Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How Long Have You Lived In Oz?

How Long Have You Lived In Oz?

Old Nov 24th 2008, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How Long Have You Lived In Oz?

We've been here 2 yrs and 9.5 months and are planning to stay for at least a few more years.

It took me 11 months to feel like it was "home" - I was flying back into Sydney after 10 days in Tasmania and I just had that "coming home" feeling as I flew into Sydney. That said, when I flew back to the UK in July I had that "coming home" feeling too... so maybe it's just my "thank Goodness the flight's over" feeling more than anything LOL.

We might move back to the UK one day, who knows? We didn't leave the UK because we hated it and it was "going to the dogs" (as I so often read on here) - it was just a good opportunity for us to come here so we took it. So yes, one day we might move back there - never say never!
Old Nov 24th 2008, 12:30 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Been here two years now. I like it, but it is a bit quiet. I don't like the political system, but the smplest thing to do is try and change it rather than complain about it. Or leave.

I live in the country. I wouldn't live in a city in Australia. Paris beats them all hands down.

Sure as hell wouldn't go back to the UK. Got out of there in 1997 and haven't looked back. For those of you who consider only the possibility of staying here or going back to the UK, you should think more broadly.

Depending on what you're looking for, almost anywhere is better than the UK.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 12:36 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

2 years 3.5 months. It's home now after a bit of a rocky start. We're planning on staying at least until our kids finish high school (6 more years) then we may give Europe a try for a couple of years before returning here for our retirement. I don't know that we'll retire in Perth, but Australia for sure.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 2:13 am
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

4 years 3 months give or take a day or two....

I hated it so much in the beginning that my Husband had to take my Passport away and I ended up on Anti-depressants. After 2 years I finally settled with the support of a lovely group of friends in Adelaide.....Then we moved to the Gold Coast and I felt it all over again ....but this time knew it would get better with time and now knew the secret of mending the lonely empty feeling that homesickness brings.

I'm feeling like this could be my long term home now, but have recently been rocked by the news that my Mum is weeks away from death. As awful as it sounds, once she is gone, that is my main pull towards the U.K gone.....I will have no family ties there, only sentimental memories of a time, a moment that once existed, not so much a place....Does that make sense?

I think I could be equally at home in either place now, but find Australia offers my kids a brighter upbringing than our circumstances would allow in the U.K.

I'm still a jeans, hiking boots, real ale swilling, woodland walks, Crispy Autumnal mornings, narrow boat, 'old stuff' loving kind of a girl at heart though *sigh*

In fanciful moments I think that I might like to retire back to the U.K when a Widow (if I don't die first)....but then all my kids and Grandkids would most likely be here.....this emigration business is faaar more complex than it first seems.

I am travelling back for the first time in December. It will be very interesting to see how I feel then, but I've got the feeling that I will want to return home to Australia. Despite my trip being fraught with sadness and emotion it's almost like a coming of age thing for me...finishing off the childhood, being a Daughter chapter part of my life.

Time to grow up,stop feeling sorry for myself and appreciate all the good things that I have right NOW and not to fret about things past or things that may happen

Jan (in a sad yet reflective mood today)
Old Nov 24th 2008, 2:30 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Been here 2 years and 7 months. Very rocky start, hated everything about it (but now realise it was down to my daughter and MIL making me unhappy).
Feel as settled as i will ever feel, but still going back to UK Jan 09 to be with my mum who is battling cancer.

May return one day.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 3:07 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Been here 3 years and 4 months still homesick dont think that will ever change staying here for the forceable future but doubt we will be here forever.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Just over 4 years and although I have a lot of reason to be unsettled - I am VERY settled and love it :-)
Old Nov 24th 2008, 4:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Sparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of light

Been here just over seven months-so very early days. We're still in the "discovery" phase I think!
Old Nov 24th 2008, 4:38 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

18 months and only deportation would get me to go back to Uk. pull rather than push reasons for coming here, I think always pans out better imho
Old Nov 24th 2008, 5:06 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Rapidly approaching 6 year anniversary. Most of that has been on a Temporary Visa (457) but finally got my PR a couple of months ago. Counting down to Citzenship by November 2009.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 5:17 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Just over 6 years.
Best thing we ever did, love it here, it's now definitely home.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Donna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to behold

Hi 19 months & only really felt settled after a trip back to Scotland this June. No plans to return at present, but hey who knows. Its a big world out there.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 7:01 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

2 years and 2 months, best thing we ever did. We love it here and have no plans to go back.

Mr ACE went back last year for the Cheltenham festival (his annual jolly with his mates) he offered to take me and the boys but I didn't even want to go for a holiday.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 7:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

2 & half years and wild horses couldn't drag me back to the UK.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

42years and 3months for me. Very hard at the start but I'm so glad I'm here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.