Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How Many Get A Confirmed Job Before Arriving

How Many Get A Confirmed Job Before Arriving

Old Apr 27th 2008, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

abertawe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How Many Get A Confirmed Job Before Arriving

I have contacted a couple of recruitment agencies re: work in my industry. It appears that it will be difficult to get a confirmed job before arriving because the employers want to interview directly even for contract work.

How many people on the forum had a job confirmed or not before they arrived.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

MrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant future
Default Re: How Many Get A Confirmed Job Before Arriving

Originally Posted by abertawe
I have contacted a couple of recruitment agencies re: work in my industry. It appears that it will be difficult to get a confirmed job before arriving because the employers want to interview directly even for contract work.

bore da, sut wyt ti? When i was in melbourne they offerd me to stay, but i declined as i still had a lot of the place, to see. I been offerd priority interviews and stuff, but tbh asnd depending on your profession there are a wealth of jobs just waiting to be filled. I searched Gas Fitters/Plumbers on http://www.seek.com.au

and found plenty to apply for.... what part fo sunny swansea are you in?

we leave in 12 months cant wait
Old Apr 27th 2008, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

Lee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud of

Hi there,
I applied for about ten jobs on seek just to give me an idea about the job situation in Auz. I never really thought that I would get any of jobs, After a couple of day the emails started coming back and I had very good response.
I had a telephone interview with one company and the offered me the job, they have waited a year for me to get there. Four other company’s were also very interested and wanted me to contact them once arrived and five did not reply at all.
Lee
Old Apr 27th 2008, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

rocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to behold

I emailed tyco in Australia 4 months back, telling them of my intensions to find employment and to find out what the work situation is like at the moment, and here is there response.
I will be emailing other companies late May early June, as hopefully I should get my visa around July.

Ron

Whilst I am impressed with your resume and can see that you would be an asset to any fire company, at this time I can not guarantee you a position within Wormald will be available in the time frame you are proposing. That is not to say circumstances may be different come May. Please note that any opportunities for employment would be conditional upon you obtaining relevant local qualifications and licenses (i.e. BSA License, Local Sprinkler Fitter and Plumbing License, and Occupational License).

My Cairns manager is presently looking to fill a vacancy and if he succeeds, it is unlikely we will need another fitter in the foreseeable future.

Our Townsville branch has only just put on a fitter during the first week in February with the aim of developing this area of our business. Our need for additional fitters will be dependant on how quickly we grow and our success with a number of maintenance and installation tenders. Over the coming two to three years we are poised for significant expansion of this branch.

There may be opportunities in one of my other branches further south in Gladstone where there is a great deal of private and government investment in building infrastructure to better support the Central Queensland Coal industry.

From a regional perspective, I am considering options to create a new regional role working out of our Townsville Branch. This would be a role that evolves over time. The person would be required to:

- Initially work on the tools as required – Maintenance, installation and repair works.

- Understand and apply the requirements of Australian Standard 1851-2005

- Be capable of estimating/designing to Australian Standards and Building Code

- Be prepared to travel and work away from home when necessary

- Provide Design and estimating support to the six regional branches throughout Central and North Queensland (i.e Everything north of Maryborough)

- Be capable of helping to develop and grow the business

- Be capable of building and leading/supervising a team

The role I have described above exists as a concept in my mind only and would only be offered to a candidate once we were confident they could fill the role – i.e. the person would first need to prove themselves.

I would urge you to keep my contact details and check with us again closer to the time you are intending to move to Queensland.

Peter Eggins

NQ Regional Manager

Tyco Fire & Security Australia/New Zealand

Wormald
46 Hugh Ryan Drive

Garbutt, QLD

Australia 4814

Last edited by rocket01; Apr 27th 2008 at 8:52 am.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

There are lots of us with jobs to go to - mainly those like me going on 457 visas, where we have found a job and the company is sponsering.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

scrappyhappy8 is a jewel in the roughscrappyhappy8 is a jewel in the roughscrappyhappy8 is a jewel in the roughscrappyhappy8 is a jewel in the roughscrappyhappy8 is a jewel in the rough

Hi
I am a carpenter/ Joiner and went on the Australian yellow pages and got a list of 18 companies and wrote letters to them all. Did not bother with emails as it`s too easy to delete the emails so decided on the good old fashioned way of applying. Posted all the letters with my email address , and within a few weeks I had 3 returned letters saying they were interested when i get there and one offering me a confirmed sponsorship. Guess which I took.