Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

how much to furnish a 2 bed house in Oz??

how much to furnish a 2 bed house in Oz??

Old Aug 2nd 2006, 9:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how much to furnish a 2 bed house in Oz??

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
WENDY!!!!!!

Good to hear from you. Hope it's everything you thought it would be.
Cheers for the costings. Did you take any UK stuff with you, and wold you reccomend I take anything specific with me - household-wise that is?!

*pearly* x

All I hoped and much more

I didn't take anything at all, and I've had so much fun shopping. Plus I get to have all new stuff

Have spent about $15k on furnishing house. You can get most things here for the same price or cheaper than the UK if you shop around. There is always an offer on somewhere.

Ikea is just the same here, not really my thing but still good if you like that sort of thing. (I find it all too square, not my taste.)

Some good shops are Harvey Normans and The Good Guys. Le Cornu is Ok, but some things take 6 weeks for delivery. Keep your wits about you and haggle them down, especially if you are paying cash.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

blackcountrygirl is a jewel in the roughblackcountrygirl is a jewel in the roughblackcountrygirl is a jewel in the roughblackcountrygirl is a jewel in the roughblackcountrygirl is a jewel in the rough

WENDY!!!!!!

Good to hear from you. Hope it's everything you thought it would be.
Cheers for the costings. Did you take any UK stuff with you, and wold you reccomend I take anything specific with me - household-wise that is?!

*pearly* x
S Australia

try looking at

www.lecornu.com.au

This might help you

try putting in a post code say 5003 or there abouts

Last edited by blackcountrygirl; Aug 2nd 2006 at 10:24 am.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

Would you say then that Ikea there is as cheap for stuff as here???

*pearly*

cost wise I'd say that it's actually cheaper than the UK, certainly for many things that we looked at.

was a huge fan of the ikea stuff back in the UK... but the lines here are slightly different and I've actually got a great set of furniture that i really like!

obviously if you're looking for total cheappy crap there's plenty of it there.... we needed a bed quick when we moved here - got a queen frame for $99! which once we've sorted out the house was easily replaced with a better quality one.

OH reckons that ikea build quality over here is better than what it was back in the UK....
Old Aug 8th 2006, 11:04 am
Just Joined

rach_and_doc is an unknown quantity at this point

we have just moved here a family of 6-2 adults and 4 children- we arrived with a suitcase each. we managed to furnish our whole house with everything we needed from t.vs to salt and pepper pots for $6000 and that was treating myself to a new pc so it can be done and we dont have money to burn.
rach and doc
Old Aug 8th 2006, 11:18 am
CazBeckham

CazBeckham is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Furnished Rental in Brissie areas

Are furnished properties easy enough to rent in Brissie area?

Caz
Old Aug 8th 2006, 11:27 am
Account Closed

Deer Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hutch
I recommend Freedom Furniture for the, ermmm, furniture Always, always, always, haggle with 'em.

We've had some very bad experiences with Freedom furniture. It's a nightmare to return anything and all the furniture that we've bought from them has been broken in some way.

Haggling is great advice. People don't realize that you can haggle ANYWHERE!! We haggled at David Jones for our 2 sofas and got thousands knocked off the price of our sofas. We also successfully haggled for all our whitegoods.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 2:15 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Caz - no.

Pearly, we furnished our second rental from scratch almost 12 months ago now, including linen, BBQ, outdoor setting, everything for the kitchen right down to wine glasses, picnic basket & potato peeler etc. We didnt buy from Ikea :scared: but did get a few things cheaply at SuperAmart & there was no change out of $20K. 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom, with rumpus, so fairly big house, bigger than what you are looking at, but if you arent bringing anything with you at all, dont be fooled that it wont cost much unless you are willing to scrimp, buy cheaper quality or go without.