Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much to furnish a house in Australia??

How much to furnish a house in Australia??

Old Feb 5th 2008, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

emmakc1977 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How much to furnish a house in Australia??

I've been watching the wanted down under series and in one episode a rental agent said that it would cost £9k to fully furnish a house. Anyone got any ideas on whether this is about right?

Ta!
Old Feb 5th 2008, 1:33 pm
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of
Default Re: How much to furnish a house in Australia??

Originally Posted by emmakc1977
I've been watching the wanted down under series and in one episode a rental agent said that it would cost £9k to fully furnish a house. Anyone got any ideas on whether this is about right?

Ta!
Without appearing pedantic it depends on how big the house is and how much your budget is.
You can spend anything from a few hundred dollars upwards to hundreds of thousands.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

yolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond repute

bit like how long is a piece of string!
try this site it will give you an idea on costs.

www.superamart.com.au
Old Feb 5th 2008, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

It's a bit of a silly question really (sorry)!!

We're not going to have masses of money when we come over. Probably a three bed house - will need everything from washing machine, to coat hangers!

The only really nice bit of furniture we have here in England is our three piece suit, one chest of drawers and two book cases. Everything else has been given to us and I wouldn't bother shipping over. Same with plates/cups - nothing matches, we were just given a few plates from each of our parents when we moved in together lol

The real estate woman on Wanted Down Under said £9k to fit out an average house with everything and I didn't think that sounded too bad. I'll have a look at the link (thanks for that). We're going to Brisbane for a reccie trip in March so I'll have a look around the department stores at beds/wardrobes and make a note of how much it all costs.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

We spent about $20k furnishing our 3 bed house out when we came (that included a big 42 inch HDTV television )

You can do it as cheaply or as expensive as you like really. Apart from the big furniture like beds, settees etc we started with cheap stuff from K-mart, BigW and Target and have gradually replaced them with better stuff over time. My kettle and toaster were $39 for example (and they still work!), a 40 piece 'homemaker' set with 4 pans, roasting tin, cake tin, kitchen utensils, 4 knives, measuring jugs etc was $89.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Wendy. I don't think we'll bother bringing much with us - give me an excuse to do some serious shopping without too much grief from hubbie
Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emmakc1977
Thanks Wendy. I don't think we'll bother bringing much with us - give me an excuse to do some serious shopping without too much grief from hubbie

My thoughts exactly - it's great isn't it
Old Feb 5th 2008, 9:20 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Have you got kids?

Lounge :
sofa , cpl of chairs $800 ( basic )
tv and dvd player $800 ( basic )
Kitchen :
plates / cuttlery / microwave / fridge $ 800 basic
Laundry :
washing baskets / trolley / clothes pegs / w/mc $800 basic
Bedroom :
Bed / linen $1000
Kids beds :
Bed / linen $ 600

Thats about as basic as your gonna get !

All Aussie homes ( with few exceptions ) have WIR
All Aussie homes ( with few exceptions ) have clothes line ( hills hoist )

If it was a investment property, then you could furnish for around $5k !

If you shop around

So dont get concerned, the most expensive items here are beds !!
They can go up to and over 20 grand !
Old Feb 5th 2008, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

We've got a four year old son - will defo have to bring over his toys... he has an extensive collection of power ranger toys
Old Feb 5th 2008, 9:44 pm
Playing the game

Pinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the rough

Hey Emma

We're just in the middle of buying stuff for a three bed (with study) in Adelaide and we're going to be looking at around $20k like Wendy said - we're up to about $14k for main bedroom, lounge and dining area which we've splashed out on a bit as they're our main rooms and will be going for cheaper deals on the spare rooms. Prices differ massively just if you shop around (by thousands) and you can get a good bargain by having cash, they also haggle alot here which I haven't got used to yet but OH loves!

There seem to be plenty of sales too, we got all our basics (pots, pans and cutlery) over the christmas sales so saved a bit there.

There is a comfort factor in having your own stuff here I imagine but you don't know how it will suit the house/lifestyle you end up with here and like you say - it's a brilliant excuse to get all new stuff