Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How to make a vegetarian happy in Oz

How to make a vegetarian happy in Oz

Old Nov 30th 2003, 12:45 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold
Default How to make a vegetarian happy in Oz

After all the recent posts about chips being fried in lard, and even Maccas having tallow in their chips and then frying them in 'shortening', whatever the hell that is, today I bit the bullet. Off we trundled to Coles - got 3.5 litres of Crisco Sunflower Oil and a big bag of spuds. Then off to Bing Lee for one of their special deals - a Sunbeam Cafe Style 2300W Stainless Steel Deep Fat Fryer ($129 on special!)

Back home, a quick rinse, and 20 minutes later Mrs DUP is getting her feet under the table and tucking in to proper vegetarian chips, baked beans and a fried egg, (with, of course, lashings of malt vinegar!) These are the first 'proper' vegetarian chips we've had since getting here 17 months ago. Mrs DUP is now a VERY happy bunny!!

So, the message here is: anything is possible in the Land of Opportunity!!
Old Nov 30th 2003, 12:59 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How to make a vegetarian happy in Oz

Originally posted by downunderpom
After all the recent posts about chips being fried in lard, and even Maccas having tallow in their chips and then frying them in 'shortening', whatever the hell that is, today I bit the bullet. Off we trundled to Coles - got 3.5 litres of Crisco Sunflower Oil and a big bag of spuds. Then off to Bing Lee for one of their special deals - a Sunbeam Cafe Style 2300W Stainless Steel Deep Fat Fryer ($129 on special!)

Back home, a quick rinse, and 20 minutes later Mrs DUP is getting her feet under the table and tucking in to proper vegetarian chips, baked beans and a fried egg, (with, of course, lashings of malt vinegar!) These are the first 'proper' vegetarian chips we've had since getting here 17 months ago. Mrs DUP is now a VERY happy bunny!!

I can imagine Parramatta is not Vege paradise. In the Eastern Burbs there is Govindas vege curry house and cinema. Lauries (on Bondi Road) do good vege takeaways.

I imagine with some of the alternative types in the mountains you might get some better vege food if you eat out. Enjoy your chips.
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 9:42 pm
dazuk

I was one of those who was moaning about chips being fried in lard at maccas, chip shops, supermarket oven chips etc!! However i found that the chip shops were 50/50 in whether they used vege or animal fats, just get into the habit of asking the owner before u buy, they usually know. Another tip is to go to the chippies that have"fried in cholestrial free oil", as this donates that no animal fats have been used.

U from Parramatta?? I foound a good greek chippie in Blacktown and further west a great one in Emu Plains, both have the cholestaral sticker on their windows!!

Old Dec 3rd 2003, 9:48 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by dazuk
I was one of those who was moaning about chips being fried in lard at maccas, chip shops, supermarket oven chips etc!! However i found that the chip shops were 50/50 in whether they used vege or animal fats, just get into the habit of asking the owner before u buy, they usually know. Another tip is to go to the chippies that have"fried in cholestrial free oil", as this donates that no animal fats have been used.

U from Parramatta?? I foound a good greek chippie in Blacktown and further west a great one in Emu Plains, both have the cholestaral sticker on their windows!!
I'm in the Parramatta area (Westmead). Blacktown is about 15-20 minutes away, and Emu Plains about 30-40 minutes, so I think the chips would be cold by the time I got them back home, warmed up the beans and fried the egg!!

Now that I've bought the DFFryer I can have stinkin' hot chips, cooked in sunflower oil, anytime I like.

Good try, tho'! Thanks!
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 9:50 pm
dazuk

I'm in the Parramatta area (Westmead). Blacktown is about 15-20 minutes away, and Emu Plains about 30-40 minutes, so I think the chips would be cold by the time I got them back home, warmed up the beans and fried the egg!!

Now that I've bought the DFFryer I can have stinkin' hot chips, cooked in sunflower oil, anytime I like.

Good try, tho'! Thanks!
yeah its not the same as chip shop chips tho!!! well uk shops anyway!!

Old Dec 3rd 2003, 9:56 pm
I like kittens.

Originally posted by dazuk
yeah its not the same as chip shop chips tho!!! well uk shops anyway!!
The chips I made last week were unanimously voted the best chips we've eaten since getting to Oz.

Proper potatoes (none of this frozen muck!) rinsed, drained, dried, cooked once at 140oC for 6-7 minutes to blanch, then at 190oC for a further 5-6 minutes until golden brown.

Perfect!
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 10:04 pm
dazuk

The chips I made last week were unanimously voted the best chips we've eaten since getting to Oz.

Proper potatoes (none of this frozen muck!) rinsed, drained, dried, cooked once at 140oC for 6-7 minutes to blanch, then at 190oC for a further 5-6 minutes until golden brown.

Perfect!
Ahhhh the important part of that is "since getting to oz" there are no really decent comparisons to make! no insult to you cooking skills intended!!!

i make my own chips at home and have got it to an art form since my first abortive attempts.

However I find it impossible to make chips that are anywhere near as good in texture and taste to that of a first class British chippie!!!

I am a toal chip addict, as you can probably ascertain by these posts!!!!