Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How long can I live offshore before I am NOT considered an AU resident?

How long can I live offshore before I am NOT considered an AU resident?

Old May 13th 2019, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

red7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question How long can I live offshore before I am NOT considered an AU resident?

Hi All,

I have an issue regarding eligibility for Austudy (Centrelink).

I moved to Australia in 2014, spent 4 years studying and working and was granted my 801 PR visa at the end of 2018.

Unfortunately, only a week after receiving the good news, my Dad was diagnosed as terminally ill in the UK, with only a short time left. He had nobody else to look after him, so I came to the UK to be his carer.

I have been offered a place to study at a University in Australia and can only afford to go to Uni if I am eligible for the Austudy benefit (as I am only PR, not a Citizen, I have to pay for my fees upfront, I can't get HECS-HELP).

The Doctor said my Dad had 6 months. We are now at 6 months and he is still going strong! Of course, this is great. But I am getting worried about not being eligible for Austudy when I return.

My Uni course starts in July and it's looking like I will have to defer until February, which I don't mind doing but how long can I be out of the country before I am no longer considered a resident by Centrelink?

I never wanted to leave Australia but I have a duty to my Dad. Are there exceptions for compelling circumstances such as a dying relative?

Should I be doing something now (e.g. letting the Australian Government know my situation)?

Thanks for any help here
Old May 13th 2019, 12:16 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long can I live offshore before I am NOT considered an AU resident?

Originally Posted by red7 View Post
Hi All,

I have an issue regarding eligibility for Austudy (Centrelink).

I moved to Australia in 2014, spent 4 years studying and working and was granted my 801 PR visa at the end of 2018.

Unfortunately, only a week after receiving the good news, my Dad was diagnosed as terminally ill in the UK, with only a short time left. He had nobody else to look after him, so I came to the UK to be his carer.

I have been offered a place to study at a University in Australia and can only afford to go to Uni if I am eligible for the Austudy benefit (as I am only PR, not a Citizen, I have to pay for my fees upfront, I can't get HECS-HELP).

The Doctor said my Dad had 6 months. We are now at 6 months and he is still going strong! Of course, this is great. But I am getting worried about not being eligible for Austudy when I return.

My Uni course starts in July and it's looking like I will have to defer until February, which I don't mind doing but how long can I be out of the country before I am no longer considered a resident by Centrelink?

I never wanted to leave Australia but I have a duty to my Dad. Are there exceptions for compelling circumstances such as a dying relative?

Should I be doing something now (e.g. letting the Australian Government know my situation)?

Thanks for any help here
Hi, sorry to hear about your Dad.

On the face of it, it appears that holders of a PR visa granted before 1 January 2019 have a two year residency waiting period after their PR visa grant before being able to apply for Austudy. If PR was granted on or after 1 January 2019, the waiting period is 4 years.
The following link advises that periods of time spent overseas are not counted towards the waiting period.
https://www.humanservices.gov.au/ind...waiting-period

In other words, it appears that you need to be an on-shore PR resident for 2 years before being eligible to apply for Austudy.

Last edited by spouse of scouse; May 13th 2019 at 12:21 pm.
Old May 14th 2019, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

red7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How long can I live offshore before I am NOT considered an AU resident?

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
In other words, it appears that you need to be an on-shore PR resident for 2 years before being eligible to apply for Austudy.
That's what I thought initially, too. But I'm not entirely sure, as this is a "Newly arrived resident's waiting period", which states, "If you've recently arrived as a resident in Australia, you may have to wait to get payments or concession cards." But I have been living and working in AU since 2014 as a temporary resident (820 visa), except for this current trip - and I was granted PR before I left last year. I'm not sure if I would be considered "newly arrived" when I return.