staff wont let you off with it and will charge you per kg! You get the odd person who is good but more often than not they will charge.

If you want to try get to airport as early as you can. If you are near the back and everyone has checked in they will be more likely to charge you as will be coming closer to baggage amounts.

GEMS
Good tip = thanks alot Gems.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Totally depends on who you get at the checkin desk, how busy the flight is, whether they're in a good mood or not... you take your chances!
Safer way would be to post/airfreight/ship your excess stuff, which will cost you but probably cheaper than paying excess baggage.
I take it you've already spoken to the airline about asking for increased baggage allowance?
Old Jun 18th 2007, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

leigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by C&R
Am flying with Qantas, and have a measly 20kg limit. Pretty gutted really. Anyway, I am probably going to be over, perhaps by 5 - 6 kilos. Am I likely to be charged for this, or will they take note of the fact I am emigrating and just turn a blind eye?
We were extremely lucky. We also should've only been allowed 20kg each with Singapore Airlines. Spoke to them, they agreed 25kg. 3 of us = 75kg. Got to the airport with 4 cases weighing a total of 120kg. They said nothing
Old Jun 18th 2007, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

We've got away with sometimes but other times we've been charged. It seems to depend on who is checking you in, what time you check in and how busy the flight is.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 10:56 am
C&R

Originally Posted by esperanza
Totally depends on who you get at the checkin desk, how busy the flight is, whether they're in a good mood or not... you take your chances!
Safer way would be to post/airfreight/ship your excess stuff, which will cost you but probably cheaper than paying excess baggage.
I take it you've already spoken to the airline about asking for increased baggage allowance?
I think you can only get the increased limit if you are emigrating and validating at the same time. I validated my visa two weeks ago, have come back to pack, and am leaving next week. So because of this I just presumed I would not be allowed the larger limit.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

storms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant future

Hi

Singapore said they would have doubled my allowance if I hadn't validated, but the really nice chap gave me an extra 10kg each, (there is 4 of us) and a letter to hand in at the Aer Lingus Desk when checking in, just hope the Aer Lingus check-in person smiles and allows is the extra 10!!!!!

Storms
Old Jun 18th 2007, 11:52 pm
C&R

Originally Posted by storms
Hi

Singapore said they would have doubled my allowance if I hadn't validated, but the really nice chap gave me an extra 10kg each, (there is 4 of us) and a letter to hand in at the Aer Lingus Desk when checking in, just hope the Aer Lingus check-in person smiles and allows is the extra 10!!!!!

Storms
Thanks for that storms. I am going to give Qantas a call today, and find out if they are willing to let me have some extra weight.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 1:44 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Fly via the USA and get 46kg each, job done.

Buzzy
Old Jun 19th 2007, 2:06 am
C&R

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

Buzzy
tickets booked I'm afraid, plus its a bit of a long way round flying to Australia from China via the States : (
Old Jun 19th 2007, 2:15 am
Banned

AK and CR is just really niceAK and CR is just really niceAK and CR is just really niceAK and CR is just really niceAK and CR is just really niceAK and CR is just really niceAK and CR is just really niceAK and CR is just really nice

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

Buzzy

64 kgs actually

2 x 32 kgs as standard yeeee haarrrrrr!!

aj
Old Jun 19th 2007, 2:24 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AK and CR
64 kgs actually

2 x 32 kgs as standard yeeee haarrrrrr!!

aj
Used to be 2 x 32kg. Don't think anyone offers this any more all the way to Oz, but happy to be corrected.

Buzzy
Old Jun 19th 2007, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

kegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nice

Could someone clarify for me this West route for double baggage allowance.... Is it just the American airlines that offer it, or do all carriers on that route give double allowance?

thanks
Old Jun 19th 2007, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

CassienJames is just really niceCassienJames is just really niceCassienJames is just really niceCassienJames is just really niceCassienJames is just really niceCassienJames is just really niceCassienJames is just really niceCassienJames is just really niceCassienJames is just really nice

C&R
You can usually carry on up to about 10kgs as well, I know it's not ideal but it will definitely give you that bit extra if you need it.
Here is what Quantas offer:

Australian and New Zealand Domestic All Classes:
2 x 105cm (41in) bags or
1 x 105cm (41in) bag plus 1 x 185cm (73in) non rigid garment bag or
1 x 115cm (45in) bag 7kg (15lb) per piece
All Dash aircrafts 1 x 105cm (41in) bag 4kg (9lb) total
All International* First/Business:
2 x 115cm (45in) bags or
1 x 115cm (45in) bag plus 1 x 185cm (73in) non rigid garment bag
Economy:
1 x 115cm (45in) bag or
1 x 185cm (73in) non rigid garment bag 7kg (15lb) per piece
Hope this helps!

Cassie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.