Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How many hours do you work?

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: How many hours do you work?
UK - <35 hours per week
6.58%
UK - 35-39
23.68%
UK - 40-44
7.89%
UK - 45-49
9.21%
UK - 50+
13.16%
Oz - <35
1.32%
Oz - 35-39
13.16%
Oz - 40-44
7.89%
Oz - 45-49
2.63%
Oz - 50+
14.47%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

How many hours do you work?

Old May 18th 2004, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

I worked full time in the UK (37.5 hrs) with 25 days holiday per year.

Here I am now working 32.5 hrs per week, but am only a temp. I am hopefully going to be offered a permanent position shortly (with the same company) and my hours will then reduce to 25 hours per week, so that I can drop my daughter off at school and pick her up after school.

My partner is not currently working, he's doing the house husband thing (and a damn fine one at that), but is looking to do his heavy rigid and articulate driver tests shortly, then will be out looking for work.
In the UK he worked shift doing a 35 hr week. It looks like drivers over here do a much longer week, but the money looks much better here than it did in the UK.
Old May 18th 2004, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

We have a restaurant and hubby does 16 hour days from dooor to door. Leaves the house at 8 in the morning and usually getts home between 10 and 11 at night depending on how late people come in for a meal. We have now managed to get days off, so not feeling as knackered as we were when we started.
Wages - Money, bugger all at the moment, working for the pleasure of it as only been open for 18 weeks and still paying for all the start up costs.

whisky
Old May 18th 2004, 12:42 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by whisky
We have a restaurant and hubby does 16 hour days from dooor to door. Leaves the house at 8 in the morning and usually getts home between 10 and 11 at night depending on how late people come in for a meal. We have now managed to get days off, so not feeling as knackered as we were when we started.
Wages - Money, bugger all at the moment, working for the pleasure of it as only been open for 18 weeks and still paying for all the start up costs.

whisky
The joys of being self employed

Been there, got the T Shirt

Old May 18th 2004, 12:44 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How many hours do you work?

I do 371/2

I cant remember not leaving on time, although once a year I have to work a Sunday, unpaid.
Old May 18th 2004, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Yes ABC but we are very positive and the Bank account is still in the black. Good sign.

Whisky
Old May 18th 2004, 1:29 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by whisky
Yes ABC but we are very positive and the Bank account is still in the black. Good sign.

Whisky
I'm glad to hear that

It can be very hard at first, but it can also pay off in the long run Hope things keep going well for you

Old May 18th 2004, 1:48 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

I was employed in the UK to do 37.5h/w, with 24 days holiday.
Reality was that I was on 24h call, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year!
Glad I've put that behind me. Those 2am telephone calls, working from home till sunrise and then expected to go to work and put in a full day. Ha, stuffed them when I left!

Now I'm here and contracting, I can do as many or as few hours as I like. Just depends if I want to have a holiday or not.

In reality I do about the same 37.5h/w.

Well that's what I put on my timesheet.
Just forget to mention arrriving late, leaving early, 2 hour lunch breaks and Friday arvo in the pub.
And all the time spent on this site, brings it down to about 20h/w.
Old May 18th 2004, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

I'm contracted to do 37.5 but usually do about 40 but....... they have flexi time here!!! I nearly fell off my seat when they told me as I hadn't seen that in the UK for 10 years+

They asked my why I hadn't seen it in the contract. 'Cos I still haven't seen a contract!

Money, I guess I earn half what I did in the UK but it seems to be enough. A big plus is that the job is really interesting.

Lets just see if I still have a job tomorrow as I've taken a sick day today with a stinking cold.
Old May 18th 2004, 1:58 pm
rudo1ph

I voted for 50+ - Oz........I'm a full time mum

Old May 18th 2004, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

UK - about 40 hours, commute time about 12.5 per week

Singapore - over 60 hours, commute time 6 hours per week, but frequently sent abroad, always on overnight flights, then straight to work, which occassionally involved stints of 24-36 hours straight (not including the flights). It was a trifle wearing.

Aus - about 40 hours + on call for 80+ hours a week. Frequently woken at 4am to fix things. Commute time about 8 hours pw.

In Singapore I never felt work was far awway. My boss would call at ludicrous times, like 10pm on Saturday nogths to talk about work.

Here and in the Uk, apart from the on call stuff, I'm pretty much able to separate work from social.
Old May 18th 2004, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

Bella will become famous soon enough

Work part time in Oz 24 hours (3 days), full time working week for my Oz job is 40 hours compared with 37.5 in UK.
Also have to take on-call responsibilty regularly over & above these hours (I get paid for 'em, mind).
Old May 18th 2004, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

Bella will become famous soon enough

By the way, I walk to work 5 mins each way in Oz, in UK drove approx 40 mins each way.
Old May 18th 2004, 7:23 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Bella
By the way, I walk to work 5 mins each way in Oz, in UK drove approx 40 mins each way.

I work in Uk:

Mon - fri 5am - 7pm
Sat 5am to 2pm ( sometimes upto 10pm)

Im self employed, so can go awol when i please but... self motivation leads to employment so being self employed i do work the hrs.

Travel time to work about 3 mins mon - fri , office at one end of house.

Travel time to work Sat or perhaps sunday aswell is min 2 hrs as we travel uk working.

However i luv what i do, the pay is ok, boss is a wanqa , i dont get holiday money and i havent had a sicky in 20 + years

Steve
Old May 19th 2004, 5:36 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

So in summing up these results, some people work long hours, some people work less. Some people are in OZ and some in the UK and I forgot to include those not in either Cheers!

Last edited by wmoore; May 20th 2004 at 1:21 am.
Old May 19th 2004, 11:14 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by wmoore
So in summing up these results, some people work ling hours, some people work less. Some people are in OZ and some in the UK and I forgot to include those not in either Cheers!
After 43 votes:
8.00% - UK - <35 hours per week
32.00% - UK - 35-39
20.00% - UK - 40-44
12.00% - UK - 45-49
28.00% - UK - 50+
total 100% of UK

5.56% - Oz - <35
50.00% - Oz - 35-39
16.67% - Oz - 40-44
5.56% - Oz - 45-49
22.22% - Oz - 50+ (includes at least one mum that does more than 50hrs housework )
total 100% of OZ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.