Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much to build your own house?

How much to build your own house?

Old Apr 25th 2007, 7:06 pm
UK to Brissy - August 07

smoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nice
Default How much to build your own house?

Hi

I know how much we could buy land for but what about the cost of buliding. I've looked at some of the builders webs sites and they give prices for the differnet designs of homes, but what would go on top of that. Do these prices typically include laying of foundations and installations of utilities or are these extras?

Anyone out there know anything about this, the price for the houses look great but are there hidden costs beyond the purchasing of the building block.

Cheers
Old Apr 25th 2007, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How much to build your own house?

Originally Posted by smoggieswilltravel
Hi

I know how much we could buy land for but what about the cost of buliding. I've looked at some of the builders webs sites and they give prices for the differnet designs of homes, but what would go on top of that. Do these prices typically include laying of foundations and installations of utilities or are these extras?

Anyone out there know anything about this, the price for the houses look great but are there hidden costs beyond the purchasing of the building block.

Cheers
Sorry I can not answer you question, but I will watch with interest for replies as we would also like to look at doing this.
We have had a good look at www.avjennings.com.au and I think that they give prices and inclusions, it might be worth you having a look.
We are going out there (in 3 weeks and 2 days ) for 3 weeks so we will be having a look into this.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

David Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=smoggieswilltravel;4696750]Hi

This may not be of much help to you as it is US based ( I'm a Realtor in Atlanta). The two ways to calculate the costs are a per sq foot cost ( in US currently it is about $135 per sq foot). That is for a top quality product - better kitchen appliances, hardwood floors, crown moulding etc. The other way ( builders use this) is to determine what the market will bear. What are homes in that area selling for? If they are,say, $400K - the builder cannot pay more than $100K for the land or 25%. The actual clearing and site preparation, construction etc will be $200K or 50%. That leaves 25% or $100K to cover marketing costs, sales commissions, construction interest and a profit. If you have bought your own piece of land and it is cleared of trees and other obstacles you have already incurred 25% of the homes market value. Don't build it too much bigger and better than surrounding homes to ensure you can make a profit on resale.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 9:10 pm
UK to Brissy - August 07

smoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nice

[QUOTE=David Richardson;4696998]
Originally Posted by smoggieswilltravel
Hi

This may not be of much help to you as it is US based ( I'm a Realtor in Atlanta). The two ways to calculate the costs are a per sq foot cost ( in US currently it is about $135 per sq foot). That is for a top quality product - better kitchen appliances, hardwood floors, crown moulding etc. The other way ( builders use this) is to determine what the market will bear. What are homes in that area selling for? If they are,say, $400K - the builder cannot pay more than $100K for the land or 25%. The actual clearing and site preparation, construction etc will be $200K or 50%. That leaves 25% or $100K to cover marketing costs, sales commissions, construction interest and a profit. If you have bought your own piece of land and it is cleared of trees and other obstacles you have already incurred 25% of the homes market value. Don't build it too much bigger and better than surrounding homes to ensure you can make a profit on resale.
Hi

Thanks for that information, it cetainly looks like its worth looking into. We are awaiting comfirmation on a job offer hopefully this week and then as its a 457 visa will be off this summer. Any more inforation on this would be, I can then add it in to my little Blue Book of info.

Cheers