Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How to meet Brits in Perth ?

How to meet Brits in Perth ?

Old Jan 19th 2004, 3:39 am
Just Joined

Steve the pom is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile How to meet Brits in Perth ?

My Brother and his family (wife two kids 7 and 5 ) are ,as I type on their way to Perth to start a new life , they have no relatives there and as yet no friends , they are renting a house in Joondalup, has anyone got any advice on good family pubs or clubs where they can meet up with the Brit community , im going down there myself next weekend to meet up with them for Australia day , has anyone experienced the celebrations before in Perth and got any tips for a great family day!
Cheers in advance
Steve
Old Jan 19th 2004, 4:03 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to meet Brits in Perth ?

Originally posted by Steve the pom
My Brother and his family (wife two kids 7 and 5 ) are ,as I type on their way to Perth to start a new life , they have no relatives there and as yet no friends , they are renting a house in Joondalup, has anyone got any advice on good family pubs or clubs where they can meet up with the Brit community , im going down there myself next weekend to meet up with them for Australia day , has anyone experienced the celebrations before in Perth and got any tips for a great family day!
Cheers in advance
Steve
The Perth skyworks is supposed to be great, but get there early either Kings Park or the foreshore.

As for Joondalup, it's a great place. I love it - ideal for families and with a big British population. Your brother and wife will quickly make friends, probably through school at first.

There is a pub in Joondalup, made famous on this forum by a certain Pommie Bastard, called the Old Bailey. When I last went there it was full of Poms and had a few familiar beers on tap.

I would say your brother ought to concentrate on meeting new people, regardless of their nationalities we have many good friends from the UK, South Africa and Australia and we've never sought the company of Brits specifically..
Old Jan 19th 2004, 4:24 am
Just Joined

Cheers for that Renth, I should have made it clear that they are not going to Australia to live as Brits eating Brit food and watching Eastenders , coming from London they are very liberal minded , my sister in law has spent most of her life living in South Africa , its just that they wanted a bit of familiarity until they find their feet,
This Old Bailey pub is it suitable for children to visit ?
Oh and while I think of it can you get Box Jelly fish in the seas off Perth , I know last year the coast off Cairns was full of the bloody things ,
Thanks again
Old Jan 19th 2004, 4:41 am
Forum Regular

lynn kennedy is an unknown quantity at this point

5 mins down the road from joondalup is woodvale where some of my friends live and it is full of pommies, go to the moon & sixpence (kids allowed) and they will find plenty of 'new & old migrants' to chat too.

lynn
Old Jan 19th 2004, 4:46 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

From what I hear you could ask how to avoid poms in Perth? Like Bondi much harder to do.
Old Jan 19th 2004, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Lynn - my hubby is going for a "boys night out" to the moon & sixpence on Saturday!! Not a pretty thought.

Do they still do nice food there?

Di
Old Jan 19th 2004, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

Hi Steve,

Have you seen the details re the Perth meet?

You could always try Dare I mention it Poms In Perth?

I think it is only natural that us Brits want to meet other Brits esp when you first come over here-does it matter what nationality your friends are? No!

We are all in a similar position so understand what the other person/family is going through.

Cheers in advance
Steve
Old Jan 21st 2004, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

lynn kennedy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Di, yep the food is good and kids eat free before 7 so you could surprise hubby & go with him!
Lynn
Old Jan 21st 2004, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

ajec is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers in advance
Steve
Hi Steve

I felt the same when I first came over and as a result have just finished a new web site that helps migrants contact each other for support etc - it's very new and we're just getting it established but it's worth registering and searching for others in a similar position - from UK or anywhere else! Have a look at www.connections.com.au It would be good if you/they could come along to the Perth meet on Feb 13 th too!
Old Jan 21st 2004, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

Dawn Adams will become famous soon enough

Cheers in advance
Steve

Geoff at www.aussiemove.com was organising something.... I don't know how it is going/went.
Old Jan 21st 2004, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

morrie is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry lucky sods

To Steve the Pom. How lucky you are to be over there now. I have experienced Aussie day many many times as I have lived there for 16 years. At present I am in England waiting desperatly to return. I sugest you all take a train to town up to Kings Park. It will be good to take a torch, jersey for the evening as us Poms will feel a little chilly at night and nibbles and drink and of course a strong singing voice to get into the spirit. Hope you all have a wonderfulful time. Morrie

:PARTY:
Old Jan 21st 2004, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

pagey is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers in advance
Steve

hi steve ,
There`s a few of us ( not sure who exactly) are meeting in Fremantle at;
The Esplande hotel ( in the bar ... obviously)
7pm
fri 13 ( coincidence ) feb

might see you there?
Old Jan 21st 2004, 11:24 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the advice and will certainly be visiting the Moon and Sixpence next week to get a feel for it, I was lucky enough to be in Melbourne last year for Australia Day and that was a great day out , But ive been told that Perth is a bit special ,though all the Aussie media was full of stories that they are trying to ban Australia Day as its not P.C !!, thank god they didnt manage it before this year ,
Can anyone advise THE place to head for to see the fireworks, we will be staying a couple of nights at the Hyatt Regency before joining up with my brother ,
The following weekend we will be at the W.A.C.A to see the Aussies play India , will any other message boarders be enjoying a pint or two at the cricket that day ?
Bye for now
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

jen n summer is an unknown quantity at this point

dear steve we are of to perth to start a new life in feb my daughter is 10 my husband and i would love to meet your family jregards jen n summer