Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much for life we want in Brisbane

How much for life we want in Brisbane

Old Aug 17th 2009, 2:53 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much for life we want in Brisbane

Personally I would wait.

The lifestyle we all want has to be worked hard for and might not come as soon as we would like it.

Save a decent sized deposit, get some emergency savings behind you and buy the house you really want when you can comfortably afford to do so.

Its a huge investment so best to get it right.

It might take a couple of years but it will be worth it.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 3:02 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
I'd be surprised if you could buy a house in Kenmore for $450k. It's considered to be one of the nicer suburbs of Brisbane. You might get a townhouse or a unit, but I doubt very much a house.
There are plenty for sale at the moment that will go for between $400 and $450k.

In the first 6months of 2009 there were 24 sales $300k>$450k, 29 x $450k>$550k, 13 * $550k>$650k and 3 over $650k.

If I were buying a place in that area, I would be careful to purchase every available inspection/report to make sure I knew what I was getting into.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 3:55 pm
Account Closed

Tooterelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brendarover
Spikey,

My advice;

Firstly i am not a home owner, secondly i have never been a home owner, thirdly, i never intend to be a home owner, and finally until you actually pay off your mortgage, you are never a home owner, you rent from the bank.

Admittedly you make headway by paying off the loan, so eventually own, but i am a strange cat, love flexibility, so have no interest in owning a house.

But i do comment alot on house prices, only because i love to wind up the locals on here, the majority are home renters from the bank, with one or more negative geared investment sheds, but thats another story.

Look mate, forget buying, rent, and keep renting until house prices resume to long term trend, which they will when you can borrow 2.5 times your joint income to buy an AVERAGE house, then that is the time to buy, NOT NOW!

It will return, its just the majority do not understand the laws of science, sorry economics. Sanity will return to the market, why take the hit of a big mortgage, in a falling market when you can rent at half the cost of a mortgage, (rising cost, interest rates), let the landlord take the hit for a falling asset value, all the maintenance costs, water rates, all the sh!t?

Just rent, if all these wonderfull amateur landlords are willing to take the hit, let them, pay the rent, enjoy flexibility, enjoy life, let them spend all their time on here like ABC Diamond trying to convice the sheep that house prices are reasonable and will not fall!

Night.

Great post!
Old Aug 17th 2009, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spikeyjo
Hi,

My wife and I are currently waiting for our visa's and still deliberating if we can afford the life we want in Oz.

In a nutshell, we would like to buy a $450k house in Kenmore/Bellbowrie area of Brisbane and would put down about $25k as a deposit.

We think we can both get jobs at about $50k per year each.

My question is, on these salaries can we afford a $425k mortgage, plus bills, cars, living costs etc etc.

I read the average mortgage in Oz is $300k and am now starting to worry if the lifestyle we want is actually affordable?

Please do not e-mail any sarcastics 'depends on your lifestyle', 'depends on what type of car you want' etc etc.

I have come on for some genuine help.

We are an ordinary family, with ordinary tastes and just want to know if the above is acheivable before we take the plunge.

I appreciate all the lifestyle options Oz offers, the free stuff beach etc, but want to know from a financial angle what we should be expecting. We have 2 young kids and want to offer them the best opportunities poss.

Heres hoping, many thanks
Only a fool would buy a house in Australia 2009/2010, so you should factor that into your calculations. Rent is relatively cheap in Aus and houses are 60% over-valued with an imminent correction.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 4:37 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hereandthere
Only a fool would buy a house in Australia 2009/2010, so you should factor that into your calculations. Rent is relatively cheap in Aus and houses are 60% over-valued with an imminent correction.
Based on what?
Old Aug 17th 2009, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Based on what?

On a simple average housing affordability/wage ratio.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 4:45 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

On an over-simplified average housing affordability/wage ratio.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 4:46 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

On a simple average housing affordability/wage ratio.
So you are predicting that as Australia comes out of recession, house prices will fall. That's an interesting position to take.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 4:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
Cheeky . . .!
Old Aug 17th 2009, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by asprilla
It doesn't matter to me whether people accept it or not because it is a fact that Australian house prices are totally unaffordable and are coming down a lot over the next two years as they play catch-up with the rest of the world.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
So you are predicting that as Australia comes out of recession, house prices will fall. That's an interesting position to take.
No. I am predicting that when Australia goes into recession, and possible depression, next year, house prices will fall.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 4:50 pm
Account Open

It doesn't matter to me whether people accept it or not because it is a fact that Australian house prices are totally unaffordable and are coming down a lot over the next two years as they play catch-up with the rest of the world.
I reckon you're right, they'll come down a bit... but 60% is too good to be true. And things that are too good to be true, are usually....false.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 4:51 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Or someone who wants a house, can afford one and doesn't want to put up with the restrictions of renting.
Our friends have had to move 3 times in 18 months. A house is much more than an investment as far as I'm concerned.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 4:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

". . . I see a tall man in a fedora . . . and those with the initial FO will be lucky too . . . "
Old Aug 17th 2009, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spartacus
". . . I see a tall man in a fedora . . . and those with the initial FO will be lucky too . . . "
You're confusing predicting future events with reading present-day economic facts, such as, in this case, a multiple of 6 or 7 times ther average wage being required to buy a house = unaffordable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.