Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How to make cheap phone calls to the UK

How to make cheap phone calls to the UK

Old Feb 24th 2009, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice
Default Re: How to make cheap phone calls to the UK

I'm still cluless about the modem thingy! I presume I need a new modem/router?
Old Feb 24th 2009, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JCSUPERMOTO
Voip phones are the way to go methinks

Get a internet connection but with no phone linehttp://www.iinet.net.au/freezone/#folder=games&id=xbox

Plug phone into a voip router/modem and get a 3rd party phone discount thingymajig for around $5/15 a month http://www.pennytel.com/call_plans_compare.htmland bingo lingo!!!!
The key is in the wording
Old Feb 24th 2009, 10:33 pm

dinner-dash is an unknown quantity at this point

any uk people use this service

http://www.telediscount.co.uk/mobilephones.php
Old Feb 25th 2009, 1:31 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
https://www.mynetfone.com.au/offers/...neosaver-plan/

FREE untimed calls to UK.....

I've been on this plan for nearly 3 years now and I think have only once had a monthly phone bill greater than $10.

It a $5 flat fee - but then unless you live on the phone calls are free other than mobiles (15c a minute).... I havent seen a cheaper phone plan anywhere else.

(oh and quality is not an issue - its great)
Me, too.

Plus, I have a free UK number from http://www.localphone.com/. Choose a number from any area code.

Pennytel is cheaper but they are having loads of problems at the moment. http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-threads.cfm?f=107

I use the Siemens c470IP phone. Cheapest from https://www.maxo.com.au/?mt=shop&sho...item&itemid=14 and http://shop.freshtel.net/product.php...&cat=12&page=1. If you live in Melbourne pop down to Freshtel in Southbank and save on the postage.

If you have extra handsets you can associate a different number with a handset e.g. give your daughter her own number and calls for her ring on her handset in her room. I have older BT-branded Gigaset handsets I have got working with C470IP http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...1776#r17931776

Best to have two providers, one on standby, in case your main supplier has problems.

Ian

EDIT: mynetfone has special offers for whirpoolers https://www.mynetfone.com.au/offers/...irlpool-plans/, so does Maxotel http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...?t=1033963#r15. Pennytel is just cheap (and a tad crap atm) http://www.pennytel.com/call_plans.html

Last edited by scrubbedexpat020; Feb 25th 2009 at 1:34 am.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

I found a ADSL Modem with a voip port already in it I think there's a few but this one is a Zoom X5v anybody got one of these? It seems to save having a modem and a seperate voice box.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

I've just bought a Grandstream 502 ATA and I can honestly say I've gone brain dead! I've got as far as plugging it in to the power socket and connecting an ethernet cable from my modem/router to the WAN port on the ATA. I have no idea how to get the phone working I've tried looking up images on the net and I'm still confused. It seems that the phone is also plugged into the ATA but then it's not connected to the phone line so how do you make a call?!
Old Mar 5th 2009, 9:27 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzyambrose
I've just bought a Grandstream 502 ATA and I can honestly say I've gone brain dead! I've got as far as plugging it in to the power socket and connecting an ethernet cable from my modem/router to the WAN port on the ATA. I have no idea how to get the phone working I've tried looking up images on the net and I'm still confused. It seems that the phone is also plugged into the ATA but then it's not connected to the phone line so how do you make a call?!
You should plug your router / modem into the phone socket, the ATA into the router / modem and then your phone into the ATA. Remember that you are not making 'regular' phone calls, hence the phone doesn't plug into the phone socket!

Beyond that you will need to get help in setting up the grandstream with your VoIP service - you have signed up for a VoIP service haven't you?
Old Mar 5th 2009, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wmoore
You should plug your router / modem into the phone socket, the ATA into the router / modem and then your phone into the ATA. Remember that you are not making 'regular' phone calls, hence the phone doesn't plug into the phone socket!

Beyond that you will need to get help in setting up the grandstream with your VoIP service - you have signed up for a VoIP service haven't you?
Aaaah! I've been uplugging the wire that connects from my phone socket to my cordless phone and plugging it in to the ATA (RJ11-RJ45) so it seems I need to get an RJ11 TO RJ11 wire instead and then I can unplug my cordless from the phone socket.

I've signed up to localphone. I think it would've been easier for me to understand an IP phone. But I'll see how I get on I'm sure I'll get stuck again!
Old Mar 7th 2009, 12:48 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Aaaah! I've been uplugging the wire that connects from my phone socket to my cordless phone and plugging it in to the ATA (RJ11-RJ45) so it seems I need to get an RJ11 TO RJ11 wire instead and then I can unplug my cordless from the phone socket.

I've signed up to localphone. I think it would've been easier for me to understand an IP phone. But I'll see how I get on I'm sure I'll get stuck again!
Sounds like you are getting there

Localphone have a guide for setting up a Grandstream, though not your specific model. See http://www.localphone.com/help/devices/grandstream.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sounds like you are getting there

Localphone have a guide for setting up a Grandstream, though not your specific model. See http://www.localphone.com/help/devices/grandstream.

Ha that's what I thought!

I got my adapter, plugged it in and hey presto a dial tone! just to configure it.... I really got confused and to be honest I can't be bothered to try and work out there's about 25 pages of instructions and they're not very clear - to me anyway. I think it's safe to say I've just about given up and am probably going to sell it on a get myself the siemens IP phones instead.

Last edited by suzyambrose; Mar 7th 2009 at 6:34 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

I got my adapter, plugged it in and hey presto a dial tone! just to configure it.... I really got confused and to be honest I can't be bothered to try and work out there's about 25 of instructions and they're not very clear - to me anyway. I think it's safe to say I've just about given up and am probably going to sell it on a get myself the siemens IP phones instead.
If anyone out there is looking into this and fancies getting a new modem with everything built in, have a look at the NetComm NB9MAXX or something like that. Avaiabale in most places, it is wireless, modem router, that has two VOIP ports built in as well, plus a space for your normal telehone line. Thus we now have a normal line, plus a VoIP phone as well, plus a router (with 4 ethernet ports), modem and anything else. It does not make the tea, which is a bit of a bummer...
Old Mar 8th 2009, 5:52 am
What's happening dudes?

Originally Posted by slipshot
If anyone out there is looking into this and fancies getting a new modem with everything built in, have a look at the NetComm NB9MAXX or something like that. Avaiabale in most places, it is wireless, modem router, that has two VOIP ports built in as well, plus a space for your normal telehone line. Thus we now have a normal line, plus a VoIP phone as well, plus a router (with 4 ethernet ports), modem and anything else. It does not make the tea, which is a bit of a bummer...
Although my Linksys doesn't actually make tea, it does get hot enough to boil the kettle on
Old Mar 8th 2009, 5:59 am
What's happening dudes?

I got my adapter, plugged it in and hey presto a dial tone! just to configure it.... I really got confused and to be honest I can't be bothered to try and work out there's about 25 pages of instructions and they're not very clear - to me anyway. I think it's safe to say I've just about given up and am probably going to sell it on a get myself the siemens IP phones instead.
Before you do that, bear in mind that you can leave most of those settings as is to be honest. The important ones to try are:

Proxy: localphone.com
Outbound proxy: proxy.localphone.com
Use Outbound Proxy: Yes
Register: Yes
Register Expires: 240
Display Name: your name
User ID: your Localphone number in full e.g. 441642xxxxxx
Password: your SIP password
Auth ID: your SIP ID

Get your SIP ID and password from http://www.localphone.com/settings after logging on to your dashboard. Those settings should be enough to get you started. Your Grandstream should have a default dial plan configured, if not you could try this one that I use:
Code:
(000S0|106S0|183[12]x.|1[389]xxxxxxxxS0|13[1-9]xxxS0|0[23478]xxxxxxxxS0|[2-9]xxxxxxxS0|001xxxx.S5|111S0|*xx.)
Good luck
Old Mar 8th 2009, 7:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Your Grandstream should have a default dial plan configured, if not you could try this one that I use:
Code:
(000S0|106S0|183[12]x.|1[389]xxxxxxxxS0|13[1-9]xxxS0|0[23478]xxxxxxxxS0|[2-9]xxxxxxxS0|001xxxx.S5|111S0|*xx.)
This is the problem with ATAs (analogue telephone adapters) - you need to get involved with command line dialling plans.

My suggestion is the Siemens C470IP I use. Before buying any kit check out the manual to make sure you understand it OR you have a friend that can set it up for you. http://gigaset.com/shc/0,1935,hq_en_...0.html#content

Benefits of voip dect phones.
1. You can make 3 calls simultaneously - 1 fixed line (Optus, Telstra) and 2 voip.
2. You can set up 6 voip accounts on the phone and assign different handsets to them.
My daughter has her own DID (direct inward dialling) telephone number which receives calls in her bedroom and the lounge. Calls from her handset are sent using her DID.
The other 4 handsets send calls using our fixed line number (Optus) as the DID even though the call is via voip. I give out two phone numbers to get me - Optus line and a Maxotel DID.
Also, you can transfer calls between the handsets although in our house people insist on walking the handset to each other.
3. Always have more than one voip provider. All our calls are sent via Maxotel except international which go via Pennytel (8c call to UK). I also have a mynetfone account. The dialling plan on the Siemens phone is easy - no difficult parameters to understand.
4. DID from Maxotel is free. DIDs from Pennytel and Mynetfone cost $5/year.
5. Maxotel and Pennytel allow you to assign another number as the DID. I send calls using Maxotel but receivers see my Optus phone number if they have CLID.
5. Join Whirlpool and ask questions. http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-threads.cfm?f=107
6. It's not necessary to get a bunch of new handsets. I have associated 4-year-old BT handsets with the base. http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...7308&p=14#r279
7. I have enabled QoS on my router and given UDP ports 5060 and 5004 highest priority. I have also port forwarded (http://www.portforward.com/help/portforwarding.htm) those ports. This is the hardest bit but easy to somebody that has a basic knowledge. Get a friend to do it - we all know somebody that is better at computers than yourself.

Ian
Old Mar 8th 2009, 10:20 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

85p thats a bit expensive, We pay 8c with penny tel for as long as we like

And they do a Linksys SPA 3102 ATA for $68 that includes $18 of free calls as well, the 3102 is good becuase you can plug you standard phone line is as well so can use the same handset for both.

I think using a UK based VOIP provider might degrade the quality if the servers are based in the UK due to the lag.

Having a local number must be handy though, saying that it's normally cheaper to ring Oz then a local number with BT

Just thought I'd share with you ... Since moving house, I didn't get any regular phone lines installed, as I solely use VoIP now. I'm not sure why it didn't occur to me before but due to the wonders of the interwebs, I signed up with a UK VoIP provider and have a UK phone number. I had to buy a VoIP ATA (basically a device that lets you plug in regular telephones but make calls over the net) at $50 off ebay. Mrs M called her folks tonight (using a regular telephone handset) and the call quality was good. Better still, it only cost $0.85 for a 45 minute call, which is way less than we had been paying previously.

And because we have a UK number, the rellies can call us for the cost of a local call too. Win-win I am using Localphone, though there are certainly others available. And if you don't want to splash out on an ATA, you can download X-Lite for free and use it on the PC with a headset.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.