Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

how much did you take or are taking?

how much did you take or are taking?

Old Aug 9th 2005, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all
Default Re: how much did you take or are taking?

when we arrived in the UK 8 years ago from south africa, we only had £2800 to our name and we managed. We rented, bought a clapped out old jalopy with no heating and had food on the table. Slowly, we managed to build ourselves up and we are now going to Australia with substantially more money in our pockets as we were lucky with the housing boom thing in late 90's, but we are still going to have quite a large mortgage when we buy over there.

I don't think it really matters how much you have, you just cut your cloth accordingly and build yourself up as much as you can. You will manage, I promise you.

Good luck with it all.

Sarah
Old Aug 9th 2005, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Have always wondered myself about those who are fortunate enough to come over with 100,000's of thousands of pounds, buy brand new 'status' vehicles, huge houses etc, makes me wonder what they are leaving the Uk for - when you have so much money and are that fortunate, I don't think the same issues really apply, as they do to the 'average joe'. Ok, they could be going to have more free time to spend with their families and I wouldn't knock anyone for that but I can't help thinking that for those who 'status' symbols are so important in their lives, they won't generally find the same kind of satisfaction and 'pat on the back' for it here, as they would in the UK.

We have a huge mortgage (for us) but live well within our means. Nothing on credit (bar the mortgage). No aspirations to have the bigger and better things.
Old Aug 9th 2005, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lawlaw
Hello All

Just a quick one, those of you without lots of property equity, how much money did you take over to start your new life in Aus? just roughly?

Wondering as supposed to be saving but doing really badly and want to bring cats but will eat into savings

Thanks

Laura
stop worrying, you will be fine, just be careful when you get here, you are so young and have lots of time to build a great life here.
ok we brought a good amount of money with us, but we are in our 40s so we dont have as much time as you.
Our friends came here 15 years ago, had a couple of thousand, she worked but he struggled to get a job, after 2 years they where desperate and down to their last 20 dollars, then he got a job offer, guess what , they have a beautiful 5 bed house with pool in a place near Perth overlooking the indian ocean, you work hard and you will do really well, i wish we had come here 20 years ago. Denise Bunbury WA
Old Aug 9th 2005, 11:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of

Thanks to all for your informative, honest and friendly posts. Its been really reassuring
Old Aug 10th 2005, 4:00 am
Forum Regular

JG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really nice

Hi! We had all the good intentions of saving! No house to sell and unfortunately we like a social life, decided to get married last year, so didn't save as much as hoped but nevermind. Hubbie and I are happy, looking forward to the move, feeling positive as we travelled round Oz for a year on £3000. It lasted (yes we did work for a few months) but did loads of stuff. I know it will be different this time round but it is what you make it isn't it?
Originally Posted by lawlaw
Hello All

Just a quick one, those of you without lots of property equity, how much money did you take over to start your new life in Aus? just roughly?

Wondering as supposed to be saving but doing really badly and want to bring cats but will eat into savings

Thanks

Laura
Old Aug 11th 2005, 5:05 am
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JG04
Hi! We had all the good intentions of saving! No house to sell and unfortunately we like a social life, decided to get married last year, so didn't save as much as hoped but nevermind. Hubbie and I are happy, looking forward to the move, feeling positive as we travelled round Oz for a year on £3000. It lasted (yes we did work for a few months) but did loads of stuff. I know it will be different this time round but it is what you make it isn't it?
Sorry missed your post yesterday. Thats our problem too, really hate saving. Good luck and have fun
Old Aug 11th 2005, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

jarv is on a distinguished road

will have saved £15k this year plus proceeds from house sale (£70k profit) debt free and looking forward to it !!!!!
Old Aug 11th 2005, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Rochdale, then Toronto, then Preston now Tampa, Florida.
wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BLC

I was always taught to talk about money in polite company was tasteless

To be honest a million squid does not necessarily mean life will be rosy in Australia, mind I would not mind a go.

B

I'd rather have the problems that are associated with money, than without it