Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

how much is that doggy in the window?

how much is that doggy in the window?

Old Jul 30th 2003, 4:28 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default how much is that doggy in the window?

After reading a thread about cruelty to animals I wondered what peoples views were on the puppies and kittens for sale in the pet shop windows over here? (Perth anyway)

I dont like to see this myself, and maybe thats why the RSPCA have so many unwanted pets over here?
Old Jul 30th 2003, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

hell no my kids will want another puppy every time we go to the mall.
Old Jul 30th 2003, 4:31 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by lynnj
hell no my kids will want another puppy every time we go to the mall.
This is exactly my point!
Old Jul 30th 2003, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

actually i remember when we were over last year seeing a pet shop with basically windows full of pups and the kids desperate to see them, i had to sent dad in with them as i found it very upsetting, go on slag me off i'm just a soppy old scot.

lynn
Old Jul 30th 2003, 5:23 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how much is that doggy in the window?

Originally posted by janeyray
After reading a thread about cruelty to animals I wondered what peoples views were on the puppies and kittens for sale in the pet shop windows over here? (Perth anyway)

I dont like to see this myself, and maybe thats why the RSPCA have so many unwanted pets over here?
Here in Sydney too! I find it awful, Pressure Buy now regret later!
Old Jul 30th 2003, 6:10 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

I remember seeing this here when I was a kid, so Oz is certainly behing the times in this respect. This has to be wrong surely.

Having said that me and the missess (shes an animal lover) looked at some nice little puppies in a warehouse type place in Brissy. The were in open top cages and seemed quite happy, so is that acceptable? I don't know.
Old Jul 30th 2003, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by chippy
I remember seeing this here when I was a kid, so Oz is certainly behing the times in this respect. This has to be wrong surely.
Yeah, I remember this, my first own pup was bought from a shop.....Harrods!! Makes me laugh now, he was only a Jack Russel.. My aunt bought him for me, I guess she thought he'd be a bit more refined....nasty little bugger though!

Gra..
Old Jul 30th 2003, 6:26 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by chippy
Beats the doggy market in Indonesia/ Philippines/ Korea. Didn't want to upset the squeamish with worse pictures but anyone against the dogmeat trade might want to check out http://www.all-creatures.org/anex/dog.html

Caption: 'These large yellow dogs are considered the best for eating. Is this any different from talking about enjoying a thick juicy steak? There really isn't any difference. All flesh comes to a person's plate with pain, suffering, and death.'
Attached Thumbnails how much is that doggy in the window?-dog-meat-15_small.jpg  
Old Jul 30th 2003, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Ex-Bournemouth now Sunny Florida, heading for Perth
WannabeWallaby is an unknown quantity at this point

They have the same shops in Florida too. Windows full of lovely puppies and kittens......ahhhh! Its does make me sad though cos I know the poor little things are probably disease ridden and inbred, I would NEVER buy an pet from such a place and perpetuate the trade. All of my pets have been strays or rescued from the pound, there are too many unwanted animals in this world to have to breed them for sale.

On the other hand, they are soooooo cute!!!

Wannabe Wallaby
Old Jul 30th 2003, 7:56 pm
suz
Forum Regular

suz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Janeyray,

Thats a bit of a blow, I foster dogs prior to rehoming, mainly retired greyhounds, here in the uk. it sounds to me that the situation in Oz is no different, maybe worse, what do you think? Am bringing my two with us, so better not let the kids near the pet shops!!!!!!!!!! had hoped for a better attitude on that front, better get a property with a big bit of land seems like I will have my hands full!!
Perth 10th November
Suz
Old Jul 31st 2003, 12:20 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

A subject close to my heart

No I totally disagree with pet shop sales of kittens and puppies. I've seen them here in the windows even at Christmas when impulse buying is at it's worst.
I do not understand people who buy from such places - if you want a dog on a cat, go to the pound - even if you want a pure bred type, you'd be surprised how many pure breeds are at the pound. If you walk around the pound and see all the unwanted animals you will leave with tears in your eyes (well if you have any soul that is)

Here in Aus the prime time for dumping pets is at Christmas - this is when most Aussies go on holidays, it's the equivalent of your August in Britain - holiday time.

If it was up to me all sales of animals the animal would be neutered before the sale took place, and I would definitely ban sales of cats and dogs in pet shops. There are too many people here who dump animals. Without sounding like an advert "a pet is for life" . Some people do not realise how expensive it can be to own an animal, when they have illnesses etc. A cat can live into it's 20's a dog little under 20 years in best cases - now that is a long time.
Another pet hate of mine (pet - get it lol) - are dog breeders . The cruelty which goes on in some of these places is unbelievable - they will put down a perfectly good animal if it doesn't meet their criteria.

Ahh but what can you do - it will carry on like this if Governments do not change laws. I wouldn't hold your breath, it's not a vote puller for the politicians like the illegal immigrant issues etc.

Cheers
Old Jul 31st 2003, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Yeah we saw some at the weekend & they did look helpless and cute, I was almost tempted. It's not right. No NO NoNo NO...

Is it okay to but a hermit crab?

Old Jul 31st 2003, 2:53 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

I know what I thought. Hes black and white, chews shoes, thinks he owns the truck, barks at the neighbours china swans (think hes eyes are a bit dodgy). Still he can smell a snake from 30 metres and lets you know it. He got a good home but I wonder how many dont? they def get bought on impulse.
Old Jul 31st 2003, 3:12 am
home again, home again

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Beats the doggy market in Indonesia/ Philippines/ Korea.

Yeh, but on the news about two weeks ago it said a lot of those dogs are bred for their fur and then the fur is used on clothing accesories right here in OZ!!! On coat collars etc..

I was shopping in a gift shop and noticed a small toy cat in a basket, identical to one on the news, and the cat is covered in REAL cat fur!!! To me this is as bad as wearing a fur coat?!!

I also told the lady in the pet shop that it was illegal to sell dogs in a shop window in the UK, she looked at me and said "why"? I told her that by putting them in the window it causes inpulse buying and more unwanted pets, she just said "oh"! ??? Probably thought "not another whinning Brit!"

Glad to hear that so many of you agree about the pet shops though, I'am not alone then!!?
Old Jul 31st 2003, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by janeyray
Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Beats the doggy market in Indonesia/ Philippines/ Korea.

Yeh, but on the news about two weeks ago it said a lot of those dogs are bred for their fur and then the fur is used on clothing accesories right here in OZ!!! On coat collars etc..

I was shopping in a gift shop and noticed a small toy cat in a basket, identical to one on the news, and the cat is covered in REAL cat fur!!! To me this is as bad as wearing a fur coat?!!

I also told the lady in the pet shop that it was illegal to sell dogs in a shop window in the UK, she looked at me and said "why"? I told her that by putting them in the window it causes inpulse buying and more unwanted pets, she just said "oh"! ??? Probably thought "not another whinning Brit!"

Glad to hear that so many of you agree about the pet shops though, I'am not alone then!!?

She may have thought that, but don't let it put you off. This is not whining - you are trying to open someone's eyes.

I tell the Ozzies every day what I think about different aspects of my adopted land. At first they dislike you for it, it is true, but keep on with it and, in time, once they see that you are just trying to make observations and contrast the two countries, do you know what? They can't stand you for it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.