Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How many people ...

How many people ...

Old Jul 13th 2005, 11:41 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How many people ...

Are hoping to be accepted by Australia, spend a couple of years there, obtain citizenship and return home ... just so they have it ?

It's possibly a taboo question ...
Old Jul 13th 2005, 11:46 am

amanda76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How many people ...

although this is not what we are intending to do, this is what will happen if we hate it in oz!!! this has always been out contingency plan!!! the reason we are saying that, is because if we hate it we will stay there until we get citizenship for our children, to ensure they are free to go in and out. but we hope at this moment of time that we grow old there.................... ..

amanda
Old Jul 13th 2005, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

Greigrob is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by amanda76
although this is not what we are intending to do, this is what will happen if we hate it in oz!!! this has always been out contingency plan!!! the reason we are saying that, is because if we hate it we will stay there until we get citizenship for our children, to ensure they are free to go in and out. but we hope at this moment of time that we grow old there.................... ..

amanda
Ditto
Old Jul 13th 2005, 11:49 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by Three Legs
Are hoping to be accepted by Australia, spend a couple of years there, obtain citizenship and return home ... just so they have it ?

Are you still hungover

After all the kerfuffle of selling in UK, moving 12,000 miles, setting up home again, getting jobs, coping with a stroppy teenager, shipping all our stuff and bringing a mad spinger spaniel all this way.......d'ya really think we wanna do all that again

Id rather take me bowels out with a stick

Old Jul 13th 2005, 11:50 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

I suspect some people are "doing it" 'cos they can.

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Are you still hungover

After all the kerfuffle of selling in UK, moving 12,000 miles, setting up home again, getting jobs, coping with a stroppy teenager, shipping all our stuff and bringing a mad spinger spaniel all this way.......d'ya really think we wanna do all that again

Old Jul 13th 2005, 11:52 am
Phoenixuk2oz

I suspect some people are "doing it" 'cos they can.
Aye....hope they remember the white cardi that ties up round the back....and the padded front room to match

Old Jul 13th 2005, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz

Old Jul 13th 2005, 11:52 pm
ABCDiamond

There was a Poll done some time back, (I haven't looked for it just now), but from memory I recall about 20% that migrated here said that they did so with the intention of only staying a few years.

I remember it, as I recalled thinking, at the time, that it was a similar % to the figure that is often quoted for migrants returning home from here.

Old Jul 13th 2005, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

No that was not our intention, just a 'back-up'. It would be daft to go to all this effort and expense to leave without it. I merely meant that IF we went back, I would like to get my citizenship first. This would give us and our children options for the future which my parents now don't have.
Ruth
Old Jul 14th 2005, 12:01 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Somthing to be aware of is they don't just hand it to you after 2 years. For us, the time from applying (on the day after we were eligible) to the ceremony date was 5 months.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

I think that if you don't come back you lose it. Not sure of the rules on that.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 12:10 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NedKelly
Not true, once you've got citizenship you've got it forever (unless you renounce it), the only exception is if they find out you falsified your application.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by renth
Somthing to be aware of is they don't just hand it to you after 2 years. For us, the time from applying (on the day after we were eligible) to the ceremony date was 5 months.
This is probably a silly question, but are you only considered a citizen once you have been to the ceremony? I have heard from some people that you don't have to attend it and from others, that you do.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 12:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NedKelly
Don't think so. Its like your UK passport. Do you think you lose it if you don't go back to the UK for X number of years?

JTL
Old Jul 14th 2005, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Not true, once you've got citizenship you've got it forever (unless you renounce it), the only exception is if they find out you falsified your application.
Well maybe they have changed the rules but my sis-in-law was born here (about 40 years ago) and moved to the UK when she was 9. She had an Australian Passport but never renewed it. Then she got a UK passport as she was born to UK parents. Now she can't get her Australian passport back. Maybe she didn't tick the right boxes on the form.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.