Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

how long to get a tax file number (TFN)

how long to get a tax file number (TFN)

Old May 23rd 2011, 11:17 am
Just Joined

Snick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default how long to get a tax file number (TFN)

G'day

Just curious to find out how long it look to get a TFN? I applied over 3 weeks ago - and so far nothing!

I've been in Melbourne since the end of April.

thanks
Old May 23rd 2011, 11:25 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how long to get a tax file number (TFN)

Originally Posted by Snick
G'day

Just curious to find out how long it look to get a TFN? I applied over 3 weeks ago - and so far nothing!

I've been in Melbourne since the end of April.

thanks
did you apply online or by filling out a form?
Old May 23rd 2011, 11:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by commonwealth
did you apply online or by filling out a form?
I did it online - maybe I should have filled out a form now
Old May 23rd 2011, 2:11 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snick
I did it online - maybe I should have filled out a form now
Ours took 10 days. Looking at the confirmation print out that I had when registering for my TFN it states that if you havent received the number after 28 days then you should telephone 132861. If you have that print out or noted the reference number for the receipt of your application then you'll need to quote that to them when you phone though. Good luck.
Old May 23rd 2011, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all

Rather than start a new thread can I apply for the tax file number while in the Uk?

I'd rather have this set up before starting work.

I have an approved visa and address in Oz.
Old May 23rd 2011, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

PunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud of

You have to enter the country first I believe. It seemed to know when my husband entered the country and wouldn't let us do it before then.
Old May 23rd 2011, 5:58 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PunkDebutante
You have to enter the country first I believe. It seemed to know when my husband entered the country and wouldn't let us do it before then.
Yep, you have to validate the visa by entering the country before you can get a TFN.
Old May 23rd 2011, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all

Ah well mind. The best laid plans as they say.

Just one more thing to do when I arrive.
Old May 23rd 2011, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

daddyoconnor will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Yep, you have to validate the visa by entering the country before you can get a TFN.
Can I just ask - Can you apply online if you are in UK currently, but have already entered Australia and validated Visa.

We are making the move over in 6 weeks - but already validated visa last year - So wondered if we could apply now.

Thanks
Old May 23rd 2011, 8:47 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daddyoconnor
Can I just ask - Can you apply online if you are in UK currently, but have already entered Australia and validated Visa.

We are making the move over in 6 weeks - but already validated visa last year - So wondered if we could apply now.

Thanks
I think so, but I won't guarantee it - go to the ATO website and try it, it'll soon tell you if you can't.
Old May 23rd 2011, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

vickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to all

Ours took 4 weeks and 2 days - did it online
Old May 24th 2011, 1:54 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Maybe it would be better to apply for it only when you're here and taking up residence to avoid any possible collisions of tax liabilities between the two countries?
Old May 24th 2011, 8:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
No you can't do this, you have to be in the country.

We validated, went back to UK and then when I re-entered Australia a couple of days before Mr BS I tried to apply for both of us online. Mine went through fine, but when I tried to apply for him it said that it was not possible as the records showed that he was not currently in the country. So he applied for himself a couple of days later when he arrived.

Ours took two weeks.
Old May 24th 2011, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

DeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to all

so i dont arrive in oz for a few weeks.. if it can take upto 4 weeks to arrive.. what happens to your pay until then?

Is it on some sort of emergency tax code?
Old May 24th 2011, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DeepSix
so i dont arrive in oz for a few weeks.. if it can take upto 4 weeks to arrive.. what happens to your pay until then?

Is it on some sort of emergency tax code?
you pay more tax

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.