Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

how many brickies are on here.

how many brickies are on here.

Old Aug 16th 2006, 8:21 am
Banned

Ashers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: how many brickies are on here.

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Could the shortage be that australians simply are not going to look at bricklaying as the career of choice for themselves or their children, given most aussies know doing that job in this climate would be a crappy way of life, and like some other careers that were the top of the skills list are very badly paid. Hairdressing was up there, award wage about $540 gross.
Possibly, but are you moving to Australia for career progression, or are you moving for other benefits the country has to offer - weather, infrastructure, tighter immigration, healthier lifestyle etc.

In general, wages are still lower in most parts of Australia, but still floods of migrants are leaving the U.K. Don't you think they're fully aware they could be earning less money, but are going more for the reasons I've just mentioned? I know we are.

As for Hairdressers, this profession generally doesn't demand a great salary anywhere.
Old Aug 16th 2006, 8:25 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ashers
Possibly, but are you moving to Australia for career progression, or are you moving for other benefits the country has to offer - weather, infrastructure, tighter immigration, healthier lifestyle etc.

In general, wages are still lower in most parts of Australia, but still floods of migrants are leaving the U.K. Don't you think they're fully aware they could be earning less money, but are going more for the reasons I've just mentioned? I know we are.

As for Hairdressers, this profession generally doesn't demand a great salary anywhere.
I think its obvious - from this thread as well as from many others - that a lot of people aren't aware that they will be earning less, or that many of them will be taking backwards steps careerwise.
Old Aug 16th 2006, 8:40 am
Banned

Ashers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
And I'm sure I could quote just as much positivity, if you are talking about posts by such as Renth.
Positivity, yes, but not about life in Oz, which is where much of his negativity is aimed.

What you - and many other posters - need to realise is that posters such a Renth have lived here and experienced day to day life here for a few years, and as such we post REALISTIC posts.
So have I, lived and worked there. Not to far from Renth as it happens.

Your definition of realisitic (together with your fellow moderator that you've decided to gang up with) obviously differs from mine.

There is a difference between these and the outright negative posts of PB and MS. This is nothing to do with defending friends. Its just to do with providing a balance. Longterm residents like Renth, Cresta, Jad n Rich - they are telling it AS IT IS. No rosy specs, no black depression. Just reality.
Cresta, Jad n Rich maybe. Renth PB and MS I'm afraid not. And the trouble you all have here as you defend your friend is that it's all here in black and white, and irrefutable.

Theres room for all three on here - negativity, positivity and realism. Prospective migrants need to read the lot to give them a view of what life is like here. Even then, they will never truly know what life here is like until they get here, as every individuals experiences will be different

On a personal note, I wish more people had been posting realistically when i first came here, I was fairly realistic, but I do admit now that a bigger dose of "what its really like" would have been good. Wouldn't have stopped me coming, but mught have left me more prepared and thus feeling less bitter now.
I'm with you on this one, and anyone who hasn't seriously done their homework needs their heads reading.

That homework can involve coming onto helpful, informative forums such as this, to read people's experiences and opinions. And so to reiterate my point, members who post constant negativity, which is often misleading, do so recklessly, and for their own benefit.
Old Aug 16th 2006, 10:33 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ashers

And the trouble you all have here as you defend your friend is that it's all here in black and white, and irrefutable.
The one thing you miss is that I'm not defending anyone as a "friend" - merely suggesting that the posts here are realistic, not negative.

Everyone's experiences are different after all, and some people's reality is happier and more successful than others.
Old Aug 16th 2006, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

canifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wombat
Im not a negative poster either, i hardly ever post on here but i just wanted to reply to this thread to let people really know what its like being a brickie in Queensland.
we actually love everything about living here except the work situation and we have no plans of ever returning to England to live. We have been here over 2 years now and feel that this is home
Just to say I too am a bricklayer and as many British brickies will know the cold and wet of Britain soon wears your body down. You won't find many soon to retire 60+ year old brickies on sites.
Would say that I personally prefer working in the heat to the cold and windy rain.
It seems to me that people should stop saying "I earned £? in Britain,and in Aus I only earn £?".
P.S. Good things about being a brickie :

1. Can build a house for your family.
2. ?????

Old Aug 16th 2006, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

butch&shell is a jewel in the roughbutch&shell is a jewel in the roughbutch&shell is a jewel in the roughbutch&shell is a jewel in the roughbutch&shell is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by canifixit
Just to say I too am a bricklayer and as many British brickies will know the cold and wet of Britain soon wears your body down. You won't find many soon to retire 60+ year old brickies on sites.
Would say that I personally prefer working in the heat to the cold and windy rain.
It seems to me that people should stop saying "I earned £? in Britain,and in Aus I only earn £?".

2. ?????

i agree about 60 plus brickies are you in oz or uk ?
Old Aug 16th 2006, 8:52 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canifixit

2. ?????

2 Build a house for investment
Old Aug 16th 2006, 9:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Different in OZ too, brickie can lay the bricks on his house but he wouldnt be licenced to do much else. He would need a licenced builder, a licenced, plumber, a licenced electrician, a licenced chippie, a licenced waterproofer, a licenced tiler........ get the drift.

Had to laugh at the brickies at 60, here you would push to find any over 35/40 mind you they do look 60
Old Aug 16th 2006, 9:26 pm
DAMN.........I'M GOOD

BRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond repute

Had to laugh at the brickies at 60, here you would push to find any over 35/40 mind you they do look 60 [/QUOTE]

Thanx ya twat !!!
Old Aug 16th 2006, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

kaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to behold

My hubbie has been a brickie for 20+ years and has worked in both UK and Australia. He says that there is only one incentive to spending your days working like a dog. Money. Unfortunately you can't make a decent amount of it here in Oz which is why he can't wait to get back to the rotten UK winters. At least we'll have enough of it to pay the bills and feed the family.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 12:05 am
BE Enthusiast

clougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

We are in Perth and my husband is a brickie. The average daily rate is $250 and if you work per brick it's $1 per brick. It is hard in the summer as the flies are unbearable and he starts at 6.30 and only has 30mins max break all day. He takes 5 litres of water and drinks it all and by the time he gets home the last thing he wants to do is be outside by the pool when he's been out in the sun all day, so not really any family time in the week. Also, he's so knackered that he's normally in bed by 8pm or else asleep on the sofa. It's not so bad now in the winter except that in the last week he's had 2 days off because of the rain, so no money and at Christmas he had to have 4 weeks off, so no money either. It's not that bad, but it's not that good either. We've only got a small mortgage and I am working part time too at the moment, but we're still always skint! He works 6 days per week too!

Jo
Old Aug 17th 2006, 12:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clougherty family
Hi,

We are in Perth and my husband is a brickie. The average daily rate is $250 and if you work per brick it's $1 per brick. It is hard in the summer as the flies are unbearable and he starts at 6.30 and only has 30mins max break all day. He takes 5 litres of water and drinks it all and by the time he gets home the last thing he wants to do is be outside by the pool when he's been out in the sun all day, so not really any family time in the week. Also, he's so knackered that he's normally in bed by 8pm or else asleep on the sofa. It's not so bad now in the winter except that in the last week he's had 2 days off because of the rain, so no money and at Christmas he had to have 4 weeks off, so no money either. It's not that bad, but it's not that good either. We've only got a small mortgage and I am working part time too at the moment, but we're still always skint! He works 6 days per week too!

Jo
i. People do need to forget pounds and dollars and look at things in real terms.

ii. I think a lot of people (professionals) do know they will earn less. It was the first thing I checked. I personally (real terms) earn more than I did in the UK, the industry max is less than the UK but I can more easily earn enough like with like. Infact, taken into account other factors, I am better off here.

iii. But a lot of tradies need to know that they may need to cross-skill or start new businesses.Any brickies doing OK over here?
Old Aug 17th 2006, 12:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
When I first found the forum I remember reading posts by long time posters shall I name them?
O.K posters like Dotty, Ceri even PB. I remember them posting that the picture we were being sold was not an entirely accurate one. Sure there were some posters painting a much nicer image, human nature makes us want to believe the good things.
I submitted my TRA as a brickie the trade I served an apprenticeship in, a year down the track I arrive here in QLD armed with my list of qualifications City & Guilds, Skills test and loads of other courses from damp proof installation to driving M.E.W.P's. I head off to get a job only to be told "sorry mate you need a licence" I'd passed the TRA and though no problem I'll nip and get one. A couple of hours research on the internet down at the library, I find out the people I need to contact. A phone call to the DET at Maryboro' saw me booked in for an appointment the following day. I walked in presented my paperwork and the guy just stared at me as if I was an alien. After a few moments he says I'm insufficiently qualified for a licence as a bricklayer. Now bear in mind I'd passed the TRA I asked why? The guy states that there in my reference it clearly states that for the last X amount of years I'd been subbed out by my employer to the local authority and was in charge of a gang of blokes renovating bathrooms. It went on to describe the actual work done and in his opinion as I'd been tiling for the majority of that time and only bricking up the occasional window or doorway I had not got the required number of years recent experience.
That began a 9 month nightmare to obtain a licence as a tiler, a trade that in his opinion I was more qualified for. Not one thread had been posted regarding licencing, I just assumed I could walk onto a site with my tool bucket and get a job same as the U.K. I remember hearing it was a dollar a brick and thinking I was going to be rich. Do a search, my posts are out there and read just like some of the optimistic ones on this thread. When I arrived sure the main contractor was paid a dollar a brick out of that he bought the sand and cement paid his super, paid his public liability insurance, paid his workers comp and finally paid his blokes, at the time it was about $25 bucks an hour for that you work like a dog or your down the road. You need to think carefully about where you want to live as not all states require a licence. Good money can be made there's no denying that, you have to ask is it worth risking everything in the event of litigation? If your prepared to take the gamble then you can reap the rewards.
So the TRA stinks. Issue No.1. If you had recent brickie experience, would that have changed things for you? Are you, in fact, better of as a tiler, don't you have your own business?)
Old Aug 17th 2006, 1:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BRICKY ADE
Had to laugh at the brickies at 60, here you would push to find any over 35/40 mind you they do look 60

Thanx ya twat !!! [/QUOTE]

Was refering to what the harsh climate does to outside workers here, not you personally.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 1:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
i. People do need to forget pounds and dollars and look at things in real terms.

ii. I think a lot of people (professionals) do know they will earn less. It was the first thing I checked. I personally (real terms) earn more than I did in the UK, the industry max is less than the UK but I can more easily earn enough like with like. Infact, taken into account other factors, I am better off here.

iii. But a lot of tradies need to know that they may need to cross-skill or start new businesses.Any brickies doing OK over here?

Your busiest housing market is perth, even there they are saying around $250 a day, so after tax its like people say, what 800/900 bucks a week , its not going to fund a thomas pink lifestyle is it.

People who do OK out of trades are the long established guys with loads of contacts/reputation/licences/insurances who are willing to take the risk and employ the tradies, not the guys swinging the hammer or trowel. Theres a lot of liablility, most jobs hold a retention our of your contract price.

As the market slows with interest rate rises, jobs slow, more contractors bidding prices come down, its probably not the best time to start as a newbie and plan to make a fortune.

Last edited by jad n rich; Aug 17th 2006 at 1:41 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.