Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How to marry in Australia

How to marry in Australia

Old Feb 6th 2007, 1:03 am
Just Joined

K Schlegl is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face How to marry in Australia

hi, I've been a member of Brit expats for a couple of years now even tho I am not a Brit. I have close friends that want to be together. They met about two years ago. He was on a working visa from England. She is an Aussie. She is divorced with two kids and doing it pretty hard. He has been shuffled from job to job trying to stay close by going to New Zealand getting visas- (I do not know many of the details).
My question, is there any way that they can get married without paying the fee, they seem to have a emergency every time they get the cash together for the visa requirements.
For instance, can they just get married? Would traveling to a different state, say the ACT make a difference? btw she can't leave the country, she had so much happen she had to go bankrupt and they will not let her travel outside the country)
Old Feb 6th 2007, 1:55 am
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice
Default Re: How to marry in Australia

What fee are you talking about? If you want to get married in this country you need to pay a fee for the celebrant and registration fee which I think all in are around $500 or more...Is that what you are talking about?
Old Feb 6th 2007, 1:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hedgehog-girl
What fee are you talking about? If you want to get married in this country you need to pay a fee for the celebrant and registration fee which I think all in are around $500 or more...Is that what you are talking about?

I think she means the visa application fee, which in answer to the OP, I doubt would be waived.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 2:21 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by K Schlegl
hi, I've been a member of Brit expats for a couple of years now even tho I am not a Brit. I have close friends that want to be together. They met about two years ago. He was on a working visa from England. She is an Aussie. She is divorced with two kids and doing it pretty hard. He has been shuffled from job to job trying to stay close by going to New Zealand getting visas- (I do not know many of the details).
My question, is there any way that they can get married without paying the fee, they seem to have a emergency every time they get the cash together for the visa requirements.
For instance, can they just get married? Would traveling to a different state, say the ACT make a difference? btw she can't leave the country, she had so much happen she had to go bankrupt and they will not let her travel outside the country)
They can get married, but that doesn't give himthe right to stay in Aus, they will have to apply for a spouse visa for him after the marriage, and I can't imagine DIMA will waive the cost of that.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 2:42 am
Just Joined

Hi thanks for your replies. yes I mean the working visa part- seems like they have to pay approx $2,000 cash. I just thought if they married on counsulate ground or there might be some other slim chance, but I expect that you are right and the gov wouldn't wave anything.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 2:44 am
Just Joined

BTW did I understand? what is a spouse visa? What does that involve?
Old Feb 6th 2007, 2:47 am
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute

BTW did I understand? what is a spouse visa? What does that involve?
Hi have a look at www.immi.gov.au and search for "partner visa" this has lots of info on it
Old Feb 6th 2007, 2:48 am
Just Joined

cool, thanks, I hate to ask them so many questions, they have a lot on their plate.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 2:56 am
Just Joined

a quick question, has anyone just got married in Australia without any applications etc? (from a commonwealth country?)
Old Feb 6th 2007, 6:09 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

a quick question, has anyone just got married in Australia without any applications etc? (from a commonwealth country?)
You can't come to Australia without applying for some type of visa, whether it be a tourist visa, marriage visa or skilled visa, they simply will not let you get past Customs at the airport.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 7:27 am
Just Joined

I understand that completely. I was just wondering- if out of pure naivety and ignorance someone got married while visiting in Australia, to an Australian- what would happen-.It probably would not be recognized until some sort of visa change was made-
Probably a useless thought but I imagine someone who does not know about these things could have done it.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 7:33 am
Account Closed

Deer Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point

I understand that completely. I was just wondering- if out of pure naivety and ignorance someone got married while visiting in Australia, to an Australian- what would happen-.It probably would not be recognized until some sort of visa change was made-
Probably a useless thought but I imagine someone who does not know about these things could have done it.

You cannot just show up and legally marry an Aussie. You must first apply to marry at the registry and the minimum amount of time you have to wait is 1 month and 1 day. Then you are able to legally marry.

After that you would then have to apply for a spouse visa with the required proof that you are a geniune couple, have the funds to support yourselves, etc. And you would also have to pay the application fee, just like everyone else.