Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

how many $$ do you need to live in perth pcm?

Wikiposts

how many $$ do you need to live in perth pcm?

Old Mar 11th 2011, 3:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how many $$ do you need to live in perth pcm?

Originally Posted by northernbird
I should go to the markets for my fruit and veg. I am a lazy shopper! We don't have Aldi in Perth so can't take that option. We also don't buy many processed foods, I cook all our food from scratch and we drink water and milk only. Fizzy drinks send my children mental! I look at my shopping receipt and wonder how the hell I managed to spend that. I have 4 packed lunches per day and I don't shop in between, no trips to IGA for forgotten stuff. Maybe I will try the markets soon, although I am working full time till Easter so it will have to wait until then. I haven't got time to fart right now let alone shop around.
NB, it's amazing I'd imagine what you can save by sticking to water and milk.

My wife long observed the practise of watering down her juice long before kids were in the mix. Then a few years ago, she stopped buying it. Noone noticed!

We never carry coke etc in the house for the kids but I have a buckshee bottle for spirits hidden away. Coke, Tonic Water.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 3:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HUP
It can be done. I spend about $170-$200 for a family of 5. That involves going to

1) Fruit and veg shop
2) Butcher
3) Aldi
4) Big W (Cans tend to be cheaper there)
5) Woolworths

Yes its more work but it can certainly save you. I don't by much processed food as I enjoy cooking.

This weeks totals

Aldi 0 $74.67
Big W $32.28
Woolworths $57.66
Good for you HUP. Let's see you rival ABC.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

benedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to all

thank you for all your help, and time. rent seems OK but food and bills seem to be very expensive, I'm a builder, and people have said i could earn about $250 $300 a day the wife could work in the evening, one or two night, that's what we do here, she works with the disabled, (much work for that around?)do you think we could have a nice life on that? ( 2 kids) PS we are in the pros and con stage of moving at the mo, and the biggest con is work and expenses. we need lots of pros! thanks.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 7:38 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by benedict1843
thank you for all your help, and time. rent seems OK but food and bills seem to be very expensive, I'm a builder, and people have said i could earn about $250 $300 a day the wife could work in the evening, one or two night, that's what we do here, she works with the disabled, (much work for that around?)do you think we could have a nice life on that? ( 2 kids) PS we are in the pros and con stage of moving at the mo, and the biggest con is work and expenses. we need lots of pros! thanks.
To work with the disabled your wife will need to pass at least a Cert III in Disability Services at TAFE. She will then be expected to volunteer for anything up to 100 hours, then she might get something part time... and the money will be rubbish as well.
My wife did/does exactly that.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I would say that on $250 - 300 a day you are not going to be better off. Especially if you dont have significant funds that you can bring with you towards buying your own place sometime in the future.
In fact, and others will probably flame me here, but i often wonder what the big attraction is with comming here. A lot seem to come over, live in the burbs and actually be financialy worse off than they were. All for a "better" climate it often seems. Though that is debateable. The great sunshine is not so great when its 40c and all you want is to spend the day in the air con and nights wishing you could get some sleep.
I can understand it when a lot of people came here when housing was cheap and the big house near the beach with a pool could be had for the price of a terrace in the UK. But now, most come here and end up with a single story burb house that is built to only last 17 years - not even the legnth of the mortgage and seem to think there some how better off, when in reality there not.
I think what i am trying to say is be very clear on what Australia is going to offer you that you dont already have. We have the same problems and issues as a country that you do. A constant round of idiots in parliment, crime, immigration (which makes me laugh), drugs, healthcare issues, etc.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

benedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to all

thats what we needed, someone to say it as it is very expensive. it looks like you need to earn a hell of a lot to be comfortable. dont wont to move and struggle for the rest of our lives. only looked at perth, but is it pretty much the same all over oz?
Old Mar 11th 2011, 8:55 pm
Account Closed

thats what we needed, someone to say it as it is very expensive. it looks like you need to earn a hell of a lot to be comfortable. dont wont to move and struggle for the rest of our lives. only looked at perth, but is it pretty much the same all over oz?
I don't know Perth, I'm over the other side of Oz, but nowhere is 'cheap' anymore. Housing costs are extreme if you want to buy your own place and food does seem particularly expensive, noticeably more so, to my eyes, in the five years I've been here.
$300 a week for a family of four seems about an average grocery bill. People will come on tell you that you can do it cheaper by shopping here, there and everywhere but personally that's not my experience. Not all parts of Oz have the, almost mythical, 'farmers' markets where folks claim you can buy brilliant fruit and veg for almost nothing. We have fruit and veg shops and the 'cheap' stuff they sell is cheap for a reason.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 10:19 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I don't know Perth, I'm over the other side of Oz, but nowhere is 'cheap' anymore. Housing costs are extreme if you want to buy your own place and food does seem particularly expensive, noticeably more so, to my eyes, in the five years I've been here.
$300 a week for a family of four seems about an average grocery bill. People will come on tell you that you can do it cheaper by shopping here, there and everywhere but personally that's not my experience. Not all parts of Oz have the, almost mythical, 'farmers' markets where folks claim you can buy brilliant fruit and veg for almost nothing. We have fruit and veg shops and the 'cheap' stuff they sell is cheap for a reason.
Same here; in the 8 years I've been here prices have gone up an awful lot. Wasn't to bad for probably the first four, but since then they have skyrocketed. And yes, some people have the time and transport to seek out places where they can save a bit but its not that easy for all of us to do that.
Aus isn't the cheap place to live that it was a few years back.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 10:23 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Same here; in the 8 years I've been here prices have gone up an awful lot. Wasn't to bad for probably the first four, but since then they have skyrocketed. And yes, some people have the time and transport to seek out places where they can save a bit but its not that easy for all of us to do that.
Aus isn't the cheap place to live that it was a few years back.
When I first arrived 6 years ago $200 was an expensive week, now $300+ is the norm. As I have said a few times before, as much as I love it here and it is now my home, I would not come now. It just wouldn't be worth the financial sacrifice.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 10:37 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

To work with the disabled your wife will need to pass at least a Cert III in Disability Services at TAFE. She will then be expected to volunteer for anything up to 100 hours, then she might get something part time... and the money will be rubbish as well.
My wife did/does exactly that.
Ouch. I'm afraid your wife your wife may have been rather badly taken advantage of.

My OH works as a co-ordinator in Disabilty care and recruits/manages supports workers and places them with service users. She used to be a care worker herself until working her way up the ladder.

You do not need Cert III. Sure it would be well regarded but equally so would the OP's wife's previous experience. For evening work she could expect rates in excess of $20/hr. If she were to stay overnight (still sleeping etc but there is case anything happened) she'c could get and extra $100 per night. Not bad for watching telly then sleeping eh?
Old Mar 11th 2011, 10:50 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by EvannTel
Ouch. I'm afraid your wife your wife may have been rather badly taken advantage of.

My OH works as a co-ordinator in Disabilty care and recruits/manages supports workers and places them with service users. She used to be a care worker herself until working her way up the ladder.

You do not need Cert III. Sure it would be well regarded but equally so would the OP's wife's previous experience. For evening work she could expect rates in excess of $20/hr. If she were to stay overnight (still sleeping etc but there is case anything happened) she'c could get and extra $100 per night. Not bad for watching telly then sleeping eh?
Not over this side of the country mate.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Camberwell/S.E London > Orpington > Mornington > heart will always be in Tullamore. Co Offaly
steve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to all

hi

dont know about perth but here in melbourne once you have all your licences ( which takes a while ) you should be earning anything from $400 - $500 per day as long as you are good at your job

the day rate you are quoting is a bit low in (my opinion) but anything can change just like it did back there
Old Mar 11th 2011, 11:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve_kelly_and_boys
hi

dont know about perth but here in melbourne once you have all your licences ( which takes a while ) you should be earning anything from $400 - $500 per day as long as you are good at your job

the day rate you are quoting is a bit low in (my opinion) but anything can change just like it did back there
I save lives for less than half that... Shite i'm in the wrong job
Old Mar 11th 2011, 11:27 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Not over this side of the country mate.
Ah ok but the OP is asking about Perth so your response is rather misleading as NSW standards, good as they are, are irrelevant.

Last edited by EvannTel; Mar 11th 2011 at 11:34 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
When I first arrived 6 years ago $200 was an expensive week, now $300+ is the norm. As I have said a few times before, as much as I love it here and it is now my home, I would not come now. It just wouldn't be worth the financial sacrifice.
I agree. I find it incredibly expensive these days.
Two bags of popcorn,two drinks and two ice creams at Hillarys cost
me $30 today. 17 pounds for what was basically crap.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.