Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

how much income for a normal life?

how much income for a normal life?

Old Dec 11th 2004, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

SHEETY is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: how much income for a normal life?

Thanks to all of you for your help and comments The more I look into all this The more I feel like not going Oh well looks like it is down to flipping a coin Heads or tails anybody?
Old Dec 11th 2004, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SHEETY
Thanks for the reply yes to the family one wife one child and the $14 was the lowest pay that I came across after emailing a couple of companies.So cranbourne is a no go then, where would you recommend to live that is not a million miles away from dandenong as this seems to be where the work is based at?

Mulgrave, Berwick (a bit of a drive), Glen Waverley - all good places.
Old Dec 11th 2004, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by G'Day
Minimum wage for a qualified tradesperson is $18.h, I think you were looking at junior wages. What were you looking at paying for a home, which area? I live around here (SE subs) and know which are the cheaper areas (looking at real estate myself right now). If you do not have to pay rent or morgage you will be fine on $45000. We're a family of 5 and, paying rent of $1200/month, we can still make it on $ 50 000 per month if we needed to. I work as well so we have two incomes and can live better than that, but I know our budget is such that I only buy the "extras".

Hi we were looking at taking £100,000 with us but we would rent for a while until things were settled It would more than likely be only me working as my daughter is only 4 bless her so she will need mum at home.We were originally looking at Adelaide but work looked better around the Melbourne area we were looking around the SE area too.
Old Dec 11th 2004, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

Mulgrave, Berwick (a bit of a drive), Glen Waverley - all good places.
I will have a look on the property sites and se what turns up thanks for all your help
Old Dec 11th 2004, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

I will have a look on the property sites and se what turns up thanks for all your help

Sheety, Cranbourne North is not so bad. There's a new development called Lynbrooke where my friend lives, very nice and you can get decent land-and-home packages for between $250 000 and $300 000. She paid $300 000 for a 4 bedroomed house with a spa in the en-suite, marble kitchen tops and polished floorboards.
Old Dec 11th 2004, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

Sheety, Cranbourne North is not so bad. There's a new development called Lynbrooke where my friend lives, very nice and you can get decent land-and-home packages for between $250 000 and $300 000. She paid $300 000 for a 4 bedroomed house with a spa in the en-suite, marble kitchen tops and polished floorboards.
I suppose after living in Luton for most of my life there can't really be any bad areas to go can there! Ensuite spa would never go to work!!!!
Old Dec 11th 2004, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

I suppose after living in Luton for most of my life there can't really be any bad areas to go can there! Ensuite spa would never go to work!!!!

Must admit, she's been having a hell of a looong holiday since she bought that house
Old Dec 11th 2004, 11:02 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

I would not touch Cranbourne with the proverbial shitty stick. It is being totally manufactured and has very little sole and a lot of roofs. Berwick is about a 15 minute drive from Dandenong. Belgrave is nice also, Theres also Narre Warren which has its good and its bad parts. There's Roweville, which is a well established suburb. Just don't live in Dandenong. Also look at Lysterfield ( A bit more pricy)

HUP (Couldn't be arsed to log HEVS off and me on)
Old Dec 11th 2004, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hevs
I would not touch Cranbourne with the proverbial shitty stick. It is being totally manufactured and has very little sole and a lot of roofs. Berwick is about a 15 minute drive from Dandenong. Belgrave is nice also, Theres also Narre Warren which has its good and its bad parts. There's Roweville, which is a well established suburb. Just don't live in Dandenong. Also look at Lysterfield ( A bit more pricy)

HUP (Couldn't be arsed to log HEVS off and me on)

Hi HUP,

Everyone has to start somewhere and unless you have a bottomless bag of money somewhere you might want to look at a house you can buy at a better price and sell later so you can move along up in the market. I agree with staying away from Dandenong though :scared:
Old Dec 11th 2004, 11:45 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Hi HUP,

Everyone has to start somewhere and unless you have a bottomless bag of money somewhere you might want to look at a house you can buy at a better price and sell later so you can move along up in the market. I agree with staying away from Dandenong though :scared:
Who said anything about a bottomless pit of money. All the suburbs listed have property in the same median range (Except Lysterfield) and they have the advantage of being more established suburbs. You are more likely to get a bigger block for your money than you would in a new build in Cranbourne.

I'd also say that when your buying its a good idea to buy in an area that you want live as if you go to the trouble of getting your kids settled you don't want to add to there upheaval by moving a coupla years down the track.

Now don't get me wrong I am sure there are some nice areas in Cranbourne but the accelerated growth of new builds with tiny blocks in the area is slightly alarming.
Old Dec 11th 2004, 11:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HUP
Who said anything about a bottomless pit of money. All the suburbs listed have property in the same median range (Except Lysterfield) and they have the advantage of being more established suburbs. You are more likely to get a bigger block for your money than you would in a new build in Cranbourne.

I'd also say that when your buying its a good idea to buy in an area that you want live as if you go to the trouble of getting your kids settled you don't want to add to there upheaval by moving a coupla years down the track.

Now don't get me wrong I am sure there are some nice areas in Cranbourne but the accelerated growth of new builds with tiny blocks in the area is slightly alarming.

HUP, you are quite right about the new developments with their tiny, tiny plots, my friend out in Lynbrooke bought a plot of land, however, that is nice and big. If you look around you can still get them. Got to use a magnifying glass in some cases, but they're out there ;-)
Old Dec 12th 2004, 3:25 am
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
We find we struggle on $1000.00 per week here in Perth. That is with both of us working. We have 2 teenage boys........and a dog!!
do you have a mortgage...?
Old Dec 12th 2004, 12:18 pm
Badge

Quite honestly, 1000 a week after tax would be a great wage by any standards, anywhere in Australia , lets face it. It's not the povo line by any means.

However, it may not be enough. Life is bloody expensive, make no mistake. Most people carry some debt somewhere now. Its when a combination of commitments hit all at once...clearly renos, home making, med bills can be v exp.

I'm on 1250 a week and it all goes. Having said that, sofas, lawn mowers cost.
I'm not expecting that all the time. Kids will replace that though. You need to make as much as possible...(!)

BM

Last edited by Badge; Dec 12th 2004 at 12:25 pm.

Old Dec 12th 2004, 12:34 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Badge
Having said that, sofas, lawn mowers cost
BM
Youve got a sofa now??? I expect when the kids come along and then the grand kids you'll sit by the Coonara (Which by now you'll be able to keep alight) and talk fondly of the days of the pissy matress .
Old Dec 12th 2004, 12:50 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

... We're a family of 5 and, paying rent of $1200/month, we can still make it on $ 50 000 per month if we needed to.
$600,000 a year Yes, I reckon most of us could get by on that

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.