Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How to make Friends

How to make Friends

Old Jan 22nd 2007, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute
Default How to make Friends

Since some of the posters in Australia seem to have problems in making genuine friends or even friends at all in some cases. Maybe those who have been successful in doing it can give the others some tips in how they successfully made good friends when they arrived not knowing anyone.

It's not always easy starting from scratch if you never done if before...

Over to you....
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 10:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to make Friends

Originally Posted by Mercedes
Since some of the posters in Australia seem to have problems in making genuine friends or even friends at all in some cases. Maybe those who have been successful in doing it can give the others some tips in how they successfully made good friends when they arrived not knowing anyone.

It's not always easy starting from scratch if you never done if before...

Over to you....

I just talked to anyone and everyone Nowt new there then
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 10:53 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
I just talked to anyone and everyone Nowt new there then
Not exactly a revelation that one

Good advice though. And take up every offer of a barbie, beer, knitting circle, whatever it is. You'll probably find for starters that your friends are people from work but over time - remember that one because it won't happen overnight - you'll have met friends of friends, etc and hopefully will have your own little circle.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

I just be myself and if people like me great, if people don't great at least I've made friends with people I can relate too.

Ian
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 11:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

My top tip: Join a volunteer organisation which involves teamwork and where there is a need for operational efficiency and focus. (so you don't die of boredom or get a bunch of misfits which a lot of orgs attract!).

These teams seem to create friendly, focused, decent people who will introduce you to the same. In a year or so you will have a network of like-minded people. It's quite refreshing! I went to a event on Saturday and met some more interesting people who are as far from the usual suspects that people complain about as you can get...

I did that 2 years ago and have never looked back - I have some fantastic friends with beautiful children and we have great times as a result. I've had yet another weekend with people who share, and do so much and have so much energy. Plans were made, not just for 'next weekend', but for sharing the raising of our kids 'between families' so we can all juggle commitments and work loads etc - we're laying down foundations for the health and welfare of our kids. F*** me its good!

cheers
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 11:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
And take up every offer of a barbie, beer, knitting circle, whatever it is.
Agree! Another word to the wise: anyone who rejects an offer from a knitting circle (or some other innocuous craft activity) as being below them may just miss someone who is a real cracker. Leave no stone unturned! My wife said one of the reasons she married me and came over here on my idea was because she knew I'd get us 'out of trouble'(!)

It's harder talking to everyone when you don't have that first arrived natural exuberance. So start talking on arrival and make the most of the honeymoon period because it might get harder later on - although you might 'lose friends' along the way much the way all the people you met in your first term at Uni might not have been the mates you had in Year 3(!)

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Jan 22nd 2007 at 11:43 am. Reason: typo
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 11:24 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
My wife said one of the reasons she married me and came over here on my idea was because she knew I'd get us 'out of trouble'(!)
Out of trouble?
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 11:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Out of trouble?
[of any that we might find ourselves in, inadvertently or otherwise!].

Old Jan 22nd 2007, 11:27 am
What's happening dudes?

[of any that we might find ourselves in, inadvertently or otherwise!].

Gotcha

Old Jan 22nd 2007, 11:39 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Not exactly a revelation that one

Good advice though. And take up every offer of a barbie, beer, knitting circle, whatever it is. You'll probably find for starters that your friends are people from work but over time - remember that one because it won't happen overnight - you'll have met friends of friends, etc and hopefully will have your own little circle.
Albeit a knitting one
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 11:40 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Gotcha

Um, I talked to people at the park, at school, helped in the school for a while, talked to my neighbours... invited them round for a bbq.
Hub picked up some new friends by doing a one day creative writing course... I have got friends through school and suggesting a night out. If I hadn't they wouldn't have done it...
I dunno... just talking to people, finding out what they do, inviting them for a drink.
We're great friends with our neighbours, the couple from the writing course, a pair up the mountains, about 8 people at school... It's not fast but I'm doing ok. Getting there.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 11:42 am
What's happening dudes?

Originally Posted by Brisben
Albeit a knitting one
Oi! Any more of that and I won't share my Arran cardigan pattern with you.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 11:44 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Oi! Any more of that and I won't share my Arran cardigan pattern with you.

I am truly sorry buddy !
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 11:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Got any Norwegian fisherman's ones. The one I bought on a skiing trip is so effing itchy I've never worn it again despite having shaved off the wool on the inside with an old razor blade.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 2:04 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Got any Norwegian fisherman's ones. The one I bought on a skiing trip is so effing itchy I've never worn it again despite having shaved off the wool on the inside with an old razor blade.
Those long evenings must just fly by with such useful tasks to do ............(whats the code for the winking smilie now?)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.