Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How Much Extra to Fly Business Class?

View Poll Results: Whats the maximum extra you would pay to fly Business?
Extra $1500 [$4500 total cost]
32.73%
Extra $3000 [$6000 total cost]
14.55%
Extra $6000 [$9000 total cost]
5.45%
I'd never pay extra to fly Business, dont be a flash git & fly economy
47.27%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

How Much Extra to Fly Business Class?

Old Jul 26th 2007, 9:07 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute
Default How Much Extra to Fly Business Class?

Hi Guys

Help me out here, I have to fly from Sydney to London to visit relatives, Obviously have choice of flights / airlines but am toying with the idea of flying business as I dont fancy being squeezed into a 32 inch seat pitch for 24+ hours.

So, have you ever paid to fly business and whats the maximum you think its worth paying for the extra space assuming I could get an economy class flight for say $3,000

Cheers

x_x

Last edited by ex_exile; Jul 26th 2007 at 9:11 am.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 10:21 am
Down Under

nicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud of
Default Re: How Much Extra to Fly Business Class?

We paid for one-way business class when emigrating. Scary because it was 3 times the price of economy and we didn't have jobs lined up in Melbourne, but it was our treat to start off our new life down under.

I can't recommend it enough. We arrived feeling great, it was like a holiday -- fine food, wine and entertainment. I even managed 10 hours sleep on the near-flat seat/bed, which really helped with jet lag.

But once you've done it, economy is ruined forever and you'll never want to travel any other way.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 12:31 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I fly business and first on business trips a lot and upgrade using frequent flyers on personal trips. The price you pay varies greatly with each carrier. All business and first class products are NOT created equal.

For example, Emirates business class is crap on 99% of its fleet which is why is a darn sight cheaper than say Singapore who have an awesome business product. However, Virgin Atlantic have probably the best business class product out there and you'll pay more than Emirates first class, but then again its a lot better product.

To my mind the best value for money in a business cabin at the moment is Malaysian. Angled flat bed seats on the SYD to LHR sectors and cheaper by a lot compared to Cathay or Singapore.

But as above - once you fly business or first you can never stomach economy again long haul
Old Jul 26th 2007, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

JulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of light

We've flown to Australia in economy, premium economy and business class and, as both previous posters said, once you've flown business class you can't really go back to economy!

We've flown with BA (all 3 classes), Qantas (business class) and Virgin Atlantic (business class). Of these I would say that Virgin Atlantic's business class is by far the superior. We flew earlier this year with them and paid about £3k each but it was definitely worth it and we plan to do the same again next year.

The lounges were really good (free eyebrow pluck at Heathrow!) and the ability to have a shower part way through the journey (Hong Kong) was much appreciated. The service on board was very good (even made me a bacon sandwich at 3.00am) and we were both able to get some proper sleep. I know it's a lot of money but if you can afford it you should definitely do it (work out the cost per mile and it will make you think it's quite reasonable! )

Jules
Old Jul 26th 2007, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

on a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud of

Ye "ol business class" debate.

Go with what you can afford and want to do.

At the end of the day long haul flights arent pretty , and you still smell the same at the end, and can still walk around like you own the airline when you walk through arrivals with a boner.... to your chauffeur.....

I'd rather be put out for 24hours and stuck in the baggage hold and then brought back again at the other end.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

maisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to behold

On the subject of business class are children allowed on business class or is this frowned upon. We were thinking of doing the one way on business class when we go as a treat. Although I think the prices are extortionate.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

on a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud of

ofcourse they are allowed.

I took my kids once, they screamed for hours, so much fun wacthing the regular traveller get upset over it.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 2:38 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex_exile
Hi Guys

Help me out here, I have to fly from Sydney to London to visit relatives, Obviously have choice of flights / airlines but am toying with the idea of flying business as I dont fancy being squeezed into a 32 inch seat pitch for 24+ hours.

So, have you ever paid to fly business and whats the maximum you think its worth paying for the extra space assuming I could get an economy class flight for say $3,000

Cheers

x_x
I got a free upgrade to Business on JAL last year for compassionate reasons, Tokyo to Brisbane. Truly amazing, I loved it. I've done Business domestic/shorthaul many times in Europe, but not longhaul till then.
Its a great experience, but i wouldn't pay the extra just for me. I would if I flew with The Bloke, as he's a big guy and economy is just uncomfortable, but I think you have to be in the right income bracket to justify it as a regular thing.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 5:38 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally I think it's a waste of bloody money! All that extra cash (and lots of it) just for a comfier seat and for the trolley dolly to smile (falsely incidentally)a bit sweeter??

Even if I had the money I wouldn't do it!

It's a few hours of your life for gawds sake, how the heck can anyone justify that amount of cash when there are people in this world wondering where their next meal is coming from?

Greed I tell you, greed!
Old Jul 26th 2007, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
Personally I think it's a waste of bloody money! All that extra cash (and lots of it) just for a comfier seat and for the trolley dolly to smile (falsely incidentally)a bit sweeter??

Even if I had the money I wouldn't do it!

It's a few hours of your life for gawds sake, how the heck can anyone justify that amount of cash when there are people in this world wondering where their next meal is coming from?

Greed I tell you, greed!
be careful you will have the "up ur ass" frequent flyers on yer case....
Old Jul 27th 2007, 4:57 am

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by on a mission
be careful you will have the "up ur ass" frequent flyers on yer case....
Face?

Bovvered?

Am I bovvered?

Do I look bovvered?

Old Jul 27th 2007, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Face?

Bovvered?

Am I bovvered?

Do I look bovvered?

Old Jul 27th 2007, 5:51 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Face?

Bovvered?

Am I bovvered?

Do I look bovvered?

The type of mature reply I expect from you Buffs!
Old Jul 27th 2007, 5:56 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex_exile
Hi Guys

Cheers

x_x
We flew business class when we originally emigrated and to be quite honest the 4,600 quid that we paid could be put to much better use right now.

Unless you are seriously loaded, I would say don't bother and especially if you think that are going to a professional position that pays less money than you are used to.

It was a nice experience but the money is now sorely missed.

Last edited by DunRoaminTheUK; Jul 27th 2007 at 6:03 am.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 6:12 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

have been upgraded before now and been treated for honeymoon and it is difficult to turn right onto the plane once you have experienced batter. We did debate it when we were making the big move, but did'nt in the end. Instead we stayed in a posh 5star place for a few nights with harbour & SOH views.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.