Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How long did you spend in temp accommodation?

How long did you spend in temp accommodation?

Old May 21st 2009, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all
Default How long did you spend in temp accommodation?

My mind's whirring over everything just now, and one of the biggest things that's going round and round is accommodation. I'm planning on booking a temporary place for 2 weeks where we'll stay before we manage to get ourselves a rental house.

Is 2 weeks long enough? How long did you stay in temp accommodation when you initially made the move? How quickly after agreeing to lease a house longer term were you able to move in?
Old May 21st 2009, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long did you spend in temp accommodation?

We did 2 weeks in a holiday accomadation flat, we ran round all day everyday like crazy people to find somewhere decent to rent but we managed it. It was damn exhausting and looking back I think 3 weeks might have been better to be able to have a bit more of a comfort zone, after all it takes a few days to get over the flight and find your feet.
Old May 21st 2009, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

grays is on a distinguished road

We've booked 4 weeks in a holiday rental - hope that's long enough !
Old May 21st 2009, 5:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all

Good to know that you managed in 2 weeks. I'm hoping it's enough for us too, though I'm sure we can always extend it if need be.

How long did it take from you finding somewhere to rent to moving in?
Old May 21st 2009, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

davidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to all

hi we have booked a place for 4 weeks dont forget you might have to have things like bank accounts or jobs etc before they will let you rent i think 4 weeks is just right and even then i think it may be a bit of a rush
Old May 21st 2009, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

I have enough capital to pay the full 6 months of rent up front and already have the bank account under control.
Old May 21st 2009, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

davidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to all

how do i open a bank account from here?
Old May 21st 2009, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

bu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of light

3 weeks for us, commencing august
Old May 21st 2009, 8:11 pm
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cookiestar
My mind's whirring over everything just now, and one of the biggest things that's going round and round is accommodation. I'm planning on booking a temporary place for 2 weeks where we'll stay before we manage to get ourselves a rental house.

Is 2 weeks long enough? How long did you stay in temp accommodation when you initially made the move? How quickly after agreeing to lease a house longer term were you able to move in?
Hi

We booked 10 Days in an apartment in Brisbane.

We did all we had to (Banks / Tax File No: etc etc) bought a car, and secured a rental in Redland Bay, all with a 5 yr old in tow and it was November so it was extremely hot after coming from UK.

If your organised 2 weeks is plenty
Old May 21st 2009, 9:22 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cookiestar

OH's employer had booked 6 weeks for us in an apartment in Brisbane. We knew we had to be on the ball because we had the dogs due out of quarantine as we were due to leave the apartment and we also wanted the kids settled in school as soon as possible.

We'd already researched online the areas we thought we wanted to live in - first reccie was to actually drive through them and reassess. Then we searched all rentals in those areas, ruled out the ones that said no pets, drove to look at locations of them, arranged viewings/attended open viewings for them. For each one we went to, we got an application form before hand from the agent which was filled in and we took it, together with any applicable paperwork to the rental. If we liked the look of the place we gave the completed application form to the agent straight away.

Across the top of each page of the application form we wrote 'willing to pay 3 months rent up front'

We viewed three, liked and applied for 2, and were offered both the ones we applied for. (Even with 3 teenagers and 2 dogs in tow)

We landed on 10th Jan and were in our rental on the 25th January. (Signed the lease on the 24th, rental was ours the next day)

The thing is to be organised and methodical and have a smidgen of good fortune
Old May 22nd 2009, 3:25 am
Forum Regular

Smartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud of

We booked for 4 weeks but ended up staying an extra week, luckily it was still free. It was harder to find the right house for a longer term rent than we thought and then we had to wait to get in. I would say 4 weeks minimum depending on where you are going, otherwise you may be under a lot of pressure to take the first place your offered which may not be what are really looking for. Also this was nearly 4 years ago now and I believe its a lot tougher and with more competition for rentals than it was then, especially in the sort after suburbs. You could easily find yourselves one of 20 going for the same property.
Old May 22nd 2009, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

spadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nice

In our experience of people who have stayed with us, plus our own personal experience 4 weeks is usually the average to look around areas, suburbs, schools, employment etc. As said previous try and do as much research as possible, although things can look very different when you arrive as on the internet.
Everyone is different some people may need 6 weeks some only 2 weeks, you will be so busy when you arrive that time just runs away with you, I would advice on average give yourself probably four weeks, this way you will not rush into any drastic decision making.
Good luck with your move
Old May 23rd 2009, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies. Actually Spadgersdad, your place is one of the short term places that we're looking at. I'll get in touch with you once we're set up with dates to see how your availablity is

We've already been to Brisbane and have a really good idea of where we want to settle so that's going to save time.
Old May 23rd 2009, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

spadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nice

Hi,
Thank you for checking our website, we will do our absolute best to help you out in anyway we can.
We know how you must be feeling, excited and nervous at the same time, but from first hand experience it is well worth it!
Old May 26th 2009, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spadgersdad
Hi,
Thank you for checking our website, we will do our absolute best to help you out in anyway we can.
We know how you must be feeling, excited and nervous at the same time, but from first hand experience it is well worth it!
hi sharon, hi everyone i booked with auspitality about a month or so ago from another recomendation on this site i have found them very helpfull and we have booked it for a month looks really nice and were really excited,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.