Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much money for immigration?

How much money for immigration?

Old Dec 10th 2005, 12:10 am
Chloe (and/or Steven)

chloe will become famous soon enough
Default How much money for immigration?

Hi - I'm a French nurse planning to migrate to Australia with my husband. The immigration application asks how much money we are planning to bring, saying we should have enough not to work for two years (!).

My question, does anyone know how much we have to bring? Will our application be rejected if we're bringing too low an amount? Do we need to borrow money?

It seems a little incredible. I can't possibly imagine that both of us will be unemployed for two years. If there was that little demand for nurses, we wouldn't be migrating there, would we?

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I'd appreciate them. Thank you.
Old Dec 10th 2005, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

thribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much money for immigration?

Originally Posted by chloe
Hi - I'm a French nurse planning to migrate to Australia with my husband. The immigration application asks how much money we are planning to bring, saying we should have enough not to work for two years (!).

My question, does anyone know how much we have to bring? Will our application be rejected if we're bringing too low an amount? Do we need to borrow money?

It seems a little incredible. I can't possibly imagine that both of us will be unemployed for two years. If there was that little demand for nurses, we wouldn't be migrating there, would we?

I don't know if that's true or not, to be honest. We're bringing enough to live for 3 months, but we're spending that travelling. We declared about $10,000 on our form, and nobody queried. I found it hard to estimate how much money we'd have when we moved when I was filling in the form, so it was a bit of a finger in the air moment.

Perhaps the immigration forum would be able to help?
Old Dec 10th 2005, 7:27 am
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice

Originally Posted by chloe

It sounds to me Chloe (bear in mind I am no expert) that you are possibly looking at a temporary visa when instead you should be looking at something that will give you Permanent Residency!!??
Old Dec 10th 2005, 2:57 pm
Never been to Australia

kevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ROBnCAZ
It sounds to me Chloe (bear in mind I am no expert) that you are possibly looking at a temporary visa when instead you should be looking at something that will give you Permanent Residency!!??

Just put down roughly how much you think you are bringing or just make it up, nobody checks, unless you need the $100,000 bond for 5 points that is.

I think the way they see it if you can't support yourself thats your look out, I'm sure you know you aren't entitled to support, except child benefit, for 2 years anyway.

Kevin
Old Dec 11th 2005, 1:43 am
Chloe (and/or Steven)

chloe will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by kevinl
Just put down roughly how much you think you are bringing or just make it up, nobody checks, unless you need the $100,000 bond for 5 points that is.

I think the way they see it if you can't support yourself thats your look out, I'm sure you know you aren't entitled to support, except child benefit, for 2 years anyway.

Kevin

OK, great. Thanks to everyone. Thanks very much.

It is, yes, for the Independent Skilled perrmanent migration - there's something about enought to support yourselves for two years any income. We were just worried they'd ask us to show we had that much (which we certainly do, assuming the pigeons are easy to catch and the weather stays good ).