Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How many of us have friends, family or partners from Oz?

How many of us have friends, family or partners from Oz?

Old Jul 6th 2005, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How many of us have friends, family or partners from Oz?

I have my sister and her hubby here. It was their decision to come and we just followed. I doubt we would have even considered it, had it not been for them. Our cousin has just been accepted and will be here in December to validate. We have several friends that we met here but none that we knew from the UK or S.Africa.
Old Jul 6th 2005, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Un-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond repute

I married an Australian and funnily enough the boyfriend before him was Aussie too. I must be a mad
Old Jul 6th 2005, 4:42 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

My parents & brother & uncle live in Australia but rather than that being a deciding factor in moving to Aus it is more of a reassurance for us that we will have a support network there when we arrive....
Old Jul 6th 2005, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

lilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pako
From working in London, and the type of job I do, I have met a lot of aussies and kiwis and have made some really great lasting friendships. I'm also married to an Australian and therefore have in-laws out there to.

I was just wondering how many of us know peeps down under and has it helped making the decision to leave the UK?
Both myself and my wife(gobbbyjock) have relatives out in W.A. I personally think that it will be a great help when we (fingers crossed) get there. I have an Aunt, Uncle and two cousins, while the wife has an Aunt. To add to that, my uncle and my cousins are in the building trade, so can help with finding a job (I'm an electrician) and with the ins and outs of buying a house and getting around. I reckon that if anyone is emmigrating and thinking of working fly in / fly out e.g. Mine work, a few friendly faces will help the wife and any kids cope a bit better. My wife, having been married to me for getting on for ten years in the latter part of my royal navy service is used to me being away, however i think it will be a lot different if i end up working in the mines and she is still trying to adjust to life in Oz. It will be a great help to me knowing that there are family close at hand. Ironically, we will probably live closer to our Aunts etc. in Oz than our close family in England (Our nearest relative in England is a good 4 hours away.)
Old Jul 6th 2005, 7:09 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lilstewie
Both myself and my wife(gobbbyjock) have relatives out in W.A. I personally think that it will be a great help when we (fingers crossed) get there. I have an Aunt, Uncle and two cousins, while the wife has an Aunt. To add to that, my uncle and my cousins are in the building trade, so can help with finding a job (I'm an electrician) and with the ins and outs of buying a house and getting around. I reckon that if anyone is emmigrating and thinking of working fly in / fly out e.g. Mine work, a few friendly faces will help the wife and any kids cope a bit better. My wife, having been married to me for getting on for ten years in the latter part of my royal navy service is used to me being away, however i think it will be a lot different if i end up working in the mines and she is still trying to adjust to life in Oz. It will be a great help to me knowing that there are family close at hand. Ironically, we will probably live closer to our Aunts etc. in Oz than our close family in England (Our nearest relative in England is a good 4 hours away.)

I think the moving across the other side of the world is made much easier by having family who can greet you and take you under their wing when you get there. I don't think I would do it otherwise
Old Jul 6th 2005, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

lilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brisben
I think the moving across the other side of the world is made much easier by having family who can greet you and take you under their wing when you get there. I don't think I would do it otherwise
Likewise..
Old Jul 6th 2005, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

chilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nice

My Mum and Step Dad are out in Perth, going out there to see them has been a pretty major part in the decision to head out myself. Besides which if I wasn't sponsored by them I wouldn't be able to get out there at all

Now I am in the final lap, hoping I get the visa!?
Old Aug 18th 2005, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

Spriteracer is an unknown quantity at this point

I spent a year backpacking in 97/98 and met a lovely girl in Melbourne, now, 8 odd years later we have decided that i really should be over there and not over here!

But looking at visa requirements and doing a few online points scores i really don't know how we are going to manage that!

Without her being there i think i would still be thinking about moving, but I would do a few courses and get some relevent qualifications first and then take a few long holidays over there to settle in before the move. The thought of not having family and friends with me is a bit daunting, but you are never really more than a day away form them if you were needed urgently.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 12:59 pm
Nicest member ( I think)

meelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie George
But how many people would still be so keen on going if they were in our situation? Family is often cited on the forum as a pull factor. And knowing not one single person in a country can be a kinda scary thought.
We didn't know a soul here, had never set foot in the country before but here we are! Hubby arrived 1st April as he was sponsored. As for me, i arrived with my 16 year old daughter who is now going to high school, has a boyfriend and friends she goes out with. And I secured a job within 4 weeks of arriving too. We decided we wanted a better quality of life that and the weather etc was the attraction for us. What we don't know we will learn. It was scary but things are working out really well for us and I'm glad we took the risk.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 1:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

My Wife is about as Old white Gen aussie as one can get with a Huge family here. It was a very interesting experience back in the Early 80's for me to come and meet her 3 brothers, as it was for them. As they couldn't work out why their Sister need to import a Pom against the natural order of things. Particuarly as they were the bush version of Aussies, originally from Parkes NSW, with some Bush mentality left over as they had only moved as far as Bendigo.

My london Savvy was stretched to the limit back in those days, I must say, I think it was my drinking prowess that helped.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Gippsland, Victoria since April '05 and loving it! (ex-Belgium)
Libra76 will become famous soon enough

I married an Aussie so yes, that was a good reason to consider the big move to down under

Couldn't be any happier... well I could... but all things considered, best thing we've done so far. Big plus is that I get along great with in-laws, makes it a bit easier

Cheers
Els
Old Aug 18th 2005, 1:44 pm
Account Closed

suzy is an unknown quantity at this point

We have friends in Perth and Victoria but even if we didn't we would still emigrate not knowing a soul. I have never felt I belong in England - I spent many happy hols in Oz when I was younger and travelled around using a working holiday visa in my 20's. I have family in NZ but none in the UK which will make it easier for me but it will be hard for hubby to leave his mum and dad. We are going to treat this experience as another of life's adventures.

My best friend and her family have applied to emigrate too which will be a huge bonus for us.

Suzy
Old Aug 18th 2005, 2:55 pm
BLC

My family UK, his family Oz - welcome to the twilight world of no matter which country you are in you always seems to be 12,000 miles away from the person that needs you

Old Aug 18th 2005, 3:29 pm
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BLC
My family UK, his family Oz - welcome to the twilight world of no matter which country you are in you always seems to be 12,000 miles away from the person that needs you

Have to ditto that one B....my mates always say out of all the guys in your life why the hell was it you married an Aussie.....just don't know who you will fall in love with!!
Old Aug 18th 2005, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

lovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nice

Yeah us. Partners sister lives in Leeming WA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.