Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much do you spend?

How much do you spend?

Old Oct 20th 2005, 3:14 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute
Question How much do you spend?

Hiya all,

I kept all my food shopping receipts for 1 month, just got round to finally calculating how much $ i had spent on food for the month of August & gave myself quite a fright on my total $1626.

This is for a family of 5-2adults 13,7 & 4year old kids.oh & a dog!

This total includes the dogs food for a month,1x15k soap powder,5litre fab conditioner + about $100 on things like toothpaste,shampoo,toilet roll,deodorant etc...

We dont eat allot of junk,sweets for the kids are kept to a minimum,i have a homemade cooked meal on the table 5 nights out of 7 at least,weekends we tend to shove a pizza in the oven or hot dogs,burgers etc..
I would loved to have kept a monthly total of how much i spent on a months food shopping back home to compare them.
We all have good healthy appetites,even the kids but I'm sure i could cut back on just how much i am spending? or is this total about normal for a family of 5? what do you lot spend or what do you think you spend ??

Donna.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 3:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much do you spend?

Did the grocerys this morning, $237 for 4 of us, will be back during the week for heaps more milk, bread and salad stuff, which I prefer fresh, might spend another $50. That included one $9 bag of dog food and cleaning odds and ends. Home cooking from scratch 5 nights, on weekends we spend about $40 on take out, the other night is usually a barbie somewhere with meat from grocerys.

What really Pips me off, is the constant and never ending price rises, watch your regular items, we have for about 6 months now and some things are going up every 3-5 weeks.

4 years ago we spend around the $150 for 5 of us (ones in bris now).
Old Oct 20th 2005, 3:36 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

I've noticed a rise in costs for food just lately.

We spend between $250 - $300 per week on food for 3 adults [me,hubby and 17 YO son].

On the TV over the past few weeks there's been an indication of price rises as the big shopping cartels [Coles/Woollies] have been saying the rise in oil prices are sending the prices up

I wouldn't have thought a captured market with no real opposition was why they are taking advantage

Back to jam and bread...or drippin wi salt
Old Oct 20th 2005, 3:37 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

I don't spend nearly as much as that for our family of 5 plus dog and cat. I try to stick to $250 a week. Mind you I am not a drinker so no booze in this. Try looking in your freezer I bet you could live for 2 months on what you've got stashed away. I used to use 2 freezers in UK 1 upright and 1 chest as I used to shop monthly for freezer stuff at Iceland, lots of offers not to be missed. Now I only use my upright and stash mainly milk and bread, frozen chips and meat. Not so much convienence foods available.

Jo
Old Oct 20th 2005, 3:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Ours is about $200'ish for 2 Adults 2 kids, I'm the same will also pop back in the week.

Sue ....you've put me off getting a dog now :scared:
Old Oct 20th 2005, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

galloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nice

Originally Posted by jad n rich
What really Pips me off, is the constant and never ending price rises, watch your regular items, we have for about 6 months now and some things are going up every 3-5 weeks.

Is this on fruit/veg ? - It may be that if the produce is seasonal the laws of economics will be more noticeable, whereas in the UK most of the fruit 'n veg comes from all over the place.

If noticed it living away from the UK, that at some times of the year some produce isn't even available, whilst in the UK you could buy it all year round.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 3:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ****** eejit
Is this on fruit/veg ? - It may be that if the produce is seasonal the laws of economics will be more noticeable, whereas in the UK most of the fruit 'n veg comes from all over the place.

If noticed it living away from the UK, that at some times of the year some produce isn't even available, whilst in the UK you could buy it all year round.
No its the total lack of players in the food market, basically 2 own god knows say 95% of the food market under different names, they are now taking over servos, already own 40% of that market in a year :scared:

I'd say food has doubled in 4 years well mine has it was 5 people on $150, now its 4 people (one drops in tho one night a week) and its heading for the $300.

Lack of competition in things here is truly shocking :scared:

As for seasonal I only buy the in season stuff anyway, all meat etc is the special price stuff, or bulk, food is just bloomin expensive here.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

bring on Asda or Tesco
Old Oct 20th 2005, 4:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Some items we rejected buying this morning.

I mango $2.95
Brussel sprouts $12.95 kilo
Parsnips $9.95 kilo
Grapes $11.95 kilo
Partners fave brand of meusli bars 180g $3.95
Salmon portions $27.95 kilo on special that one too!!
Lean minced beef $12.99 kilo
Red capsicum $6.95 kilo
Sharp matured cheese $22.95 kilo
2X200 g yogurts $2.49
Wholegrain bread $3.75

Bargains

Supersonic sized glowing chicken breasts $8.95 kilo
Dozen eggs $1.40 noticed when I got back were a bit close to date tho
Tomatos $1.99 kilo
Bacon half normal price $6.99 kilo
Cheapest milk $2.99 for 3 litres
Cheap white bread $1.69
Old Oct 20th 2005, 4:10 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joho
I don't spend nearly as much as that for our family of 5 plus dog and cat. I try to stick to $250 a week. Mind you I am not a drinker so no booze in this. Try looking in your freezer I bet you could live for 2 months on what you've got stashed away. I used to use 2 freezers in UK 1 upright and 1 chest as I used to shop monthly for freezer stuff at Iceland, lots of offers not to be missed. Now I only use my upright and stash mainly milk and bread, frozen chips and meat. Not so much convienence foods available.

Jo

There aint any booze in my total either,thats extra !!
I was the same back in the UK,chest freezer plus fridge freezer,done the freezer shop at Farmfoods every month,froze the butcher meat for the month too but its a different story here,hubby is paid fortnightly & i try to plan dinners week to week,buy in what i need for the week etc..thats probably why I'm spending more? or feels like I'm spending more!

I have noticed the price rises in certain products eg. own brand bread in Coles can be 89c one day & jump to $1.18 next.
Go to a night owl or petrol station & you can expect to pay $1/2+ more for the item your needing, its ridiculous

Donna.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by joho
bring on Asda or Tesco

I'll second that 5/10p rise in food costs,i can manage that !!

Donna.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 4:27 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly a week ago we spent $170 which has lasted us the whole week (with a cheap fish and chip supper the other day adding $18 and a BBQ at the weekend adding $14)

This is good food - fresh ingredients, lots of fish but only two adults with two young kids. We don't buy really expensive things and this doesn't include ale.

In the UK for the equivalent (about 80GBP), we would get everything we needed including alcohol and lots of treats.

Australian supermarkets are expensive and are poorer in choice generally (although fruit and veg are definitely better quality).

Forget the changes to the citizenship rules, lobby your MP to break up the supermarket cartel and allow Tescos in.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 4:35 am
Sand, sea and serenity

Milo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by madsad
Hiya all,

I kept all my food shopping receipts for 1 month, just got round to finally calculating how much $ i had spent on food for the month of August & gave myself quite a fright on my total $1626.

This is for a family of 5-2adults 13,7 & 4year old kids.oh & a dog!

This total includes the dogs food for a month,1x15k soap powder,5litre fab conditioner + about $100 on things like toothpaste,shampoo,toilet roll,deodorant etc...

We dont eat allot of junk,sweets for the kids are kept to a minimum,i have a homemade cooked meal on the table 5 nights out of 7 at least,weekends we tend to shove a pizza in the oven or hot dogs,burgers etc..
I would loved to have kept a monthly total of how much i spent on a months food shopping back home to compare them.
We all have good healthy appetites,even the kids but I'm sure i could cut back on just how much i am spending? or is this total about normal for a family of 5? what do you lot spend or what do you think you spend ??

Donna.
Yeh! used to spend over $300 for family of 5 (17,15 and 10 year olds, no pets) at coles, but recently decided to cut down on shopping and look around, ever watched those in coles shopping, most have only a few items, wheras our trolley was full to overflowing!

We now buy our veggies elswhere and fill up the freezer, average spend now $197 at coles, getting our bread and milk through the week as we need them.
Tried shopping at Aldi cos a survey on the telly recently said it was cheaper than coles and Woolies but don't like the produce, just not the same.

Bring on Morrisons and Tesco buy one get one free. No competition here to have that I supose.

Happy shopping

Marie
Old Oct 20th 2005, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Some items we rejected buying this morning.

Salmon portions $27.95 kilo on special that one too!!
Lean minced beef $12.99 kilo
I know! What's going on here? Salmon - how much was that in the UK? I seem to remember it being cheap as anything.

And mince? How can it be more expensive than rump steak? It's actually cheaper to buy rump steak and mince it yourself!!

I'm not moaning - honestly. I'm just joining in a debate on the cultural differences between countries.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
I know! What's going on here? Salmon - how much was that in the UK? I seem to remember it being cheap as anything.

And mince? How can it be more expensive than rump steak? It's actually cheaper to buy rump steak and mince it yourself!!

I'm not moaning - honestly. I'm just joining in a debate on the cultural differences between countries.

Salmon,i love but im stunned by the price of it here very rarely buy it now,rump steak lol! very true!

Donna.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.