Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

how many brickies are on here.

how many brickies are on here.

Old Aug 17th 2006, 1:50 am
Forum Regular

kaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: how many brickies are on here.

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
i. People do need to forget pounds and dollars and look at things in real terms.

ii. I think a lot of people (professionals) do know they will earn less. It was the first thing I checked. I personally (real terms) earn more than I did in the UK, the industry max is less than the UK but I can more easily earn enough like with like. Infact, taken into account other factors, I am better off here.

iii. But a lot of tradies need to know that they may need to cross-skill or start new businesses.Any brickies doing OK over here?
We stopped converting the minute we started earning here. Simple fact is in real terms that before we came, we had several holidays every year at least one of which was always to Florida, we enjoyed meals out, we had two nice cars, could buy whatever we wanted from the supermarkets, could shop for clothes, shoes, make up, treat the kids etc. etc. and still have money to save. Here we stay in all the time except to go to the beach or walks or anything we can think of thats free, buy the cheapest brands of stuff at the supermarket, can't afford to even holiday in this country let alone go overseas. Good job we stocked up on clothes, shoes and make-up and other stuff before we came because we certainly can't afford to buy any here. The prices of goods are not expensive, it's just that wages are so low if you are not a professional. So in real terms we just don't have the same lifestyle at all - it's not the same for everyone by any means but for us and it seems for a lot of other trades people, we are far worse off here financially.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 1:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kaiajo
We stopped converting the minute we started earning here. Simple fact is in real terms that before we came, we had several holidays every year at least one of which was always to Florida, we enjoyed meals out, we had two nice cars, could buy whatever we wanted from the supermarkets, could shop for clothes, shoes, make up, treat the kids etc. etc. and still have money to save. Here we stay in all the time except to go to the beach or walks or anything we can think of thats free, buy the cheapest brands of stuff at the supermarket, can't afford to even holiday in this country let alone go overseas. Good job we stocked up on clothes, shoes and make-up and other stuff before we came because we certainly can't afford to buy any here. The prices of goods are not expensive, it's just that wages are so low if you are not a professional. So in real terms we just don't have the same lifestyle at all - it's not the same for everyone by any means but for us and it seems for a lot of other trades people, we are far worse off here financially.
I can well believe it. Seems to me, you have to be careful about what trade you wish to ply when you get here, and/or how you operate in it.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 2:01 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

So the TRA stinks. Issue No.1. If you had recent brickie experience, would that have changed things for you? Are you, in fact, better of as a tiler, don't you have your own business?)
It's not the fault of the TRA it's down to some spotty faced delinquent at the D.E.T Department of education & training. You know what it's like if you don't get the ticks in all the right places there's no room for flexibility. The licence criteria for bricklaying asked for 5 years recent experience they expect that to be full time on the trowel, I didn't earn a living like that as I was a jobbing builder that did grants, improvements, renovation work & insurance work etc. The guy actually did me a big favour in the long run as I'd never have survived the summer here as a brickie. I look at the guys outside on the trowel and they look like shit all burned and wrinkled with the sun, like someone else said 40 yr old brickies look like 60 yr olds. Most have huge scars from having cancers cut out, granted they didn't know what we know now about protection from the sun but it's still a harsh image.
I'm way better of as a tiler, I spend most of my time inside so I'm out of the burning heat of the sun, sure it's hot as hell and humid in summer but being inside makes the heat far easier to deal with. I'm not all sticky with sunscreen & insect repellent for one thing.
I had to get a licence to even get a start working for someone so after going through months of hassles to get one there was no way I was letting someone else reap the rewards. It is a risk, I'm liable for defective work by anyone I employ. I'm also liable for any defective tiles that manufacturers knock out to the discount tile stores, that really sucks as they make them and sell them [very cheap] knowing they're defective yet having no legal responsibility in regards to subsequent claims. I have to stand any loss of income, if builders go bust my blokes still get paid.
It probably sounds discouraging to any prospective migrant reading this yet looking at it from my point of view I came knowing no one and having no network of builders yet in 3 yrs Deb & I have managed to overcome everything that's been thrust upon us, somewhat unexpectedly. We've built not only a new home and furnished it but also a reasonable business. It can be done it just takes a lot of hard work [7 days a week the first year] and some good luck.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 3:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
It's not the fault of the TRA it's down to some spotty faced delinquent at the D.E.T Department of education & training. You know what it's like if you don't get the ticks in all the right places there's no room for flexibility. The licence criteria for bricklaying asked for 5 years recent experience they expect that to be full time on the trowel, I didn't earn a living like that as I was a jobbing builder that did grants, improvements, renovation work & insurance work etc. The guy actually did me a big favour in the long run as I'd never have survived the summer here as a brickie. I look at the guys outside on the trowel and they look like shit all burned and wrinkled with the sun, like someone else said 40 yr old brickies look like 60 yr olds. Most have huge scars from having cancers cut out, granted they didn't know what we know now about protection from the sun but it's still a harsh image.
I'm way better of as a tiler, I spend most of my time inside so I'm out of the burning heat of the sun, sure it's hot as hell and humid in summer but being inside makes the heat far easier to deal with. I'm not all sticky with sunscreen & insect repellent for one thing.
I had to get a licence to even get a start working for someone so after going through months of hassles to get one there was no way I was letting someone else reap the rewards. It is a risk, I'm liable for defective work by anyone I employ. I'm also liable for any defective tiles that manufacturers knock out to the discount tile stores, that really sucks as they make them and sell them [very cheap] knowing they're defective yet having no legal responsibility in regards to subsequent claims. I have to stand any loss of income, if builders go bust my blokes still get paid.
It probably sounds discouraging to any prospective migrant reading this yet looking at it from my point of view I came knowing no one and having no network of builders yet in 3 yrs Deb & I have managed to overcome everything that's been thrust upon us, somewhat unexpectedly. We've built not only a new home and furnished it but also a reasonable business. It can be done it just takes a lot of hard work [7 days a week the first year] and some good luck.
Thanks mate. Sounds like you did get over that hurdle.

As it happens I know a tiler who started out after being a banker - all fairly recent. Clearly he does not have the quals or experience you have.

He was a paid bod, now he works for himself (this last year or so) and pays wages to staff (mates) - now he pays by the area the bods do. I'm going to ask him what trade certificates he got here in VIC to essentially go the same route as yourself and report back.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

kaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to behold

I can well believe it. Seems to me, you have to be careful about what trade you wish to ply when you get here, and/or how you operate in it.
Think I may have to try plying a new trade around St Kilda in the evenings maybe
Old Aug 17th 2006, 6:27 am
DAMN.........I'M GOOD

BRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kaiajo
Think I may have to try plying a new trade around St Kilda in the evenings maybe
Oi !!!

Ya can gerroff me wifes patch !!!
Old Aug 17th 2006, 7:15 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BRICKY ADE
Oi !!!

Ya can gerroff me wifes patch !!!
Exactly! Some of us have a living to make
Old Aug 17th 2006, 7:51 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ashers
I'm not saying people should be dishonest, I'm talking about the constant negativity that some posters tend to be themed towards.

Most of this isn't to help would be migrants, it's to let of steam for their own benefit.

I've lived in Oz, loved every minute, and can't wait to go back. While I was there though, I never fully understood their labelling of British as 'whinging Poms.' Until now.
Ashers or whoever you are, I'm not here to help would be migrants I'm here to discuss Australian lifestyle and culture.

Can't wait to get back to Australia? well good for you. Let's see you continue to post here and tell everyone how you feel when your rose tints fall off and you have to deal with the harsh realities of life in Oz.

Like AWAs, the crappy health and education systems, stabbed neighbours, McMasions in legoland, stoned teenagers in V8 jallopys.

Perhaps when you've walked the walk then we'll give your opinions more credence but until then you're just another naive "rose tinter" spouting crap, a hopeless dreamer. Or maybe just a troll.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

canifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by butch&shell
i agree about 60 plus brickies are you in oz or uk ?
I am currently in Yorkshire. Most of my work is North Yorkshire where the rain and snow in winter is horizontal, and consequently lost work days can be many.
Have worked in Spain so I know what it is like to work in the heat.
I have been to Perth several times and also know how hot it can get their. Have read on here so many complaints about the cold in winter and must say I never find it that cold, although I suppose it depends on what your used to.
P.S. When I first visited Perth 10 years ago (December- January) It was 40C+ and like many people assumed that winter would still be hot. I was pleased to find that there is seasons.
Visited this April and had a great time most days on the beach.
Anyway I must rush, plane to catch, I'm off to do a job in Marbella.

All the best,
Bob
Old Aug 17th 2006, 10:02 am
Banned

Ashers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by renth
Ashers or whoever you are, I'm not here to help would be migrants I'm here to discuss Australian lifestyle and culture.

Can't wait to get back to Australia? well good for you. Let's see you continue to post here and tell everyone how you feel when your rose tints fall off and you have to deal with the harsh realities of life in Oz.

Like AWAs, the crappy health and education systems, stabbed neighbours, McMasions in legoland, stoned teenagers in V8 jallopys.

Perhaps when you've walked the walk then we'll give your opinions more credence but until then you're just another naive "rose tinter" spouting crap, a hopeless dreamer. Or maybe just a troll.
Took your time. The grog taking hold now is it?

Another, 'you'll see when you get here' post. In case you haven't fully digested everything on this thread, let me make something a little clearer for you.

I'VE LIVED & WORKED IN PERTH!!!! (And in other Australian cities).

So the rose tinted specs you mention are probably at the gutter end of your miserable life, gathering dust over the last 5 years.

Be honest, you're p*ssed at the house prices, because you're renting, and bitter at the loss of capital growth. Tens of thousands of pounds down the sh*t pan in rent. I would be too.

Crime? Have a look and compare your area from when you arrived. Ocean Reef's figures, like many others have plummeted.

We found the health system much better than the NHS. My wife was put straight onto a screening program for ovarian cancer when the quack heard her Mum had died of the disease at 42. We could see a doctor much quicker than in England and the local hospital was cleaner and better staffed than the cr@p here.

Again you're fighting a losing battle. Don't you remember the NHS?

You've even apportioned your sad demise to the Perth weather!! The sunniest city in Australia, average winter highs of 19C, a city that is always in colour but still benefits from seasonal changes.

So I've "walked the walk," as you say and yes can't wait to get back to Perth.

Hopefully before I arrive, you'll have fcked off and left the "cr*ppy health and education systems, stabbed neighbours, McMasions in legoland, stoned teenagers in V8 jallopys."

After all, why else would anyone want to look a tw@t by constantly whinging, and posting cr@p about the place they've decided to call home, but staying there anyway?.

Last edited by Pollyana; Aug 17th 2006 at 10:14 am. Reason: language
Old Aug 17th 2006, 10:48 am
Just Joined

OZSpur will become famous soon enoughOZSpur will become famous soon enough

Been here 9 months now working on the trowel, 1st gang I started with were ok, but any excuse for an early day and you were sent home. And of course getting paid by the hour you notice it at the end of the week. I have done 6 full weeks work since I've been here, alright i get to spend plenty of time with the family but I've never been so boraccic in all my life! At home I was well respected, always flush with cash, turning jobs down if they werent to my fancy and didnt mind getting rained off for a day or two cos I could afford it. Here it is like going back 15yrs for me, site safety, macho dick head attitudes of the blokes and one half hour break a day! Yet still working in the hottest part of it, wheres the sense in that? I hate getting up at 5am every day for work and am actively seeking employment elsewhere, favourite at the moment is doing some lorry driving on permanent nights, hardly what I came here for. OK I'm having a good old moan but I would go back to London tomorrow, but with a pregnant wife and promising her and the kids we would give it a go for 2 years, I've got to stick it out for the next 15months, but in all honesty if things do not change soon then I hope to be home for xmas and be out laying bricks in the cold with some decent fellas. I dream of putting frostproofer in me mud (mud? what aussie prat dreamt that one up anyway?) The standard of workmanship here is appalling and I haven't met one bloke who I would employ back home, it says it all that they wash down their walls straight after being built with acid!!!!! Say no more!
Old Aug 17th 2006, 11:23 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

So, having fed the latest multiple identity troll to a passing Billy Goat Gruff, its good to see the thread getting back on track......
Old Aug 17th 2006, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by OZSpur
Been here 9 months now working on the trowel, 1st gang I started with were ok, but any excuse for an early day and you were sent home. And of course getting paid by the hour you notice it at the end of the week. I have done 6 full weeks work since I've been here, alright i get to spend plenty of time with the family but I've never been so boraccic in all my life! At home I was well respected, always flush with cash, turning jobs down if they werent to my fancy and didnt mind getting rained off for a day or two cos I could afford it. Here it is like going back 15yrs for me, site safety, macho dick head attitudes of the blokes and one half hour break a day! Yet still working in the hottest part of it, wheres the sense in that? I hate getting up at 5am every day for work and am actively seeking employment elsewhere, favourite at the moment is doing some lorry driving on permanent nights, hardly what I came here for. OK I'm having a good old moan but I would go back to London tomorrow, but with a pregnant wife and promising her and the kids we would give it a go for 2 years, I've got to stick it out for the next 15months, but in all honesty if things do not change soon then I hope to be home for xmas and be out laying bricks in the cold with some decent fellas. I dream of putting frostproofer in me mud (mud? what aussie prat dreamt that one up anyway?) The standard of workmanship here is appalling and I haven't met one bloke who I would employ back home, it says it all that they wash down their walls straight after being built with acid!!!!! Say no more!
I've just shown your post to my hubbie as it is virtually word for word what he has told me about the sites that he's worked on down here in Melbourne - long hours, poor pay, health & safety a joke - he has found two decent brickies to work with though - both British lads . Think we'll be joining you on the plane in December!
Old Aug 17th 2006, 2:57 pm
My Harris!!

Originally Posted by Pollyana
So, having fed the latest multiple identity troll to a passing Billy Goat Gruff, its good to see the thread getting back on track......
The funniest thing is, not only do I always slip under your radar, I actually manage to draw dim *** like Cresta into heated debate!!

Until next time........

Last edited by Pollyana; Aug 17th 2006 at 3:01 pm. Reason: language

Old Aug 17th 2006, 3:58 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by My Harris!!
The funniest thing is, not only do I always slip under your radar, I actually manage to draw dim *** like Cresta into heated debate!!

Until next time........
Whatever floats your boat Lewis
It's your time your wasting, I initially only banned you for a week, after a couple of warnings, for a personal insult, you could have accepted it as plenty of others have. You chose instead to create multiple accounts and start some kind of vendetta. I'm quite happy for all your posts to stay, from now on I'll not delete any. BE users can then see you for what you are and ignore you accordingly. Your not the first serial troll you won't be the last.
Until next time

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.