Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much more expensive is Sydney?

How much more expensive is Sydney?

Old Feb 4th 2009, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

highersights is a jewel in the roughhighersights is a jewel in the roughhighersights is a jewel in the roughhighersights is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: How much more expensive is Sydney?

Originally Posted by viviennef
re: not living in outer suburbs

I felt the same which is why I am in the Sunshine Coast. Sydney would have been my home forever though if I didnt have suddenly overactive ovaries and a new business.

Renting is no issue, its when you want to buy its hard to get by. The transport into sydney is really bad - no tube to just get you in on time. The outer areas although some of them are fine, would leave me too far from what I came to Australia for - sun, sea, sand and an outdoor life. I love the fact the city has everything and would need to have been living inner west/north short/eastern suburbs - down as far as maroubra or something to be happy there.

If I won the lottery, I would move back in a flash and keep a holiday home here - its pretty nice here too

Vivienne
Renting at the moment is hellish. In the nice areas you cite...you would compete with up to 80 people (we did - 80!) for a 400-550 p/w property. Buying for us here is out of the question. I can well understand why you left - sad though eh as apart from the housing and transport problems Sydney is a great place.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 10:11 pm

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

I did ok renting although it was a bit harder with a dog. I lived in potts point, then darlinghurst and then drummoyne. I loved all of them for different reasons.

With renting I had a pack together in a presentation folder with references form previous rental owners, my resume, application forms completed for any potential viewing, letters from the vet as reference for my dog, an offer of rent in advance and a personalised letter to the owner introducing myself and how I would look after the property.

I woudl hand it in on viewing as an application so usually I was in first and also had the least background checking to do so the lazy real estates could just make a couple of calls and away we went.

I got all of the properties I applied for, even though my dog isnt a poodle! they were all very nice houses $400 - 600. I found it harder to find non-dives in the right price but managed quite well.

They thought I was a freak but once I did it the first time it wasnt too hard to update it - my dog was my issue and I wanted to negate his effect! Hes an inside dog and nice houses often dont like that.

Vivienne

Last edited by viviennef; Feb 4th 2009 at 10:14 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

highersights is a jewel in the roughhighersights is a jewel in the roughhighersights is a jewel in the roughhighersights is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by viviennef
I did ok renting although it was a bit harder with a dog. I lived in potts point, then darlinghurst and then drummoyne. I loved all of them for different reasons.

With renting I had a pack together in a presentation folder with references form previous rental owners, my resume, application forms completed for any potential viewing, letters from the vet as reference for my dog, an offer of rent in advance and a personalised letter to the owner introducing myself and how I would look after the property.

I woudl hand it in on viewing as an application so usually I was in first and also had the least background checking to do so the lazy real estates could just make a couple of calls and away we went.

I got all of the properties I applied for, even though my dog isnt a poodle! they were all very nice houses $400 - 600. I found it harder to find non-dives in the right price but managed quite well.

They thought I was a freak but once I did it the first time it wasnt too hard to update it - my dog was my issue and I wanted to negate his effect! Hes an inside dog and nice houses often dont like that.

Vivienne
We found it used to be easy, but the times they are a changed (2008 anyway). We have a dog too (a Moodle) - it seems to cut down your options by 90% as most owners/agents simply won't even consider it - they don't need to, and may Strata agreements for units/townhouses forbid dogs.

The problem now is the very low vacancy rate. We only our house because we got to know the agent (a rare nice one who simply wanted a nice family for the owner, not the most money). In 2003-6 it was different - they used to hand over the keys and it was all quite easy! However, as you say, the best way is to be totally prepared with masses of documentation - we did that in the end too.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks everyone. Keeping lots of documents handy is a useful advice that I was totally unaware of.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 6:01 am
SNH
BE Enthusiast

SNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rapido
I would personally go for the rural option in Oz rather than live in the anonymous, sprawling outer suburbs of Sydney. You could be in any city in Australia living out there, because there's nothing really that defines it as 'Sydney', if you know what I mean.

That is absolutely true. Well, not necessarily 'rural' Australia, but I would definitely try a different city.

I spend A LOT of time in Sydney, in all different places. The suburbs further out are not 'Sydney' in any way. It is just sprawling suburbia that could be anywhere. There seems to be no point living somewhere like that when you could move somewhere else with more character and be much closer to a city's attractions - and beaches, if you choose somewhere on the coast.

I don't know if it's still true, but Sydney used to cover more land than any other city in the world. Small population, but sprawling suburbs for miles in just about every direction.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by SNH
That is absolutely true. Well, not necessarily 'rural' Australia, but I would definitely try a different city.

I spend A LOT of time in Sydney, in all different places. The suburbs further out are not 'Sydney' in any way. It is just sprawling suburbia that could be anywhere. There seems to be no point living somewhere like that when you could move somewhere else with more character and be much closer to a city's attractions - and beaches, if you choose somewhere on the coast.

I don't know if it's still true, but Sydney used to cover more land than any other city in the world. Small population, but sprawling suburbs for miles in just about every direction.
Well, I'm sponsored by NSW, so am ethically bound to live there for a couple of years. Worse yet, my experience is in business banking..... that probably restricts my job opportunties down to Sydney CBD.