Reload this Page >

How much money to take?

How much money to take?

Old Jan 14th 2010, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

briggs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How much money to take?

Hi,

Me and my partner will be migrating to south australia this feb 2010.

We will be taking only £5k with us.

SA have provided us with the on arrival accommodation which is fully furnished for 3 months. rent to be $250 a week.

Do you think this amount would be ok to take with us?

Thank you
Old Jan 14th 2010, 2:18 pm
Account Closed

Aussie30 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How much money to take?

I'm not really sure, I guess it depends on what you are going to need when you get there? Are you buying a car? Have you got work lined up and access to any savings?
When we moved to the UK we were amazed at how much ot cost just to set ourselves up over there for a year. Good Luck

Which part of SA are you moving to? I'm from Adelaide
Old Jan 14th 2010, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by briggs
Hi,

SA have provided us with the on arrival accommodation which is fully furnished for 3 months. rent to be $250 a week.

Thank you
Assuming AUD 3,000 expense per month in Perth, you can live on this money for roughly 3 months. As you lucky to have SA furnished accommodation for this 3 months, you won't have to incur expenses such as bond money, rent advance etc.

However, one of you need to find a job within 3 months.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 3:13 am
Forum Regular

RobertC is a jewel in the roughRobertC is a jewel in the roughRobertC is a jewel in the roughRobertC is a jewel in the roughRobertC is a jewel in the rough

You will be able to set up an OZ bank account when you are here and will then have the ability to perform electronic funds transfers from your UK accounts.

5k UKP (or AU $9000 ish) is plenty to bring in cash, probably more than you'd need though, I'd be worried about it getting lost or stolen. Your credit cards and UK cashpoint cards will work here too although they don't offer the best exchange rates.

Mind you, the way things are heading, in a few years 5k UKP will be worth about AU $1000 so it will eventually be too little to bring for even a weekend away
Old Jan 15th 2010, 3:33 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thank you
You need to bring every penny you can get your hands on!

If all you have is £5k, then thats all you can bring, and I suggest you try and get work of some kind asap.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobertC
You will be able to set up an OZ bank account when you are here and will then have the ability to perform electronic funds transfers from your UK accounts.

5k UKP (or AU $9000 ish) is plenty to bring in cash, probably more than you'd need though, I'd be worried about it getting lost or stolen. Your credit cards and UK cashpoint cards will work here too although they don't offer the best exchange rates.

Mind you, the way things are heading, in a few years 5k UKP will be worth about AU $1000 so it will eventually be too little to bring for even a weekend away
I think that is all they have in the world so if that is the case stay in the uk untill you have more to take with you. I am taking enough hopfully to be morgage free & still worrie if I have enough. Dont give up but give yourself a chance.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 6:51 am
Living on the Gold Coast

Spellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to behold

We did it on a bit less! We were very lucky and it was a bit of a scary thing to do.

We paid $370 week rent for an unfurnished house plus bond etc. We hired a car and bought an airbed, bedding, some kitchen stuff and a couple of camping chairs until our container arrived 6 weeks later.

Husband had a job to come over to though and started almost straight away on weekly money. Luckily I got a job within the first couple of weeks too, paid fortnightly, so it didn't take too long before we got settled.

It can work out and not everyone has a pot of gold. Sometimes I think it makes you work harder at getting to your goal, if you have less, its all about survival. Good Luck to you.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spellbound
We did it on a bit less! We were very lucky and it was a bit of a scary thing to do.

We paid $370 week rent for an unfurnished house plus bond etc. We hired a car and bought an airbed, bedding, some kitchen stuff and a couple of camping chairs until our container arrived 6 weeks later.

Husband had a job to come over to though and started almost straight away on weekly money. Luckily I got a job within the first couple of weeks too, paid fortnightly, so it didn't take too long before we got settled.

It can work out and not everyone has a pot of gold. Sometimes I think it makes you work harder at getting to your goal, if you have less, its all about survival. Good Luck to you.
they have said on another site that they have no job to come to.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 6:58 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thank you
You can do it but it's going to be tight. OAA does not provide linens or towels, so bring sleeping bags and towels or you will be forced to buy these when you arrive. Setting up groceries can be expensive, but if you shop at Bi-Lo you can get things a lot cheaper than Wollies, Coles or IGA. The bus system is pretty good, and you can buy ten-ride tickets which cut the cost of riding the bus while you're looking for work.

Don't forget you're going to need a deposit for your long-term rental and set up costs for utilities, etc. Even after you get a rental you're going to need to buy things for it like a fridge, which will start eating into your funds. If you budget really well and get work soon after arrival you should be ok.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 7:04 am
Living on the Gold Coast

Spellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by eugene43
they have said on another site that they have no job to come to.
I didnt know that.

I think that we still would have come on that budget, job or no job, as we were determined to by that stage.

Hopefully the OP will have skills in areas of high demand, as its definitely quite a risky thing to do.

Look and think about the worst case scenario too, would be my advice and have a plan in case the worse happens.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 7:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I think I am with Eugene on this one. No way would I move if I had no job to go to and only £5k available. I would save up a bit more first or at least wait until I have a few irons in the fire jobwise.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light

I will be taking £10k and have subsidised rental for 4 weeks but will be starting my job 10 days after arriving. think I would have nervous break down(which i am not far from now ) if I had no job to go to.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

If you both are in your late twenties or early thirties..... I say just go for it, don't look back. Worse come to worst, it will be an expensive holiday and you can always come back home and start from where you left off.

If you had kids though, I would have said wait till you save more money.

Job market is picking up now. I guess both of you are employable, for whatever trade you are in. This means you have twice the chance of making it all work for you in Australia, compared to a single person or single income family.

Hey, what you got to loose anyways? Give it a go!
Old Jan 15th 2010, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

davidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to all

dont want to put you down but in the end we brought just over $50,000 aussie dollar and we dont have a cent left. but we did by all new furniture and a car and paid 24k towards a college course etc etc all we really came with was our suit cases, but i think you can do it we live quite cheaply at the moment, i think its about on par with the uk living costs (gold coast) i think you can do it and i think you should it will be the best thing you ever did. you will last where theres a will theres a way! good luck