Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much money are we all taking?

How much money are we all taking?

Old Mar 20th 2008, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

brissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond repute
Default How much money are we all taking?

Allright folks

After reading through the forum for awhile now I cant help notice that folk are heading with a wad of cash on thier tails after selling homes etc.

When I first went backpacking I only had 1500K sterling and man it was a struggle.

Me and the strife will be lucky if we have got 5K between us when we arrive this time, albeight on a permenant visa.

Is there anyone else out there who has just went with so little money and managed to do okay?

Obvioulsy we would have to take any job asap in the interim until we landed our proper jobs in Brisbane.

Im a software tester and my wife is a trainer so we would be okay IF we were working.

Starting to become a bit squeaky pants time!

Cheers

Jamie
Old Mar 20th 2008, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How much money are we all taking?

I'm going to be taking less than £15k with me.

It'll have to be enough!
Old Mar 20th 2008, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

SW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really nice

We're scrimping and saving as much as possible, selling up everything here before we leave, hoping to take in the region of £10k.

OH is Zimbabwean, knows a lot of people in Perth already so we've been promised a lot of bits and pieces to get us started. Although we're in very early stages of the process, it's nice to know that we'll be ok.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

brissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond repute

Got a couple of pals in Brisbane who hopefully will still be there otherwise just move into very cheap accomodation like a hostel until we get any sort of job.

Although I reckon 10,000 oz dollars you could pay a couple of months up front rent and live ok for a couple of months before the panic hit in!!

Hope springs eternal!
Old Mar 20th 2008, 11:20 pm
Emily, Luke and Libby

lewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud of

Hi

We only took £5k what we found hard, but done it!
I went with no job, with that money we got an old car, also the rent bond,
what did not leave us with much after about 2/3 weeks i got a job and have not looked back.

Just remember with £5k you have to come over to work and not having a holiday like some people do.

Lew
Old Mar 20th 2008, 11:27 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brissybound
Allright folks

After reading through the forum for awhile now I cant help notice that folk are heading with a wad of cash on thier tails after selling homes etc.

When I first went backpacking I only had 1500K sterling and man it was a struggle.

Me and the strife will be lucky if we have got 5K between us when we arrive this time, albeight on a permenant visa.

Is there anyone else out there who has just went with so little money and managed to do okay?

Obvioulsy we would have to take any job asap in the interim until we landed our proper jobs in Brisbane.

Im a software tester and my wife is a trainer so we would be okay IF we were working.

Cheers

Jamie
Came with $60,000 of debt, you'll be fine if you want it to be fine.

Plenty of IT jobs around.

Enjoy!
Old Mar 20th 2008, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of light

There has been a very good and honest post in the update forum of a positive experience of emmigrating without having a fortune to take with them.
Somebody always posts the link to this post when a similar one gets started, this time it will be me, and I suggest that everyone reads it regardless of the amount of money you have to take. I, like many others, have found it to be inspirational.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=421240

Hope this helps.

Johnnyyt
Old Mar 21st 2008, 12:04 am
Just Joined

Chalkface is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: How much money are we all taking?

Originally Posted by brissybound
Allright folks

Cheers

Jamie
Jamie,

Must give you a reality check

We just moved over to QLD before Xmas. Hubbie is an Auctioneer & Real estate agent (11 yrs experience,management etc) I am a teacher (10 yrs exp) We are yet to start working , not from the lack of trying, but because of the red tape & paperwork (re-training etc- getting Ozzie qualifications)

Hubbie has been offered many jobs in the last 3 weeks, accepted one , but still had to go back to college to get Ozzie qualifications even though he has a diploma from Uk & Ireland- he can start in 6 weeks when the Office of Fair Traiding post him a registration number!!

I have had to submit my documents to QLD board of education, they take 6-8 weeks to get back with a registration number, then I have to submit THAT one to the Catholic, State & Independent school system ( they take another few weeks) Then I have to get a job!! We had also found it very difficult to find a rental (as many Expats do) without Ozzie references, We ended up putting 6 months up front to secure our place.

WIth the delay in working, transport, food, rent, some kind of entertainment etc, I would be very wary on 5k.

We absolutley LOVE it here,and things are falling into place for us now.

There are people who have come here with little or no money & been a success, there are also people who have come here with tens of thousands, stayed for a year, blew all the dosh & gone home skint (through lack of research & bad luck)

Make sure you are 100% sure you can work (ie correct papers & certificates etc) when you land in Oz, you should be ok.

BTW, Really admire the positive attitude, that will take you guys a long way! Fair play to you !!
Old Mar 21st 2008, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

JPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to all

bugger all if the house doesnt sell
Old Mar 21st 2008, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Chalkface
Jamie,

Must give you a reality check

We just moved over to QLD before Xmas. Hubbie is an Auctioneer & Real estate agent (11 yrs experience,management etc) I am a teacher (10 yrs exp) We are yet to start working , not from the lack of trying, but because of the red tape & paperwork (re-training etc- getting Ozzie qualifications)

Hubbie has been offered many jobs in the last 3 weeks, accepted one , but still had to go back to college to get Ozzie qualifications even though he has a diploma from Uk & Ireland- he can start in 6 weeks when the Office of Fair Traiding post him a registration number!!

I have had to submit my documents to QLD board of education, they take 6-8 weeks to get back with a registration number, then I have to submit THAT one to the Catholic, State & Independent school system ( they take another few weeks) Then I have to get a job!! We had also found it very difficult to find a rental (as many Expats do) without Ozzie references, We ended up putting 6 months up front to secure our place.

WIth the delay in working, transport, food, rent, some kind of entertainment etc, I would be very wary on 5k.

We absolutley LOVE it here,and things are falling into place for us now.

There are people who have come here with little or no money & been a success, there are also people who have come here with tens of thousands, stayed for a year, blew all the dosh & gone home skint (through lack of research & bad luck)

Make sure you are 100% sure you can work (ie correct papers & certificates etc) when you land in Oz, you should be ok.

BTW, Really admire the positive attitude, that will take you guys a long way! Fair play to you !!

Thanks I understand what you mean.

Fortunatley my degree and industry certification hold up in Oz.

Im under no illusions that it may take a while to get the IT job im looking for but me nad the missus will be willing to do anything(within reason) until that happens.

Fortunately we both have plenty of years experience doing basic customer service, mundane office type jobs so we should be okay temping etc. I have no doubt thats whatb we will be doing meantime.

Luckily as well my friend in Brissy her dad rents property and i also know a guy who ive met form a brisbane fishing website who's promised to help us out in that department.

If the worst came to the worst we would have to check into a hostel as we both have plenty experience living in backpackers.

Thanks everyone for all the advice on the thread, going to read the inspirational thread now, im at the "cant sleep, up early" stage now!

Take care

Jamie
Old Mar 21st 2008, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by johnnyyt
There has been a very good and honest post in the update forum of a positive experience of emmigrating without having a fortune to take with them.
Somebody always posts the link to this post when a similar one gets started, this time it will be me, and I suggest that everyone reads it regardless of the amount of money you have to take. I, like many others, have found it to be inspirational.

Hope this helps.

Johnnyyt
Brilliant Post.

Its very true. When I lived here for a year as a backpacker I never worked so hard for so little financial reward in my life.

I think as long as you go with the attitude that you will be willing to work anywhere and for less than the Uk, until you find your feet then you should always be right.

No point comparing anything to the UK, your not there no more!

Cheers

Jamie
Old Mar 21st 2008, 8:47 am

mary1967 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by johnnyyt

Hope this helps.

Johnnyyt
Thanks, i'll have a good read later.

Originally Posted by JPSUPERHOOPER
bugger all if the house doesnt sell
you and me both!!!

Before the world market went into free fall, we had about 25,000 in shares and endowments, now we'll be lucky to get about 12,000 The house isn't attracting any viewers either, all doom and gloom at the moment.

I want to get over there by October, keep telling my OH that 10,000 will be enough for me and the kids to live on if he stays in the UK til the house sells. Not an ideal situation, but possibly the only way the mortgage will get paid, as he's not got a job to go to in OZ and is worried that we'll end up with no money. We've thought about renting our house out here, but again, we'd still have to go through the nightmare of selling at some point, but we'd be trying to do it from the other side of the world

Anyone got a crystal ball?
Old Mar 21st 2008, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

scousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nice

[/QUOTE]im at the "cant sleep, up early" stage now!

Take care

You and me too Jamie! When do you travel?

Carol x
Old Mar 21st 2008, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

im at the "cant sleep, up early" stage now!

Take care

You and me too Jamie! When do you travel?

Carol x[/QUOTE]

HI Carol

Thas me just got a message from my friend in Brsibane.

Her and her man have got a house we can move into 4 bedrooms at 1600$ a month, her dads in real estate so were lucky like that.

It was going to be August but we might just go sooner now with even less money as we have somehere to live. She reckons I can get work on a building site casual with my mate until I get work so you know what we might be going sooner than I thought!

Ive got the shakes typing this!

Cheers

Jamie
Old Mar 21st 2008, 9:50 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Relatively few come over with a 'big wad of cash'. Some do, but some more possibly exaggerate because they think everyone else is taking stacks and don't want anyone 'looking down' on them. No one would, but I think that's what happens in some people's heads. Ignore what other people say they are taking, it's irrelevant to your situation anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.