Reload this Page >

How long to get out to Aus?

How long to get out to Aus?

Old May 22nd 2003, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

perth convert is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How long to get out to Aus?

Can anyone help?

After having just returned from Perth 'Heaven' I am keener than ever to progress our Migration process. There are literally hundreds of jobs advertised weekly in the West Australian & if your skills comprise of anything either in the building industry or medical profession you will find work almost immediately and subsequently those applications could be complete within 6 -9 months.
As I am a Manufacturing professional opportunities are less bountiful (as echoed by a couple of agencies I visited whilst in Perth) and therefore not 'top of the list' on skills in demand.
For that reason we decided to utilise the services of a Migration agent as he explained that not only could the process be shortened, from 18 months to around 9 months, but as migration rules are forever changing lenghly delays would be avoided.
Has anyone experience of the time the process takes using an agent?
Old May 22nd 2003, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

Growler is an unknown quantity at this point

We used an agent. Although we are looking at Sydney, I think the process is the same. Whilst we were there last June, we found him, gave him information, and got some from him, and then sent the rest to him in the next 3 months. We only heard from him in September to say it had been lodged, and then last monday to say conditionally approved. We had 1 document to sign and return which arrived and was sent back on saturday. We have to make entry by September 7. Although it cost a fair bit, I know there have been 3 changes since we started the process, and because we have an agent, we only took a passing interest.

As a note, we had an agent in Australia as above to england.
Old May 22nd 2003, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

Growler,

Thanks for your reply. You are right it's not particularly cheap, but I suppose you are paying for their knowledge, expertise and 'tricks of the trade' to minimise delay and securing a positive outcome to the application. We too are using an agent from Sydney and although the internet is a fantasic communication medium you can't beat face-to-face interaction. Having said that I have rung a few times at 5am UK time to speak to the agent on the phone.
I hope it's value for money!
Old May 22nd 2003, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

As I'm sure people will tell you, using an agent is no quicker than lodging your application yourself, except of course they will do a lot of the form filling and hand holding for you, and charge you! Not saying you shouldn't use one ( we did) but many have done it without and been just as successful.

You sound bowled over by Perth, but remember you were on holiday and things are different when you live somewhere. How often do you visit local beauty spots etc at home? There is every day life to contend with, work, shopping, cleaning etc, it's not every day on the beach or by the pool.

All that said, it's still a brilliant place to live.

Loopy
Old May 22nd 2003, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

As I'm sure people will tell you, using an agent is no quicker than lodging your application yourself, except of course they will do a lot of the form filling and hand holding for you, and charge you! Not saying you shouldn't use one ( we did) but many have done it without and been just as successful.
If your application is straight forward. ie. No complications, such as ill health, convictions etc. etc. You will not need an agent and I doubt they could get you a visa much quicker.

Also as Loopy pointed out, living and working in a place is a whole new ball game, in holiday mood you see what you want to see. On saying that I went for 6 weeks holiday and couldnt stand the place. !! More to do with ex GFs outlaws than anything else.

If you want a list of agents take a look at Agents or take a look at Free Migration Assessment The sites are worth a look just for all the free information.
Old May 22nd 2003, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

Loppy,
Thanks for your reply. When I visited Perth I tried to not view it through 'holiday-makers-eyes' which is difficult when you are on holiday. I went with my brother-in-law who was on 'holiday' but while he was off fishing or on the beach I toured the schools, shopping centres etc - all the boring stuff, I even went to the Library! Anyhow you are absolutly right, you will have the same hassles & pressures of every day living, going to work, paying the bills just like you have to at home. I personnally am not a beach person or like swimming in the sea or playing lots of sports. I get up five days a week at 6am, spend an hour in the car & return home at 6:30 - 7:00 pm & collaspse in front of the TV. I don't expect that to change too much, but I do know that when the sun is shining you feel happier in yourself & motivated to go out do something positive. I found people to be more sociable & the surrounding areas of Perth where I spent most of my time (Kinross, Quinns beach, Joodalup, Mindaire etc) generaly a cleaner, well cared for & well thought out place to live. It was a pleasure to drive on non-conjested roads & know how long, inadvance it will take you to get from A to B. My wife has slowly converted me over 18 years of marriage to not be as narrow minded in some of my views. It was years before I would work in a different town & now we iare n process of moving to the other side of the world. I belive I am a realist ( some say a pesimist) so a country would have offer some positve advantage for me to move. I was a douting Thomas but now a convert, just an instintive feeling based on limited personal experience and belief by making comparisons to my home country. I still think the UK is a great place as I have lived there all my life but Perth. I believe has more generic benefits for myself & my family.
It's almost as if Aus is the UK as I would want it to be.
Old May 22nd 2003, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife has slowly converted me over 18 years of marriage to not be as narrow minded in some of my views
I am impressed its taken 18 years. I am hanging in there after 3 years, shes slowly started grinding me down.

Seems to me perth convert after reading your last post that you know what you want, go for it. I agree with many of the points you made, especially.
I do know that when the sun is shining you feel happier in yourself & motivated to go out do something positive
Old May 22nd 2003, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

as mentioned an agent cannot get the processing times shortened

however what they can do is head off potential problems and keep you ahead of the game by forwarning you when/where to get medicals done etc.

as mentioned if you feel your case is pretty straight forward and you are able to fill out the forms etc etc then go it alone.

I found this site long after I had appointed an agent but in hindsight with this forum as backup I would go it alone. with the exception of paying a bit extra to get my TRA pre-appraised (worth every penny in all honesty)

cheers

richard