Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much funds for entry on a tourist visa?

How much funds for entry on a tourist visa?

Old Dec 1st 2004, 11:46 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute
Default How much funds for entry on a tourist visa?

I'm asking because I just got one hel of a shock when I just read that I would need at least $3000 for the duration of my stay (3 months). I don't have a name or proof of address to give immigration when I arrive.

Does anyone know the likelihood of me being refused entry?
Old Dec 1st 2004, 11:55 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How much funds for entry on a tourist visa?

Originally Posted by tonyk38
I'm asking because I just got one hel of a shock when I just read that I would need at least $3000 for the duration of my stay (3 months). I don't have a name or proof of address to give immigration when I arrive.

Does anyone know the likelihood of me being refused entry?
You have proof of address for one week.
I will try my best to book a house to rent before I leave the UK.
At what stage do immigration make the decision re: letting you into the country?
Old Dec 1st 2004, 11:58 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
At what stage do immigration make the decision re: letting you into the country?
At the airport on arrival, or in 'immigration clearance' to use technical jargon.

Jeremy
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 12:06 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JAJ
At the airport on arrival, or in 'immigration clearance' to use technical jargon.

Jeremy
So, if Tony can prove he has somewhere to stay (with me) for the duration of his 3 month stay, will he still need to have funds secured on arrival in Australia?

Does the weeks' apartment rental that I have already booked through Quest account for anything??
Thankyou, Cas
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 12:06 am
scoobydoo

You have proof of address for one week.
I will try my best to book a house to rent before I leave the UK.

I saw a TV documentary about immigration a while ago and they made the decisions at the Australian airports as you go through immigration.

Is there anyone who can lend you some money? Have a credit card on you so they know that you can support yourself.

If you can't book any accomodation get a list of Motels etc so that they can see you have looked into accomodation. Have your plan of what you are going to see and places you want to go then they will know you are a genuine tourist.

Old Dec 2nd 2004, 12:08 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ

Jeremy
Thanks Jeremy. Do you think $3000 would be more or less sufficient for three months if I can't provide an address for the duration of my visit? I will be living with Cas for the duration of my stay but can't really prove it as she will not be resident in Aus when I arrive.
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 12:14 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Jeremy. Do you think $3000 would be more or less sufficient for three months if I can't provide an address for the duration of my visit? I will be living with Cas for the duration of my stay but can't really prove it as she will not be resident in Aus when I arrive.
You have a residential address at which to stay, which is a good start - I entered 6 times on ETA visas, each time with a residential address, and the most I got asked was "Is this a friend of yours?". On a couple of occasions I was planning to travel around, but just said I would be at that address the whole time.
I was never asked for proof of funds (all I had was about $500 and a couple of credit cards on each occasion). Also helps if you have a return ticket, as they can see then that if you run out of cash you have the means to get home!
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 12:17 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You have a residential address at which to stay, which is a good start - I entered 6 times on ETA visas, each time with a residential address, and the most I got asked was "Is this a friend of yours?". On a couple of occasions I was planning to travel around, but just said I would be at that address the whole time.
I was never asked for proof of funds (all I had was about $500 and a couple of credit cards on each occasion). Also helps if you have a return ticket, as they can see then that if you run out of cash you have the means to get home!
Thanks, will the weeks apartment rental be enough - or do I have to book a house/apartment from the UK before I go - I was going to try to do that anyway.
One problem is that I arrive in Melbourne (on a 457 visa) on the 12th of Jan, and Tony arrives on the 11th.
Cas
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 12:24 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Thanks Polly. I don't have an address to stay at in Aus and this is the problem. The apartment we are renting is only for a week, and Cas won't be in the country.

I have a return ticket, but I'm looking to stay three months.

When they asked you "Is this a friend of yours?", what was the answer you gave?

We want to do everything open and above board, but this is the only way we can live together to see if we want to commit.
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 12:36 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Thanks Polly. I don't have an address to stay at in Aus and this is the problem. The apartment we are renting is only for a week, and Cas won't be in the country.

I have a return ticket, but I'm looking to stay three months.

When they asked you "Is this a friend of yours?", what was the answer you gave?

We want to do everything open and above board, but this is the only way we can live together to see if we want to commit.

I've entered Australia four times now I think, never been asked for proof of funds. The first time I arrived on an ETA, I spent a week in sydney before coming up here for a fortnight. I gave them my Sydney hotel address and they were fine with that.
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 12:41 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mlbonner
I've entered Australia four times now I think, never been asked for proof of funds. The first time I arrived on an ETA, I spent a week in sydney before coming up here for a fortnight. I gave them my Sydney hotel address and they were fine with that.
Thanks Michelle. I'll give them the Cresta Apartments address and cross my fingers.

I always get extremely nervous going through customs because of the way I look (long hair and beard).
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 12:59 am
Account Closed

Thanks, will the weeks apartment rental be enough - or do I have to book a house/apartment from the UK before I go - I was going to try to do that anyway.
One problem is that I arrive in Melbourne (on a 457 visa) on the 12th of Jan, and Tony arrives on the 11th.
Cas
Can anyone answer above question please??
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 1:02 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Thanks Michelle. I'll give them the Cresta Apartments address and cross my fingers.

I always get extremely nervous going through customs because of the way I look (long hair and beard).
When I came back in from NZ last month (on temp spouse visa, in British passport, having been to NZ for work ) they gave me the third degree. Nothing I told them was a lie though & so longs thats the case you'll be fine... this is all on the assumption that they even question you for more than a second anyway!
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 1:17 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mlbonner
When I came back in from NZ last month (on temp spouse visa, in British passport, having been to NZ for work ) they gave me the third degree. Nothing I told them was a lie though & so longs thats the case you'll be fine... this is all on the assumption that they even question you for more than a second anyway!
Thanks Michelle. Why did they give you the third degree? Do you think they were looking for something?
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 1:22 am
part-time Visa Angel!

Thanks Michelle. Why did they give you the third degree? Do you think they were looking for something?

I don't know particularly. Don't whether all non-Australian passport holders were getting it or if just because it was 8am and they had more staff than planes coming in they were just killing time Certainly I dont think I look suspicious, but then again, who's to say who does and doesnt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.