Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much can it rain in 1 day (perth)

How much can it rain in 1 day (perth)

Old Jun 8th 2005, 12:43 pm
Badge

Default Re: How much can it rain in 1 day (perth)

What I said about rain

Rainfall

Most shocking, well extreme stat, Perth gets sod all rain in January, mid summer, almost half that of Adelaide, next ranked, a quarter of Melbourne, one tenth of Brissy's tropical summer showers!!

By July, in Perth, rainfall has increased by almost 130 times!!
By far the wettest winter aussie capital; how the others compare - 2.5x less (Syd/Mel/Adelaide, all similar, in that order) to 6 times (Brissy).

Melbourne is the only state to get drier in Feb, all other states get wetter in February, Brissy (by 25pc), Perth then wakes up and finally gets 6 times wetter on it's way to that mid winter target!!!

As we all know, total rainfall is not really an issue, it's how many days we have to suffer it. Most of us want to escape perpertual drizzle; we don't mind the occasional let's make a rain slide down the paddock fun and games.

Not only does Sydney gets the most annual rain 1300mm, almost a third more than Brissy (1000mm), in fact, which you could naively accuse of being the Australian Capital City rain culprit - save say Darwin - is that a capital?

It also gets rain days that are consistently uniform throughout the year 8-11 days per month, say 1 in 3. Having said that in Jan, it dumps faster than in Brissy as it rains on 11, days rather than 10, but gets 40mm more. It is more uniform than Melbourne which ranges from about 11(summer)-16(winter) rain days per month over the year.

Melbourne gets an occurence of rain more all year, getting worse in the winter, raining on 1 day in 2, although Melbourne averages moreorless the same amount of rain all year, unlike Brisbane and Sydney..which cop it in the summer.

Badge

Old Jun 8th 2005, 12:49 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Three Legs
OK...now I've calmed down, does anyone have the web address for the Saharan Immigration Office ?

Thanks

Three Legs
Dont worry Country WA is pretty much the Sahara in Summer.

Never did I think I would say and mean this but I bloody love winter in this country.

You can always warm yourself up when it is a bit chilly but you physically cant cool yourself down when it is 45 degrees in summer.

Kala
Old Jun 8th 2005, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jensteve
Well after a sleepless night of thundering and lightening and the sound of footballs bouncing off the roof and the electric tripping out about 2am I awake (sort of) to more rain. Just how much can it rain?
In preparation for the rain we drained a bit of the pool and now that is overflowing so there's about 4/5 inches overnight and now more and I thought I saw a glimmer or blue sky and sun.
Oh well no rest for the wicked must go out down to Osbourne park for floor tiles stuck behind the Aussies on the freeway who think driving conditions are so bad they drive at a crawl, god help them if they ever met snow!

Jenny
That's something that no-one ever tells you overseas, is it?

Despite being a dry and sunny continent, when it rains, it literally buckets down. That always amuses me (not in a vindictive way though), the look of sheer wonder when someone visiting gets caught in or sees their first real Australian storm.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=JayDeee][QUOTE=darkless]
Originally Posted by Simone
In the shower I get that 'frozen hands on heater' feeling. I don't know how I'm going to keep showering in the cold like this, without even a warm towel. I think I'll have to buy one of those 'oil heaters' for the bathroom....

Thats great, gonna get my butt down WA salvage in the morning, still not cold up here but wont be long and my bathroom doesn't have a propper window just them slatts that are so old they are rusted open.

I heard last week that WA salvage are owned by west farmers (who also own bunnings) and they are closing down WA slavages later in the year??????????
I heard that too - although probably on here, so may have both heard the same incorrect rumour

I can't see why they would be revamping their stores, changing their product lines etc if they were going to close in less than 6 months - they have started doing kitchens etc. Seems to me they are changing their image and stock, but closing i dunno.

That said I do remember catch half a news story on the radio about the WA Salvage guy (Luigi is it?) being out of work later this year, after over 20 years being their knotted hankey icon!!

Perhaps it is true, but I would love to know what was going through the mind of the boss revamping the stores, 6 months before shutting them down
Old Jun 8th 2005, 7:31 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=darkless][QUOTE=JayDeee]
Originally Posted by darkless

I heard that too - although probably on here, so may have both heard the same incorrect rumour

I can't see why they would be revamping their stores, changing their product lines etc if they were going to close in less than 6 months - they have started doing kitchens etc. Seems to me they are changing their image and stock, but closing i dunno.

That said I do remember catch half a news story on the radio about the WA Salvage guy (Luigi is it?) being out of work later this year, after over 20 years being their knotted hankey icon!!

Perhaps it is true, but I would love to know what was going through the mind of the boss revamping the stores, 6 months before shutting them down
Apparently the new shop that is "replacing WA Salvage" is also owned by West Farmers maybe it is revamped WA Salvage but they are not marketing it that way??

Who know As long as I can still get my super bargains I am happy
Old Jun 9th 2005, 8:58 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

I think you need to start a new thread, Jenny. Titled "How much can it rain in 1 week (perth) LOL

It's been bucketing here on and off all day. (And when I say bucketing, I mean the sky opens up in a big tear and dumps a lake on us.)

Good weather for ducks!

Siren
Old Jun 9th 2005, 9:55 am
Badge

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
I think you need to start a new thread, Jenny. Titled "How much can it rain in 1 week (perth) LOL

It's been bucketing here on and off all day. (And when I say bucketing, I mean the sky opens up in a big tear and dumps a lake on us.)

Good weather for ducks!

Siren
Highest max for month is 278mm in July, av 183mm, compared to an average of a mere 1.4mm in January. Highest ever in a day was c.65mm.

badge

Old Jun 9th 2005, 11:28 am
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

Current weather is nothing compared to July !!
Old Jun 9th 2005, 11:47 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JayDeee
Same up here, in the last 24 hrs I have collected 58mm in my rain guage.

I now know why they call Geraldton the windy city. we are right in the ocean and our little bit of coast faces n/w so we are copping the wind and rain pretty bad. The power lines out the back were smashing together last night and I was stuck in the laundry (which is an outhouse the other side of the garden) unable to get back because balls of white fire were bouncing accross my garden towards my main building. Never in my life have I been so scared, I was trying to call the police so they could get a road block up but the walkabout phone reception isn't too good in the laundry so I just had to run for it. I think I came as close to having a heart attack as you can without having one. a bit later the street power went out (ours stayed on fortunately so it was pitch black, peeing with rain and fire and I had to go out in it to lock up the property.

Just to top it off the lovely hubby is out at the Abrolhos Islands and has been for 4 days (long weekend and very busy, he sure knows when to take a holiday) he very kindly took my wet weather coat so I have been soaked to the underware 4 times in the last day and now have the sniffles oh and I fell down the stairs because they were wet and slippery.

All in all probably the best day of my life so far yesterday :scared:

Kala (in desperate need of a large JD and lay in)
L]I,m glad you added "IN" after the LAY part .................. mm
Old Jun 9th 2005, 11:54 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

I heard about the horrendous weather in WA!

I hope everybody's OK!
Old Jun 9th 2005, 12:33 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Badge
A recent post of mine showed that, from the BOM site, in winter Perth gets something like 4 times the rain that the other capitals gets - (or - 4 times the amount it gets in the autumn, one of the 2) it absolutely PISSES down - (I hear at night). The rain starts after an average of practically none in the autumn.

It was the most remarkable thing I discovered about climate.

badge
Yeah but the really great thing about Perth is that it predominately rains at night (OK this last week or 2 has been an exception)
Old Jun 9th 2005, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

honeybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant future

I don't know if it's just me, I love the rain! I'm chilling out, candles lit (incase the power cuts out! ), glass of red wine, great documentary on - "Billabong Odyssey" (bit cliched i know!) listening to the thunder and absolutely loving it... there is No place I would rather be at this minute in time...

I love the sun, but equally I love the rain, and the black skies that come with it, every thing has it's place and it's natural beauty... come on admit it, you love the extremeties of weather here!!!!!
Old Jun 9th 2005, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonyk38
I heard about the horrendous weather in WA!

I hope everybody's OK!
I got in from Melbourne today and its almost tropical over there by comparison.

Went across to Hilarys Marina for tea and half the joint is shut. Its a tourist spot isn't it? We walked into the fish and chippery and was told by several people that it was shut !!

We might have to sus out Freo tomorrow evening to see if anything is open there.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 1:26 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by honeybob
I don't know if it's just me, I love the rain! I'm chilling out, candles lit (incase the power cuts out! ), glass of red wine, great documentary on - "Billabong Odyssey" (bit cliched i know!) listening to the thunder and absolutely loving it... there is No place I would rather be at this minute in time...

I love the sun, but equally I love the rain, and the black skies that come with it, every thing has it's place and it's natural beauty... come on admit it, you love the extremeties of weather here!!!!!
Honeybob, you're back!

How the devil are you old chum?
Old Jun 9th 2005, 1:54 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

At the age of 16 {1968} i was working with a fencing contractor from PT AUGUSTA in SA , we were on Moonera station , on the WA side of the Nullabor plain, they had not had rain for 18 mths, the old shearers cook , a bit of a bush poet, one night over a few beers he came out with, "The rain on the plain ,is remembered in the brain" and i even think to day "when did it rain last"??............. ...mm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.