Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

how long do you get after visa validation?

how long do you get after visa validation?

Old Oct 3rd 2006, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of
Default how long do you get after visa validation?

Can someone please confirm how long you have to emigrate on your PR visa once you've validated it ? is it 5 years ??
Also, if me and my partner are successful with our visa - my partners Mum is hoping to be able to apply to emigrate so that she can move to where my sister-in-law already lives in Australia (which is not where we are going). Although she is in her 70's - she is hoping she can go on the basis that the majority of her family will then be residing in Australia.
However, we're not sure whether we would actually need to be living in Australia already or whether the fact that we have been granted and validated visa's would be sufficient ? Has anyone had any experience of this? Any advice/info would be gratefully received!!
thanks guys & girls!
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 7:55 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how long do you get after visa validation?

Originally Posted by travelbug
Can someone please confirm how long you have to emigrate on your PR visa once you've validated it ? is it 5 years ??
Also, if me and my partner are successful with our visa - my partners Mum is hoping to be able to apply to emigrate so that she can move to where my sister-in-law already lives in Australia (which is not where we are going). Although she is in her 70's - she is hoping she can go on the basis that the majority of her family will then be residing in Australia.
However, we're not sure whether we would actually need to be living in Australia already or whether the fact that we have been granted and validated visa's would be sufficient ? Has anyone had any experience of this? Any advice/info would be gratefully received!!
thanks guys & girls!
It is 5 years, but you wouldn't want to leave it to the last minute because you might find it hard getting a resident return visa if you needed to leave Australia in an emergency. It's usually quite hard to get olds in to Australia, unless you have a lot of money. Try the immigration forum though, I expect you'll get more info there.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 7:57 am
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

thanks guys & girls!
you have 5 years from GRANT of visa to make the move - you have to validate within (usually) 12 months from date of whichever is first of yoru medicals/police checks.

usually a PR parent visa can only be applied for after you (child) have been in the country for 2 years (although diff visas have diff tme scales and exceptions can be made for certain circumstances) You could look at temp visa options which don't need the same residency time.

Hope this helps
Tiggs
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by renth
It is 5 years, but you wouldn't want to leave it to the last minute because you might find it hard getting a resident return visa if you needed to leave Australia in an emergency. It's usually quite hard to get olds in to Australia, unless you have a lot of money. Try the immigration forum though, I expect you'll get more info there.
thanks for your quick reply. We are hoping to go within 1-2 years of validating the visa's - but i dont want to be pressurised by my partners Mum or his sister to rush my move just so that they can try and get the mother-in-law over there!!!! thanks!
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Talking Re: how long do you get after visa validation?

Originally Posted by Tiggs+Graz
you have 5 years from GRANT of visa to make the move - you have to validate within (usually) 12 months from date of whichever is first of yoru medicals/police checks.

usually a PR parent visa can only be applied for after you (child) have been in the country for 2 years (although diff visas have diff tme scales and exceptions can be made for certain circumstances) You could look at temp visa options which don't need the same residency time.

Hope this helps
Tiggs
thanks for your reply. we kind of thought we might have to be a resident for a while before she would be able to apply. as i just mentioned to Renth on the other post though - i feel like we're kind of under pressure to emigrate asap so that they can get started with her application which bothers me as i'm expecting my 2nd child early December and dont want to emigrate for at least another 1-2 years time at the earliest so that the 2nd child has a chance to get to know the other grandparents 1st before we go. We're planning to go to Tasmania and they wont be able to travel due to ill-health which is why i'm holding off with our plans for a little while.....and i'm very stubborn so if someone tries to make me rush things for their benefit rather than mine - then i stick my heels in!!!!!
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 8:44 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for your reply. we kind of thought we might have to be a resident for a while before she would be able to apply. as i just mentioned to Renth on the other post though - i feel like we're kind of under pressure to emigrate asap so that they can get started with her application which bothers me as i'm expecting my 2nd child early December and dont want to emigrate for at least another 1-2 years time at the earliest so that the 2nd child has a chance to get to know the other grandparents 1st before we go. We're planning to go to Tasmania and they wont be able to travel due to ill-health which is why i'm holding off with our plans for a little while.....and i'm very stubborn so if someone tries to make me rush things for their benefit rather than mine - then i stick my heels in!!!!!
As far as I know.

You will need to be living there in order for your MIL to pass the balance of family test but your SIL can be the sponsor if she has been there two years.

You will also need an AOS from someone with the required minimum income and 2 years tax returns.

G
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Grayling
As far as I know.

You will need to be living there in order for your MIL to pass the balance of family test but your SIL can be the sponsor if she has been there two years.

You will also need an AOS from someone with the required minimum income and 2 years tax returns.

G
thanks for your reply. My SIL has been in Australia for more than 16 years now - and i know that she is financially able to provide AOS for her mum. i guess im potentially going to have people keep asking us when we're moving!!!!