British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   How long can I live offshore before I am NOT considered an AU resident? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/how-long-can-i-live-offshore-before-i-am-not-considered-au-resident-924920/)

red7 May 13th 2019 9:40 am

How long can I live offshore before I am NOT considered an AU resident?

Hi All,

I have an issue regarding eligibility for Austudy (Centrelink).

I moved to Australia in 2014, spent 4 years studying and working and was granted my 801 PR visa at the end of 2018.

Unfortunately, only a week after receiving the good news, my Dad was diagnosed as terminally ill in the UK, with only a short time left. He had nobody else to look after him, so I came to the UK to be his carer.

I have been offered a place to study at a University in Australia and can only afford to go to Uni if I am eligible for the Austudy benefit (as I am only PR, not a Citizen, I have to pay for my fees upfront, I can't get HECS-HELP).

The Doctor said my Dad had 6 months. We are now at 6 months and he is still going strong! :D Of course, this is great. But I am getting worried about not being eligible for Austudy when I return.

My Uni course starts in July and it's looking like I will have to defer until February, which I don't mind doing but how long can I be out of the country before I am no longer considered a resident by Centrelink?

I never wanted to leave Australia but I have a duty to my Dad. Are there exceptions for compelling circumstances such as a dying relative?

Should I be doing something now (e.g. letting the Australian Government know my situation)?

Thanks for any help here :)

spouse of scouse May 13th 2019 12:16 pm

Re: How long can I live offshore before I am NOT considered an AU resident?

Originally Posted by red7 (Post 12683050)
Hi All,

I have an issue regarding eligibility for Austudy (Centrelink).

I moved to Australia in 2014, spent 4 years studying and working and was granted my 801 PR visa at the end of 2018.

Unfortunately, only a week after receiving the good news, my Dad was diagnosed as terminally ill in the UK, with only a short time left. He had nobody else to look after him, so I came to the UK to be his carer.

I have been offered a place to study at a University in Australia and can only afford to go to Uni if I am eligible for the Austudy benefit (as I am only PR, not a Citizen, I have to pay for my fees upfront, I can't get HECS-HELP).

The Doctor said my Dad had 6 months. We are now at 6 months and he is still going strong! :D Of course, this is great. But I am getting worried about not being eligible for Austudy when I return.

My Uni course starts in July and it's looking like I will have to defer until February, which I don't mind doing but how long can I be out of the country before I am no longer considered a resident by Centrelink?

I never wanted to leave Australia but I have a duty to my Dad. Are there exceptions for compelling circumstances such as a dying relative?

Should I be doing something now (e.g. letting the Australian Government know my situation)?

Thanks for any help here :)

Hi, sorry to hear about your Dad.

On the face of it, it appears that holders of a PR visa granted before 1 January 2019 have a two year residency waiting period after their PR visa grant before being able to apply for Austudy. If PR was granted on or after 1 January 2019, the waiting period is 4 years.
The following link advises that periods of time spent overseas are not counted towards the waiting period.
https://www.humanservices.gov.au/ind...waiting-period

In other words, it appears that you need to be an on-shore PR resident for 2 years before being eligible to apply for Austudy.

red7 May 14th 2019 11:54 am

Re: How long can I live offshore before I am NOT considered an AU resident?

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12683109)
In other words, it appears that you need to be an on-shore PR resident for 2 years before being eligible to apply for Austudy.

That's what I thought initially, too. But I'm not entirely sure, as this is a "Newly arrived resident's waiting period", which states, "If you've recently arrived as a resident in Australia, you may have to wait to get payments or concession cards." But I have been living and working in AU since 2014 as a temporary resident (820 visa), except for this current trip - and I was granted PR before I left last year. I'm not sure if I would be considered "newly arrived" when I return.