Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much to get started

How much to get started

Old Apr 4th 2007, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

Find the sun is just really niceFind the sun is just really niceFind the sun is just really niceFind the sun is just really niceFind the sun is just really niceFind the sun is just really niceFind the sun is just really niceFind the sun is just really niceFind the sun is just really niceFind the sun is just really nice
Default How much to get started

Hi All
This has probably been asked already so forgive me. We are planning on attempting on getting to Sydney before 1st July ruling come in. We have somewhere to stay and are taking the bare minimum with hopefully a job starting a couple of weeks after we get there.

Can anyone tell me how much money we are looking to need to have in the account to get sorted out, we're aware of the $2000+ deposit for a house and have estimates for cars. But are there any unexpected financial costs we've not budgeted for?

Thanks
Old Apr 4th 2007, 6:09 pm
ASHO

ASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really nice
Default Re: How much to get started

whats happening on the first of July?what ruling am i missing something or just a bit dim(dont answer that)
Old Apr 4th 2007, 6:12 pm
its only me..!

bayst is an unknown quantity at this point

1st of july, new ruling? please enlighten us
Old Apr 4th 2007, 6:13 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

you have to be validated, and possibly in the country before 1-july to use the old citzenship laws... otherwise its fours years.. check the thread at the top of the immigration sub-forum
Old Apr 4th 2007, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light

I think (but not 100% sure) they mean the new citizenship ruling. At the mo you have to be resident for 2 years before apllying for citizenship. After 1st July you have to be resident for 4 years - thats what I think anyway.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light

Datamile you beat me to it. Hope the plans are going well. We may have a buyer for our house, so may follow soon after you.

Tasha x
Old Apr 5th 2007, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

Find the sun is just really niceFind the sun is just really niceFind the sun is just really niceFind the sun is just really niceFind the sun is just really niceFind the sun is just really niceFind the sun is just really niceFind the sun is just really niceFind the sun is just really niceFind the sun is just really nice

Hi
Yes I meant the new citizenship ruling, we'd like to get in before that so are trying to budget but having never moved to Australia before I was hoping someone might be able to tell me if there were any unexpected costs they had to pay that we might be able to plan for!

thanks
Old Apr 5th 2007, 6:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Find the sun
Hi All
This has probably been asked already so forgive me. We are planning on attempting on getting to Sydney before 1st July ruling come in. We have somewhere to stay and are taking the bare minimum with hopefully a job starting a couple of weeks after we get there.

Can anyone tell me how much money we are looking to need to have in the account to get sorted out, we're aware of the $2000+ deposit for a house and have estimates for cars. But are there any unexpected financial costs we've not budgeted for?

Thanks
How exciting for you!

Firstly, everyone is different. Some will say that yolu have enough, others will say that you need to take more. Kids? Alone? Two of you?

If I were in your shoes, I'd take as much as I could, or at least have access to lots ie cash cards linked to UK accounts. When you move into a place, there's often connection fees or change-of-name types of fees like for the phone, elec, maybe water. I'd budget 400 bucks for that.

Will you have your own furniture? Plan to do without for a while (it can be done quite easily!)? All of these things make a difference.

Jobs wise, it's not always that easy to get the job u want that pays what u want. You may well find that u really need to start working at ANYTHING really quickly. I actually waitressed in Sydney LOADS when I was in my 20s - the rates of pay were excellent. I did it as a part time job to save for a house deposit while working a "normal" office job. I was waitressing with other people who were looking foor "proper" jobs, and they found it a little disheartening...til we had a chat and worked out that the shift we'd just done covered his months phone bill, and that 2 more shifts would cover the weeks rent etc etc...sorry....going off topic.

Good luck with everything.