Reload this Page >

How many get a job b4 going

How many get a job b4 going

Old Feb 22nd 2004, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough
Default How many get a job b4 going

Hi all

Just interested to know how many migrants have jobs to go to & if so how did they get them. There will obviously be people who are sponsored by companies - but more interested in those on skilled independent visas.

Of the people who had jobs to go to:

a) how did they get them? Agency or speculative application?

b) How long before you left did you start applying - did you modify you CV in any way?

c) How did you feel employees received your application (being a migrant)?

Any info would be gratefully received.

Am in the contracts manager field, building services & Air conditioning, anyone in the same boat? Trained as a plumber, so if all else fails could fall back on that - would I need a licence to do that?

Let me know your views.

Cheers

pockygoes
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 6:49 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough
Default Re: How many get a job b4 going

Originally posted by pockygoes
Hi all

Just interested to know how many migrants have jobs to go to & if so how did they get them. There will obviously be people who are sponsored by companies - but more interested in those on skilled independent visas.

b) How long before you left did you start applying - did you modify you CV in any way?

Am in the contracts manager field, building services & Air conditioning, anyone in the same boat? Trained as a plumber, so if all else fails could fall back on that - would I need a licence to do that?

Let me know your views.

Cheers

pockygoes

Where are you heading for?

We (or hubby) managed to get a job before we came to NZ - we wouldn't have been able to come otherwise - speculative CV emailing didn't produce anything - we met NPDC at the emigration fair at Snadown, give them our CV's - about 6 months later they contacted us with a job opportunity and here we are.

Generally we found the Catch 22 of no visa, no job, no job, no visa applied out here when contacting people cold - I think it is just a matter of hitting the right person at the right time.
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 7:37 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pollster
Where are you heading for?

We (or hubby) managed to get a job before we came to NZ - we wouldn't have been able to come otherwise - speculative CV emailing didn't produce anything - we met NPDC at the emigration fair at Snadown, give them our CV's - about 6 months later they contacted us with a job opportunity and here we are.

Generally we found the Catch 22 of no visa, no job, no job, no visa applied out here when contacting people cold - I think it is just a matter of hitting the right person at the right time.
Depends on the job you are in. I do not intend to work at all if I can avoid it but as I have been a registered Nurse for over 30 years I have registered in NSW and sent my CV round to several
employers.
They have all expressed an interest in meeting me when I go over to validate.
I find a direct approach rather than through an agency or advert is best.
My profession is in demand so I hold the cards to some extent.I would advise any Nurse with a lot of experience to do the same and negotiate.
Not sure about other other types of work though.

There is nothing lost by sending your CV by email.Make sure you take advice on how to write it as there seems to be a definite pro forma for Australian CVs.

Good luck

G
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 8:18 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I got mine through contacts.
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 8:35 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Grayling
Depends on the job you are in. I do not intend to work at all if I can avoid it but as I have been a registered Nurse for over 30 years I have registered in NSW and sent my CV round to several
employers.
They have all expressed an interest in meeting me when I go over to validate.
I find a direct approach rather than through an agency or advert is best.
My profession is in demand so I hold the cards to some extent.I would advise any Nurse with a lot of experience to do the same and negotiate.
Not sure about other other types of work though.

There is nothing lost by sending your CV by email.Make sure you take advice on how to write it as there seems to be a definite pro forma for Australian CVs.

Good luck

G
hi
i think it is one of the vry few perks to being a nurse....aus wants us !!!! Myself and several colleagues have all been offered jobs in large aussie hospitals on the strength of cvs and a phone interview or 2. although they usually give you a 3 month contract to start with, a lot just offer you the full 4 years/permanent without even getting references.
So any graduates out there, do the 2 years post grad course and you can then get your visa within 6 months of qualifying!!

and they have much nicer uniforms in aus....

sue
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 8:48 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
hi
i think it is one of the vry few perks to being a nurse....aus wants us !!!! Myself and several colleagues have all been offered jobs in large aussie hospitals on the strength of cvs and a phone interview or 2. although they usually give you a 3 month contract to start with, a lot just offer you the full 4 years/permanent without even getting references.
So any graduates out there, do the 2 years post grad course and you can then get your visa within 6 months of qualifying!!

and they have much nicer uniforms in aus....

sue
True Sue.
I don't wear a uniform tho' just casual and trainers

Are you sorted for a job?

Good luck

G
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 9:04 pm
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Let me know your views.

Cheers

pockygoes
hi pocky i am a paint sprayer here but would like a slight change when i get to oz! i have approached numerous paint manuafacturers and distributors in oz and have received numerous replies positive retorts!ie when will you arrive do you have to go to adelaide etc i think it is essential that you fire off emails containing your c.v phoning people etc to see if there are possible appointments waiting for you! who knows you may well organise a job for your arrival
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

thanks for your input everyone.

we are due to move to Perth at the end of december - when would you suggest that we starting sending CV's? We don't want to be in the position that we have a job offer & cannot go until then (we have to stay for sisters wedding in December). Mind you - if we ggot oofered something too good to turn down I guess we would have to take the plunge & coem back for the wedding - not so keen on that option as the cost would be high & also I do not think it would be a good thing coming back so soon - maybe a bit unsettling.

Any links to help with Oz CV writing anyone?

Cheers

pockygoes
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

kick it to the top - there are so many people posting today It was lost in all the other posts.

pockygoes
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just as I thought - nurses are in demand - and so they should be - is the pay better over there? They deserve all they get & more.

Come on everyone else - have any other trades managed to get jobs before they go.

cheers

pockygoes.
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 6:54 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Any links to help with Oz CV writing anyone?

Cheers

pockygoes
www.seek.com.au

They have lots of tips and stuff for resumes.

And someone mentioned the STAR methode once. Haven't got a link.

Good luck!!

We will be starting to look for jobs/making contacts soon(leaving in July). Not through agencies though(don't prefer them) just the direct approach. We'll see how we go. Don't think we'll have a chance actually getting a job, but networking is good too (Pascal has an old friend from school who's working as what he is in the area we are going too, found him on the net! And there are my friends who may have contacts, and friends of my parents who might.......)
Old Feb 24th 2004, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Simone

thanks for that - what is the STAR method when it is at home? Will go on the website though & see what that says.

Whereabouts in Perth are you going?

cheers pockygoes
Old Feb 24th 2004, 9:25 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Simone

thanks for that - what is the STAR method when it is at home? Will go on the website though & see what that says.

Whereabouts in Perth are you going?

cheers pockygoes
We are renting, and don't have kids, so doesn't matter. Whereever the jobs are!
And for Pascal, it seems that most advertising agencies are in Subiaco etc, so we will go pretty close to the CBD.
We are staying with a friend the first few weeks in Padbury, and then we'll see! Price is the most important factor for us! Don't even like the beach!

Ok, found more on STAR (not sure what you mean by 'when it is at home?' )
S = situation
T = task
A = Activity
R = Result.

I think it is mostly used to answer to the selection criteria they ask for.
Check out this link about how the star should be used, it's an IT company aparently, but has useful pointers (haven't looked at it myself yet though, the link was given on a dutch forum)
http://www.citec.qld.gov.au/aboutCit...s/docs/vac.pdf

Somebody also mentioned www.jobsearch.gov.au (or com.au)
Old Feb 24th 2004, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

scitta is an unknown quantity at this point

Come on everyone else - have any other trades managed to get jobs before they go.

Hello Pockygoes,

Useful thread, specially for those who still have to make the move. Would love to know how the job scene is in Perth/Melbourne?

Also wonder if Office Administration/Secretarial/etc. jobs are easy to get once in the country? Or is the "not what you know" but "who you know" scene?

Sarah
Old Feb 24th 2004, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

thanks simone

Sorry " when it is at home" is an English phrase - basically means "what the hell is it"!!! Did not mean to confuse you.

Thanks for the links - will get straight onto it.

cheers

pockygoes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.