Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How many out of work?

View Poll Results: If you are looking for work, how long since you had work?
4 weeks
16.67%
10 weeks
16.67%
30 weeks
16.67%
52 weeks
50.00%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

How many out of work?

Old Sep 16th 2011, 11:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How many out of work?

Originally Posted by deb68
Been here seven months nearly, i work as a nurse and hubby is engineering based but out of work.
We claim for nothing only the children's standard entitlements, Yet we see and hear all these stories of people surviving on dole handouts, like in England, HOW DO THEY DO IT?
We came here to start again and work our way through life, just a pity my hubby cannot get a chance and show what he can do, he knocks doors sends emails writes letters makes phone calls, only to be told hes to experienced for the role available, or hes a pom.
Seriously Deb68? Do they actually say that?
Old Sep 17th 2011, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TopCat3
That's what my hubby used to get when we first moved here, he used to be told they have a job but they fear he might get bored as he is too experience he tried for 3 months in the state we moved to & nothing then he applied for jobs in other states & he got 2 jobs offers.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 12:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Whether they can or not is irrelevant, they do....
Old Sep 17th 2011, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold

Not directly at you, but it's so obvious that they are

This line rings oh so many bells with me of late they fear he might get bored as he is too experience
Not a chance if thats the mind set before you even turn up for the interview is it, come on Australia GIZ A JOB.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 12:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

This line rings oh so many bells with me of late they fear he might get bored as he is too experience
Not a chance if thats the mind set before you even turn up for the interview is it, come on Australia GIZ A JOB.
Nope but after interviewing with colleagues I've had... Cant have another bloody pom ..... Said out loud in my hearing....
Old Sep 17th 2011, 1:16 am
BE Enthusiast

TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold

No what I'm asking is has he (or anyone on here) been told it's because they are a pom. I mean, literally been told that.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 1:32 am
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold

No what I'm asking is has he (or anyone on here) been told it's because they are a pom. I mean, literally been told that.
No TC3 he has not, but it's common knowledge to it going on, especially within certain work sectors.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 1:54 am
BE Enthusiast

No TC3 he has not, but it's common knowledge to it going on, especially within certain work sectors.
Thanks for clarifying. Mostly "blokes" I presume? Sorry to hear it's affecting your hubby's chances. Open an olde English style tea shoppe in a high pom demographic area!
Old Sep 17th 2011, 2:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Yeah, but we want to inter grate not segregate from the locals, just a pity some of them are so insercure about 'poms'. We was never like this back in blighty when the polish came over in there thousands, paul had loads at his place of work doing the work some of his team members refused. A bit like here i suppose just that with the crunch hitting a bit now, locals are realising theres more need for a proper job and not just a bit now and then or when the car needs some fuel blah blah blah.
The buggers will not beat us
Old Sep 17th 2011, 9:22 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

To bring some balance ....I've never been refused a job due to being a pom nor have I felt that's been held against me

Would be interesting to find how many of us being out of work were not able to claim benefits?

That would mean those not claiming benefits wouldn't be included in the unemployment figs - I suspect there are more excluded than included
Old Sep 17th 2011, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Wherever I drive to after work each evening I guess
Toe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud of

Interestingly, I looked for work when arrived and was asked "Do you have Australian work experience?". When I pressed further, it was "Do you have experience working in Qld specifically?" The agencies effectively said I had no hope, until one gave me an "unofficial" steer to someone who had been in a similar situation years earlier.

Now being in construction, organising a hole to be dug and filled in is the same in Blighty, Australia or the bleeding moon.

Eventually got a job with a cosmopolitan company that works on the basis of the right employee for the job, rather than nationality, so it is full of Poms, Scots, Paddies, Saffas, Kiwis, Zims - oh and the odd Aussie just for appearances! The wealth and depth of experience is great.

The ribbing between us all is dynamic and, if you are super sensitive, could be considered offensive, but it is all in good jest and if anything helps to bind the motley grew together.

I wonder if it would be the same if the GM was Australian who hadn't been around the world?

TD
Old Sep 17th 2011, 11:23 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, that is where you are wrong, the hole must be suitable for 'Australian conditions'

Originally Posted by Toe Dipper

Now being in construction, organising a hole to be dug and filled in is the same in Blighty, Australia or the bleeding moon.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

Nignoy is just really niceNignoy is just really niceNignoy is just really niceNignoy is just really niceNignoy is just really niceNignoy is just really niceNignoy is just really niceNignoy is just really nice
Smile Re: How many out of work?

All the afore mentioned hurdles ,face every immigrant, until 1999 my trade was not a recognised trade in australia,with english and german qualifications what could they sayso I was given the job but with a 25 year old australian female supervisor, by the way I am an experienced Zoo Curator and recognised expert in my field, the young lady in charge of me was the girlfriend of a comittee member here total experience , was 6 weeks volontary worl in the brisbane dogs home. So believe me I know all about pom bias and frustration as far as job satisfaction and the aussie pigheaded attitude to common sense. But I stand by my original statement, persevere give the buggers as good as you get, and performance and attitude will persevere.It worked for me, even Mr Crikey asked me to train some of his zoo keepers, pity he was such a clown himself
Old Sep 17th 2011, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

We know someone whos husband is a geology worker and flies in and out on a regular basis (used to), and the stories he as told us about how experience counts for bugger all - it's who you know.
He gave it all up became sick of all the flying around he now works in a office with other like minded people earning a crust under someone half there age with no real qualifications just a friend who got them in?
Old Sep 17th 2011, 1:06 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

So you worked at Australia Zoo ? I have heard so many stories of dodgy doings at that place. I have zero respect for that man, goodness knows where the hero worship comes from ?

Originally Posted by Nignoy
It worked for me, even Mr Crikey asked me to train some of his zoo keepers, pity he was such a clown himself

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.