Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much for a baby in Oz?

How much for a baby in Oz?

Old May 24th 2004, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

I want one!
Do you reckon 39,nearly 40 is too old???
donna
Old May 24th 2004, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

No!!!! Go on, have one more, then you can put those maternal hormones to rest!
How old to kids have to be to babysit? Just planning how long I need to wait until the next one! Lol, only joking...
Or, maybe we could set up an Expat Kibbutz?
Old May 25th 2004, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

All these 3rd babies ,we should start our own club !!!!!
(3rd due Oct 16th).
==========================

Due a few days after you on 21st Oct
Old May 25th 2004, 3:48 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

i had my 3rd here in perth 3 months ago, we arrived when i was 28 weeks so i had already had all my major tests, i was still given various blood tests all covered by medicare, all my ante natal care was covered too, the care in the hospital (joondalup) was great, although i wasnt there for long, again all covered by medicare.

i feel the care i got here was better than the uk and it didnt cost me a cent.

good luck

Lynn
Old May 25th 2004, 6:19 pm
Anxiously awaiting March

vicky o will become famous soon enoughvicky o will become famous soon enough

I'm feeling so much better with all you lot giving me all this support and encouragement.

And YES!!! We should start a something to involve all the little ozzie babes!!
Old May 25th 2004, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

elbow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How much for a baby in Oz?

Originally posted by vicky o
Can anyone who has had a baby in Oz, tell me the cost involved? Does medicare cover any of the cost? How easy is it to get obstetric care? etc etc.
Any advice welcomed.

Thanks in advance
I was wondering if you would be covered for this in the first two years. I'm sure you can't claim any sort of state benefits for the first two years as new migrants. Anyone clarify this?
Old May 26th 2004, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

Originally posted by DianeOZ
A lot of people do have their babies under private care so they can choose their obstretrician (spelling!!) etc. I think the figure is about 60%.

I am also pregnant with my 3rd and so far the only cost involved was a portion of the cost of the nuchal scan.

Good luck
Old May 26th 2004, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

I was told (and I am just saying what I was told!) that people that have their babies in public hospitals here come from the lower socio-economic end!!!!-and they say there is no class system here!!!

Originally posted by DianeOZ
A lot of people do have their babies under private care so they can choose their obstretrician (spelling!!) etc. I think the figure is about 60%.

I am also pregnant with my 3rd and so far the only cost involved was a portion of the cost of the nuchal scan.

Good luck
Old May 26th 2004, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Originally posted by elbow
I was wondering if you would be covered for this in the first two years. I'm sure you can't claim any sort of state benefits for the first two years as new migrants. Anyone clarify this?

Elbow - as long as you have PR you are covered for medicare and various benefits from the family assistance office if you have children - check out their websites.

Melaniee - oooooh, that was a nice person who told you that. Not.
Old May 26th 2004, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

I know-that is what I thought as well!

[i].

Melaniee - oooooh, that was a nice person who told you that. Not.
Old May 26th 2004, 2:20 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

so does that mean that i am a hacker and that my little indie will be labeled just because he was born in a public hospital?

Elbow, like i said we had only been here 3 months when Indie was born and it was all covered by medicare, there are also various centrelink payments which you are entitled if you are a permanent resident.

Lynn
Old May 26th 2004, 3:05 am
Just Joined

lookingforjob is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ulujain
Covers all of it in a public hospital. Assuming you're eligible for Medicare to begin with.

Just for a joke, my two kids were worth US$13000 together here in America to have. I'm glad I was insured.
Can you choose the doctor? Or the doctor is assigned by the hospital and you have no way to choose more senior doctor.
Old May 26th 2004, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

No, thats one of the benefits of private healthcare, you get to choose.
Old May 26th 2004, 3:31 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by lookingforjob
Can you choose the doctor? Or the doctor is assigned by the hospital and you have no way to choose more senior doctor.
That I don't know. I have no experience with maternity issues in Australia.
Old May 26th 2004, 3:46 am
BE Enthusiast

As a poor public patient you just have to take whoever you get, i found that most of the docs on duty for ante-natal appointments were really great, there was one occasion about 3 weeks before Indie was born where i had a bleed and went in to be checked out, the doc i saw (helga the hungarian hammer thrower) didnt fill me with confidence and knew how to inflict pain whilst trying to inspect my cervix and all decisions were made by a more senior doc who i never saw, but the midwife who looked after me was the one i really trusted, she was great, knew what she was talking about and guiding "helga" in all the tests she carried out.

When Indie was born i had 2 midwives in attendance for his entrance into the world and they were wonderful (if a bit bossy at the time). The consultant popped in and out occasionally and he did the stitching up afterwards, again he was really good.

Its all well and good being able to choose who you want for the birth but what happens if that person is unavailable when your turn comes, would the stress of not having that person there make things worse for you than not having any strong views on it?

Lynn public hospital scum

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.