Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

HOW LONG TO BUY A CAR?

HOW LONG TO BUY A CAR?

Old Jan 19th 2008, 8:39 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute
Default HOW LONG TO BUY A CAR?

If I was to walk into a dealership (i.e. Honda) on arrival in Aus and buy a brand new car paying in full i.e. no finance how long would it be before I could collect it?
(trying to work out how long I need to book our initial rental car for) Thx
Old Jan 19th 2008, 9:00 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HOW LONG TO BUY A CAR?

Originally Posted by JoolsB
If I was to walk into a dealership (i.e. Honda) on arrival in Aus and buy a brand new car paying in full i.e. no finance how long would it be before I could collect it?
Depends on what you actually want. By the sounds of things you aren't prepared to shop around several dealers.
If you want one straight of the lot, a couple of days probably. This is so the dealer can conduct pre-delivery detailing. If you have specific requirements, ie model, paint, colour etc etc, it will take longer. The dealer will advise you as to the length of time required.
Be prepared for them to fall of their chairs if you offer them cash, as most are not used to people forking over $20,000 plus up front.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

Hills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud of

Assuming you buy something they have in stock you could take it there and then, or more usually within a day or two (gives them time to prep the car, as The Bloke indicated).

To register the car (they'll do it for you) you'll need to provide proof of address (utility bill, rental agreement, etc.) - this is what you have to do in SA, and I assume (but don't know) that other states/terrs are the same. If you can't provide that information straightaway then they could register the car in the name of the dealership and then transfer it to you once you have proof of address.

Once you've bought the car then dealerships will also loan you a car for a few days while the one you've bought is being registered/detailed.

My advice would be to shop around though and bargain hard. Also make sure that you are discussing the 'drive away price' and not just the cost of the car. The sticker price does not include costs such as dealer delivery, tax, registration, etc.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 9:14 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

You could order one before you arrive and have it delivered to the airport like we did!

Buzzy
Old Jan 20th 2008, 1:46 pm
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys-am going to call up a Melly Holden dealership as according to website they have a 'driveaway' deal until end Feb on Barina's at $13900. Seems good value and all we want is a small runaround with no finance anyway.

Have noticed resale values stay pretty high (unlike UK) so next year when we are earning big bucks we can always upgrade!
Old Jan 20th 2008, 7:54 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys-am going to call up a Melly Holden dealership as according to website they have a 'driveaway' deal until end Feb on Barina's at $13900. Seems good value and all we want is a small runaround with no finance anyway.

Have noticed resale values stay pretty high (unlike UK) so next year when we are earning big bucks we can always upgrade!
Don't forget that stamp duty raises the cost of changing cars here!

Buzzy