Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much money did you take down under?

How much money did you take down under?

Old Apr 28th 2009, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

Kirby Reynolds is on a distinguished road
Default How much money did you take down under?

Hi Just wondered how much money people took with them down under and if they found that money enough to cope with? Did you leave any behind and how much did you use for putting down on a property you bought?
Old Apr 29th 2009, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

wullieb1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How much money did you take down under?

Originally Posted by Kirby Reynolds
Hi Just wondered how much money people took with them down under and if they found that money enough to cope with? Did you leave any behind and how much did you use for putting down on a property you bought?
$5.5k. Yes. No and none as we rent.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

seanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to all

We were planning to take $60k but the way the exchange rate is going it will be less

The plan was to :-

Spend $17k on a 4-5 year old 4x4
3 months rent + bond @ $400 - $500 per week
$5-$6k on white goods to replace ones we have left behind

Live of the missus' sponsored job whilst I get my handicap down on the golf course

Good plans and all that, probably go tits up from the start!!
Old Apr 29th 2009, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

We took just under $1 million and managed to scrape by
Old Apr 29th 2009, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

painter in aus will become famous soon enoughpainter in aus will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MartinH
We took just under $1 million and managed to scrape by
Scrape by...........wow
Old Apr 29th 2009, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

If all goes to plan, we hope to bring our 'retirement funds' over to Australia by 2012 - and that (depending on how the house-sale pans out) is hopefully $2 - $3 million to see the 2 of us through the rest of our lives.

It may sound like a lot, but not when you're expected to live till 75 or 80, and have to content with diseases of ageing and ever rising costs & inflation...
Old Apr 29th 2009, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

edman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by xizzles
If all goes to plan, we hope to bring our 'retirement funds' over to Australia by 2012 - and that (depending on how the house-sale pans out) is hopefully $2 - $3 million to see the 2 of us through the rest of our lives.

It may sound like a lot, but not when you're expected to live till 75 or 80, and have to content with diseases of ageing and ever rising costs & inflation...
You are right...2 or 3 is not a lot to live on for maybe 30 years... My mate reckons for a comfortable retirement you need 4 plus the house paid off ! Most people of course never will see anything like this sum and manage to live happy lives....like all things, it depends on your lifestyle and requirements.
The more you have the more expensive your life gets.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 1:06 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by xizzles

I feel sooooo depressed now :-(

- CDM
Old Apr 29th 2009, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

edman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CDM
I feel sooooo depressed now :-(

- CDM
no depression please....happiness alway is there money on no money
of course if you want money and loads of it ....well.....get working on how to
get more !! You might be amazed what you can get....

Otherwise never mind .... the sun shine is free and the beer is cheap !
Old Apr 30th 2009, 3:08 am
Just Joined

PATHAN is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by edman
no depression please....happiness alway is there money on no money
of course if you want money and loads of it ....well.....get working on how to
get more !! You might be amazed what you can get....

Otherwise never mind .... the sun shine is free and the beer is cheap !
Hello everyone

I recently got my PR skilled visa. I am single,male, 28 years old from south asia. No acquaintance in Australia. Totally a new land for me. How much minimum amount of money do you suggest to take with me?
Old Apr 30th 2009, 3:29 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Kirby Reynolds
We had about $50k in all which we are still living on. Still own a house here and a house in the UK so we'll not buy until we sell one or both of them, but they should net a decent amount.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 4:26 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

We took 2.3million UK pounds with us and we have some left which should last us about 2 more years - we have been here a year now. After that we will have to get jobs

Things have cost us dearly really and we never realised we would spend quite so much. Although we are mortgage free it is still a struggle to maintain our lifestyle and I am not looking forward to slaving away on a 45 hour week.

We actually came over with no equity and 7,000 UK pounds.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 6:20 am
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

We came over with no equity and our last 2 months pay checks...............that was in October 2006. We did stay with rellies at first and actually found work the week we were down to less than $100 in the bank

We have now bought a beautiful house in Springfield Lakes after renting for 12 months and have never looked back or regretted moving over here.

Just glad we timed finding work so well I shudder to think what would have happened if OH hadn't started work the week our bank account showed (I think it was) $68 in credit............................

Loz x