Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How Much Do You Need ?

How Much Do You Need ?

Old Mar 5th 2007, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

StopDreamingStartDoing is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How Much Do You Need ?

Hello all, since telling the majority of our family about our decision to start a new life all we seem to get are negatives like 'oh you need loads of money to take with you ...' and 'your house isn't worth enough for you to qualify...'. These comments although annoying from people we thought would be more supportive are starting to give me a headache but got me wandering, do you need a certain amount of cash or could you go over on a shoe string. We're hoping to take atleast £50k from the sale of our house but would like to throw something back at these Know it all Know Nothings..... Were going out hopefuly with a Skilled Independent 136.

Cheers Richard and Tammy
Old Mar 5th 2007, 1:34 pm
Bloomin' well done it!!!!

ladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How Much Do You Need ?

Originally Posted by StopDreamingStartDoing
Hello all, since telling the majority of our family about our decision to start a new life all we seem to get are negatives like 'oh you need loads of money to take with you ...' and 'your house isn't worth enough for you to qualify...'. These comments although annoying from people we thought would be more supportive are starting to give me a headache but got me wandering, do you need a certain amount of cash or could you go over on a shoe string. We're hoping to take atleast £50k from the sale of our house but would like to throw something back at these Know it all Know Nothings..... Were going out hopefuly with a Skilled Independent 136.

Cheers Richard and Tammy
Hi, As a skilled independent you don't need a bean!! There is no pre-requisite on how much money you have. They don't even have a question on the visa aplication about debt.

For other visa's I beleive you have to prove your ability to support yourself - -but with the 136 they already know you have the skills to do just that.

xRachx
Old Mar 5th 2007, 1:43 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Richard and Tammy
You need whatever you have. If you have 50k, then you need 50k. If you have 5k......
If you really want to make it here, then you will make it happen.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

jayne311 is a name known to alljayne311 is a name known to alljayne311 is a name known to alljayne311 is a name known to alljayne311 is a name known to alljayne311 is a name known to alljayne311 is a name known to alljayne311 is a name known to alljayne311 is a name known to alljayne311 is a name known to alljayne311 is a name known to all

Cheers Richard and Tammy
sounds just like our friends, have you started the visa process yet?
i just ask because you sound like you are in the same boat as us (me hubby + 3 kids) we will have the same ammount of cash from the house sale and hopefully some savings. we have been browsing this site for the past year now and trying to work out where to live (brisbane, but where about i dont know yet) now i am trying to figure out how to go about transfering the money and if we we to transfer that ammount how much we would actually have in the bank when we got there after taxes etc.
it's so mind boggling
good luck.
jayne.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 2:04 pm
Bloomin' well done it!!!!

ladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayne311
sounds just like our friends, have you started the visa process yet?
i just ask because you sound like you are in the same boat as us (me hubby + 3 kids) we will have the same ammount of cash from the house sale and hopefully some savings. we have been browsing this site for the past year now and trying to work out where to live (brisbane, but where about i dont know yet) now i am trying to figure out how to go about transfering the money and if we we to transfer that ammount how much we would actually have in the bank when we got there after taxes etc.
it's so mind boggling
good luck.
jayne.
Hi, you don't pay tax on your money as long as it gets here within 6 months of your arriving.

xRachx
Old Mar 5th 2007, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

jayne311 is a name known to alljayne311 is a name known to alljayne311 is a name known to alljayne311 is a name known to alljayne311 is a name known to alljayne311 is a name known to alljayne311 is a name known to alljayne311 is a name known to alljayne311 is a name known to alljayne311 is a name known to alljayne311 is a name known to all

thanks for that. thats good to know.
jayne.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

framac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Richard and Tammy
We had a similar amount and its not a bad start. It gave us a 20% deposit on house which is a good bargaining tool. It also buys you time to get on your feet, so to the doubters guys
Old Mar 5th 2007, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by framac
We had a similar amount and its not a bad start. It gave us a 20% deposit on house which is a good bargaining tool. It also buys you time to get on your feet, so to the doubters guys
We have had a lot of similar types of comments. Like you we are hoping to go out a on 136 independent and you don't actually need any money. Of course it helps and we are hoping to have about £100k to take with us but if we didn't have anything we'd probably still be going. There are people on here that have gone over with hardly anything and others that have gone with loads of money.

My in laws are being a bit of a nightmare and keep telling us we won't be able to afford to move. They don't even know much about it but are just trying very hard to convince us to stay.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 3:45 pm
Account Closed

louise is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers Richard and Tammy
Hi Richard and Tammy

It sounds to me like your "family & friends" are trying anything they can to sew the seed of doubt in your mind and hopefully put you off the whole idea. Stick to your plans and as has already been said people go over with lots more money and a hell of a lot less, it's up to the individual family, and if you want it badly enough I'm sure you'll make it work.

We haven't gone yet but will budget accordingly when we do.

Cheers

Louise
Old Mar 5th 2007, 3:46 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers Richard and Tammy
We're going with the shirts on our backs.....no jobs, no where to live......and about £5K in savings!
Old Mar 5th 2007, 3:57 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
We're going with the shirts on our backs.....no jobs, no where to live......and about £5K in savings!
And I'll bet you guys have a ball
Old Mar 5th 2007, 4:04 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by herrchook
And I'll bet you guys have a ball
Bloody well hope so!

It's all a big adventure - we are determined to make it work though! Nowt wrong with a bit of hard graft for a few years to get settled and established!
Old Mar 5th 2007, 4:04 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

We don't have a great deal to take with us and by the time we've paid for flights, husbands training, dog, shipping etc we'll have even less.
Some people have gone with nothing and others with hundres of thousands.
Just do it!
Old Mar 5th 2007, 4:23 pm
Loving it in SA

Katsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
Bloody well hope so!

It's all a big adventure - we are determined to make it work though! Nowt wrong with a bit of hard graft for a few years to get settled and established!

just the view that we are taking over there once we leave......we know its going to be a bit hard to start with and we know there will be days when we wnoder whats going on......but the days of chilling on the beach, having barbies sitting outside drnking vino til late will certainly outwiegh the negatives.

We wnt be taking a fortune with us but we ill be armedwith a 136 and be willing to work hard at it to succeed.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 6:01 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladywithatorch
Hi, you don't pay tax on your money as long as it gets here within 6 months of your arriving.

xRachx
Thats not true. You wont pay tax on any of your funds brought from the UK regardless of the time. Its perhaps the most famous BE urban myth. There is no 6 month rule.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.