Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

how long till we get family tax credit?

how long till we get family tax credit?

Old Sep 5th 2004, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

mrttennis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default how long till we get family tax credit?

Been living in Brissy now for 5 weeks - having a gr8 time - both working already. Got medicare cards but no family tax credits yet? How long does it normally take?
ps - not missing UK at all, nor are the kids, so far everything going perfectly! didn't leave the uk with rose tinted specs either!! bought block of land yesterday at warner lakes estate and building a house as we got fed up with looking and not finding 'the one' also the real estate agents here (especially ljhooker) are real pushy.
If you are still in the UK and looking forward to coming to Australia then don't let any negative posters on this board put you off - if you come for the right reasons and most importantly are of the positive mindset you will probably love it. So far Australia is all that we thought it would be and more!! But of course we have only been here for 5 weeks but I reckon first impressions are pretty accurate.
Is the depressing Kong still haunting this board - I've not been on it for a while as I've been enjoying life as much as possible and only have a 31kbs connection?
Good luck to all of you who are waiting to come - The most stressful part o f the process for us was without doubt selling the house in the UK
Old Sep 5th 2004, 10:52 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: how long till we get family tax credit?

Originally Posted by mrttennis
Been living in Brissy now for 5 weeks - having a gr8 time - both working already. Got medicare cards but no family tax credits yet? How long does it normally take?
ps - not missing UK at all, nor are the kids, so far everything going perfectly! didn't leave the uk with rose tinted specs either!! bought block of land yesterday at warner lakes estate and building a house as we got fed up with looking and not finding 'the one' also the real estate agents here (especially ljhooker) are real pushy.
If you are still in the UK and looking forward to coming to Australia then don't let any negative posters on this board put you off - if you come for the right reasons and most importantly are of the positive mindset you will probably love it. So far Australia is all that we thought it would be and more!! But of course we have only been here for 5 weeks but I reckon first impressions are pretty accurate.
Is the depressing Kong still haunting this board - I've not been on it for a while as I've been enjoying life as much as possible and only have a 31kbs connection?
Good luck to all of you who are waiting to come - The most stressful part o f the process for us was without doubt selling the house in the UK
have u applied for the tax credit yet??
Old Sep 5th 2004, 5:25 pm
In Brisbane at last!!!

shecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the rough

Hi mrttennis,
Glad to see posts like this, you've really cheered me up. We have the visa sorted and are waiting for our house to sell (stressful). We are also heading for Brisbane North once the house is sold and I'm so glad to hear you're really enjoying it and not having any doubts about whether you've done the right thing.
Well done for getting jobs that quickly as well, we have been worrying about whether we will get jobs quickly, although we are prepared to do anything to start with until we can find our usual jobs, so hopefully it won't take us long. I'm also interested in the family credits issue and I know we can only receive the lowest rate to start with, but thats fine with us.
Good luck with your house build!!
Cheers again
Shell
Old Sep 5th 2004, 6:39 pm
Anxiously awaiting March

vicky o will become famous soon enoughvicky o will become famous soon enough

Nice to hear you've settled well. Good luck with the house and let us know how it goes as we're considering building too.

Vicky
Old Sep 6th 2004, 1:40 am
Forum Regular

mrttennis is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by biggy
have u applied for the tax credit yet??
yes, applied for it around 4 weeks ago.
Old Sep 6th 2004, 2:57 am
ABCDiamond

Maybe Centrelink are getting bogged down with all the extra work sorting out new migrants sponsors etc, and can't get around to the other work !!

I think I am am joking :scared:

Old Sep 6th 2004, 3:14 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

mite give them a wee bit longer then, also depends on how u decided to get it paid, weekly, monthly or at the end of tax year (if you can live without it monthly then it is a good way of saving )
Old Sep 6th 2004, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

barry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nice

Hi I arrived last October and my wife and daughter arrived Jan 1st 2004. We applied for tax credit in early feb and my wife lodged the papers with them (centrelink) on the tuesday of that particular week. We had the money paid ( backdated) into our bank account on the thursday. We also received rent rebate as well and were getting around $800 per month ! Have never applied for any form of support in the UK but am sure it would never be dealt with as quickly as centerlink processed our application!

Barry
Old Sep 6th 2004, 11:14 am
Just Joined

aussieboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by barry&carol
Hi I arrived last October and my wife and daughter arrived Jan 1st 2004. We applied for tax credit in early feb and my wife lodged the papers with them (centrelink) on the tuesday of that particular week. We had the money paid ( backdated) into our bank account on the thursday. We also received rent rebate as well and were getting around $800 per month ! Have never applied for any form of support in the UK but am sure it would never be dealt with as quickly as centerlink processed our application!

Barry

Hi Barry,

If you don't mind could you please break down the $ 800 you r getting per month.I mean r u claiming tax benefits part A and B.Iam confused to whether iam eligible for claiming tax benefits part B.If you want you can pm me.

Please do reply.

Aussieboy