Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How long does it take to sort out renting?

How long does it take to sort out renting?

Old Oct 23rd 2005, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How long does it take to sort out renting?

Originally Posted by walaj
references from where? we will be landing and looking for virtually everything from accomodation to jobs. We have some friends in Oz, will that be good enough?
And what do they want to see on the references anyway?
Old Oct 24th 2005, 1:29 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

references from where? we will be landing and looking for virtually everything from accomodation to jobs. We have some friends in Oz, will that be good enough?
We were asked for 12 names between us. Only four in total of these were actually referees, the others were four next-of-kin, and four contacts in the event of emergency, but we had to provide 12 names in total, all different, and we had to have known each for more than six months.

I would say that your friends in Oz will be fine, but you could also offer the names of relatives in the UK, former boss or UK friends. Having said that, I believe that Oz referees are perhaps preferable, so the more Oz ones you can supply, perhaps the better.

What is really so stupid is that the whole reference issue is completely irrelevant to what you are like and whether you are trustworthy. Who in their right mind is going to provide the name of a person who hates their guts to be a referee? You give the names of people who are going to say you're lovely, trustworthy, honest, dependable, reliable, etc.etc....aren't you?

I have to be honest - I think everyone who comes here without job, accommodation, and perhaps money, is incredibly brave. It's not something I would have had the balls for. Kudos to all who are....
Old Oct 24th 2005, 2:42 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

thanks re the references. 12 references - that's taking the micky. Maybe I should use a list from Brit expats, after all a lot of us have been around for a lot longer than 6mths
Originally Posted by Bella Donna
I have to be honest - I think everyone who comes here without job, accommodation, and perhaps money, is incredibly brave. It's not something I would have had the balls for. Kudos to all who are....
we are working on the money bit (selling the house), then we can see if we can sort out the job bit before we get to Oz, but planning that won't walk straight into a job. Brave, no. Scary/exciting maybe
Old Oct 24th 2005, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

funkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant future

thanks for all your replies, it helps so much talking to you lot, and listening to your veiws.
Oh and Jonjon.Johnas Mummy has a very nice apartment right on the beach. PM her.
Old Oct 24th 2005, 1:05 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I had a hell of a time finding a place to rent. Good places close to the city are hard to find in Perth due to the influx of people coming in for this resources boom. It's not helped by the fact that most estate agents are tossers. I've managed to get a nice 3+2 in Inglewood which is 10 minutes from the CBD. Loads of people wanted this place. They wanted a 12 month lease, I only wanted 6 months, so I offered them $20pw extra & suprise, suprise they accepted it. References from friends are acceptable, I'm working, so I gave them a copy of my contract which showed my rate & they were happy with that. The agent told me that they don't mind new immigrants as they realise that we have already been vetted by the Australian government. As we all know they don't hand out 136's in lucky packets. I move in on Thursday.
Old Oct 24th 2005, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry just seen your post, yep friends are fine...we used our temp accommodation lady and Scissors

Sue x
Old Oct 24th 2005, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by isgraham
And what do they want to see on the references anyway?

They will just call who you've put down as a reference and get a character reference, nothing heavy... we hardly know the lady for 1 of our references!

Sue x