Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

how many $$ do you need to live in perth pcm?

how many $$ do you need to live in perth pcm?

Old Mar 11th 2011, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

benedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to all
Smile how many $$ do you need to live in perth pcm?

we are a family of 4, 2 yr old girl and a 5 yr old boy, we are not an extravagant family, just want to know roughly how many $$$ you need to get by. not looking for a great big house to rent. just homely.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: how many $$ do you need to live in perth pcm?

Depends where you want to lay your hats really. North/South/Central, slightly in land or deep in the bush all have an impact on what you will pay. Then theres the location, how close to schools,transport etc.
We achieved a rental up in Ridgewood, and we are paying just under $400 a week, it has four bedrooms two bath and a double garage, smallish rear garden but ok for us and the kids.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 1:10 am
Forum Regular

edmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of light

$$$$...$$

Rent $450-650 pw (4bed/2bath)
Petrol $70 pw
Food $200-250 pw
Restaurant visits not included (approx. $150 family of 4) Generally expensive
Electricity $100-150 pm
Gas $75pm
Phone+Internet $75 mobile phone not included
Water $70 pm (with pool)
Pint of beer $10
Mars Bar $2.50

Last edited by edmontron; Mar 12th 2011 at 2:05 am. Reason: adjusted food budget price
Old Mar 12th 2011, 2:01 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by edmontron
$$$$...$$

Rent $450-650 pw (4bed/2bath)
Petrol $70 pw
Food $150-200 pw
Restaurant visits not included (approx. $150 family of 4) Generally expensive
Electricity $100-150 pm
Gas $75pm
Phone+Internet $75 mobile phone not included
Water $70 pm (with pool)
Pint of beer $10
Mars Bar $2.50
I spent over $300 this week on food, not sure where you are shopping to get shopping for a family of 4 as low as that.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 2:11 am
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by northernbird
I spent over $300 this week on food, not sure where you are shopping to get shopping for a family of 4 as low as that.
Family of 5 food bill is $200 - $250 a week shopping a woolies
Think it depends on what you buy I suppose! Can vary depending on if its a week where ya have to buy t rolls, cleaning stuff, washing powder etc.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 2:12 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tawkins1
Family of 5 food bill is $200 - $250 a week shopping a woolies
Think it depends on what you buy I suppose! Can vary depending on if its a week where ya have to buy t rolls, cleaning stuff, washing powder etc.
Blimey, my husband would be over the moon, I haven't had a shopping bill lower than $250 for about 3 years.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

edmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of light

I have adjusted my earlier post. I think we probably spend what I initially put down for food (150-200 pw) but this may be hard to achieve for a newcomer. We really do try and save as much as possible. We spend $250 in Woolworths every fortnight (never fruit & veg) and $50 pw for fruit and veg and the occasional shopping for milk & yoghurt at the local IGA.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 2:13 am
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

Blimey, my husband would be over the moon, I haven't had a shopping bill lower than $250 for about 3 years.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 2:33 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Us too. I can do a $200 weekly shop on Saturday but then that doesn't include the running out to the shops on Tuesday and Thursday for milk, bread, eggs, and the last minute crap we forgot on Saturday. Our family (2 adults, 2 teenagers) spends at least $300 a week. Actually, after lap-banding surgery you could say we're 1 adult, 2 teens and 1 child for portions.

To the OP...You need whatever you've got. If we said you need $10k monthly, could you come up with that? Would the answers you get here change your plans to emigrate?
Old Mar 12th 2011, 2:50 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by edmontron
Mars Bar $2.50
2 for $2 in Woolworths the other day. They were also selling the German made clones at 2 for 99c
Old Mar 12th 2011, 2:59 am
Living the dream

One thing I have found here tho is one day it will be one price then the next day its on special at half the price. One tip would be to buy as soon as it goes on special cos guarantee when ya need it it will have shot back up in price Bit like petrol but dont get me started on that one
Old Mar 12th 2011, 3:06 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

It can be done. I spend about $170-$200 for a family of 5. That involves going to

1) Fruit and veg shop
2) Butcher
3) Aldi
4) Big W (Cans tend to be cheaper there)
5) Woolworths

Yes its more work but it can certainly save you. I don't by much processed food as I enjoy cooking.

This weeks totals

Aldi 0 $74.67
Big W $32.28
Woolworths $57.66

Last edited by HUP; Mar 12th 2011 at 3:18 am.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 3:34 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HUP
It can be done. I spend about $170-$200 for a family of 5. That involves going to

1) Fruit and veg shop
2) Butcher
3) Aldi
5) Woolworths

Yes its more work but it can certainly save you. I don't by much processed food as I enjoy cooking.

This weeks totals

Aldi 0 $74.67
Big W $32.28
Woolworths $57.66
The problem is that we dont have an Aldi in Perth.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 3:38 am
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by HUP

1) Fruit and veg shop
2) Butcher
3) Aldi
5) Woolworths

This weeks totals

Aldi 0 $74.67
Big W $32.28
Woolworths $57.66
I should go to the markets for my fruit and veg. I am a lazy shopper! We don't have Aldi in Perth so can't take that option. We also don't buy many processed foods, I cook all our food from scratch and we drink water and milk only. Fizzy drinks send my children mental! I look at my shopping receipt and wonder how the hell I managed to spend that. I have 4 packed lunches per day and I don't shop in between, no trips to IGA for forgotten stuff. Maybe I will try the markets soon, although I am working full time till Easter so it will have to wait until then. I haven't got time to fart right now let alone shop around.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

I should go to the markets for my fruit and veg. I am a lazy shopper! We don't have Aldi in Perth so can't take that option. We also don't buy many processed foods, I cook all our food from scratch and we drink water and milk only. Fizzy drinks send my children mental! I look at my shopping receipt and wonder how the hell I managed to spend that. I have 4 packed lunches per day and I don't shop in between, no trips to IGA for forgotten stuff. Maybe I will try the markets soon, although I am working full time till Easter so it will have to wait until then. I haven't got time to fart right now let alone shop around.
I only buy fruit and veg at the supermarkets if I am desperate.Went to the markets yesterday and got lots of things at a decent price.The trip isnt the highlight of my day.I time myself and promise that I will be in and out in 20 minutes.It rarely happens.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.