Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much money......

How much money......

Old Jan 9th 2011, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

debs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nice
Default How much money......

Hi Guys

We are looking to move over to Perth in the next few months and have sold our house but will be keeping a buy to let over here in the UK.

As you can appreciate the exchange rate at the moment from the UK to the Aussie Dollar is less than desirable and for that reason I am worried about how much money to bring initially; and leave the rest in the UK until hopefully the exchange rate gets better (fingers crossed).

Can anybody please advise me what is roughly a good amount to bring for say the first year (I know you are probably thinking how long is a piece of string). We are a family of 4 with a daughter of 18 and son of nearly 7.

Your advice in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Debbie
Old Jan 9th 2011, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

lynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nice
Default Re: How Much Money to Initially Bring?

Hi Debbie
You will likely get many more replies if you start a new thread with this question, as opposed to replying to an existing thread. Send me a PM if you need some help.
Lynette
Old Jan 10th 2011, 6:10 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much money......

Moved it for you.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debs1966
Hi Guys

We are looking to move over to Perth in the next few months and have sold our house but will be keeping a buy to let over here in the UK.

As you can appreciate the exchange rate at the moment from the UK to the Aussie Dollar is less than desirable and for that reason I am worried about how much money to bring initially; and leave the rest in the UK until hopefully the exchange rate gets better (fingers crossed).

Can anybody please advise me what is roughly a good amount to bring for say the first year (I know you are probably thinking how long is a piece of string). We are a family of 4 with a daughter of 18 and son of nearly 7.

Many thanks

Debbie
Just to clarify, are you not expecting to be earning in the first year? I started work immediately and received my first pay 3 weeks after landing. Just to buy some basics and put a deposit down on a rental house we started with £10,000 - well it was actually £30,000 but the rest was spent on a car, cashflow was tight for the first few weeks but we also wanted to convert as little as possible to begin with.

I really wouldn't fancy living here for a year with no income, spending pounds for that period would be bad (e.g. £3 for a loaf of decent bread, £5 for a beer etc)...

Last edited by freebo; Jan 10th 2011 at 6:47 am.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 6:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if I would be thinking in terms of how much money to bring for the first year, I would be thinking how do I need to bring over to get my through the next month or two. And then keep reviewing.

I know the exchange rate might get worse and indeed it has since we moved over, but we decided that we will sit it out and would bring over just enough to keep us going and would try to get as self sufficient as possible on Australian salaries as soon as possible.

So we transferred over a few thousand at a time as we needed it at first. Very easy to do with ozforex and the transaction fees are not high so it was not particularly expensive to do it that way.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I don't know if I would be thinking in terms of how much money to bring for the first year, I would be thinking how do I need to bring over to get my through the next month or two. And then keep reviewing.

I know the exchange rate might get worse and indeed it has since we moved over, but we decided that we will sit it out and would bring over just enough to keep us going and would try to get as self sufficient as possible on Australian salaries as soon as possible.

So we transferred over a few thousand at a time as we needed it at first. Very easy to do with ozforex and the transaction fees are not high so it was not particularly expensive to do it that way.
Same as us. Transferred the bare minimum a bit at a time and got Ozzy jobs as soon as possible.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 8:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

How much you need is that how long is a piece of string question... you PR? or temp? What job do you have? Do you have a job to start as soon as you get here? Some peeps dont get work as quickly as they think they will.. Are you bringing ALL your stuff or do you need to set up again here? Are you buying a brand new car or a second hand one? Porshe or Ferrarri?

Living costs are quite high here... and I think EVERYONE underestimates the amount of cash it takes to get started... we did it on a shoestring and I started working within two weeks of arriving...
Old Jan 10th 2011, 9:03 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debs1966
Hi Guys

Many thanks

Debbie
How much you got? If I were to say $500k would you be able to bring that if you only have 30k?