Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How long before you started to gain an Aussie accent?

How long before you started to gain an Aussie accent?

Old May 7th 2006, 1:23 am
sunshinesarah

sunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud of
Default How long before you started to gain an Aussie accent?

My partner and I have been here almost 2 years but we have started to catch eachother out with little Aussie-isms when we speak. The main one is 'liddle' instead of 'little' and that inevitable going up at the end of sentences.

I think generally I must still sound SO English. I get the micky taken out of me a lot at work which is all in good humour and find Aussie's pick up on me being English very quickly so it's always a great conversation starter.

I got told in the supermarket once by a young teenage girl at the checkout that I sounded 'so sophisticated'! If only she really knew me! But I took the compliment gladly. On the phone to an Aussie customer just the other day, he said the end of the call "can i just say what a pleasure it is to hear that accent of yours". How nice was that? And at work, if I have a day off, the other girls have said customers have come in asking for "the English girl with that lovely accent".

I think Aussie's are so intrigued by our accents and I find that, despite there being more and more poms here, it makes us a novelty still. So I'm going to try and keep mine as it seems to have just had positive effects.

Sunshine Sarah
Old May 7th 2006, 2:24 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: How long before you started to gain an Aussie accent?

Originally Posted by sunshinesarah
My partner and I have been here almost 2 years but we have started to catch eachother out with little Aussie-isms when we speak. The main one is 'liddle' instead of 'little' and that inevitable going up at the end of sentences.

I think generally I must still sound SO English. I get the micky taken out of me a lot at work which is all in good humour and find Aussie's pick up on me being English very quickly so it's always a great conversation starter.

I got told in the supermarket once by a young teenage girl at the checkout that I sounded 'so sophisticated'! If only she really knew me! But I took the compliment gladly. On the phone to an Aussie customer just the other day, he said the end of the call "can i just say what a pleasure it is to hear that accent of yours". How nice was that? And at work, if I have a day off, the other girls have said customers have come in asking for "the English girl with that lovely accent".

I think Aussie's are so intrigued by our accents and I find that, despite there being more and more poms here, it makes us a novelty still. So I'm going to try and keep mine as it seems to have just had positive effects.

Sunshine Sarah
Good onya mate, that's the spirit!
Old May 7th 2006, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long before you started to gain an Aussie accent?

Been here 5 years and don't think I have one But then my aussie bf has picked up a British accent from me so perhaps that has helped
Old May 7th 2006, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

Matt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to behold

Sunshine Sarah

We've been here in Melbourne just 3 months and yesterday we each found the other said "ah, look, I think we should...". Not sure whether this is an Australian-ism or a Melbourne-ism but either way it's bad news. We're going back to the UK for 10 days next month and we're sure to be picked up on it by our families.
Old May 7th 2006, 2:55 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Our kids have picked up the lingo and accent really quickly. Even hubby says 'no worries' everytime he's on the phone!

Tracey
Old May 7th 2006, 3:27 am
Forum Regular

canaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Good onya mate, that's the spirit!
What about you Vash, Have you lost your Ozzy accent yet?
I have a problem understanding a black country accent it must be a nightmare for you!
Old May 7th 2006, 3:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tracey brien
Our kids have picked up the lingo and accent really quickly. Even hubby says 'no worries' everytime he's on the phone!

Tracey
People have been saying no worries for London for years! Part of the international thing.

I find my accent hasn't changed, but my diction has - I speak slower and more deliberately - in London people probably think I am a bit thick.

People often think I am a saffer. Even in the UK and that is where I was born.
Old May 7th 2006, 3:36 am
BE Enthusiast

The S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to behold

[ The main one is 'liddle' instead of 'little' and that inevitable going up at the end of sentences.

Hi Sarah

I am a brummie so I definitely hope my kids pick it up asap
I will however beat them within an inch of their life if they pick up "AQI", the Aussie going up at the end thingy. I have listened to Aussies and they seem to do it all the time and you hardly notice, but us brits do it and it is the most annoying thing ever.
I think students must be worst offenders but I think it is gaining in popularity with everyone.
Coming from a brummie criticism about bad accents must be bad
Old May 7th 2006, 4:00 am
sunshinesarah

sunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Matt Sabin
We've been here in Melbourne just 3 months and yesterday we each found the other said "ah, look, I think we should...". Not sure whether this is an Australian-ism or a Melbourne-ism but either way it's bad news. We're going back to the UK for 10 days next month and we're sure to be picked up on it by our families.
YES!!!!! I have caught myself doing the 'look' thing at the start of a sentence and annoyed myself with it.It's more when I'm explaining something.

Watched Peter Kay Live in Bolton last night on DVD. Now there's a cracking accent.

As long as noone's saying "too easy" yet....

Sunshine Sarah
Old May 7th 2006, 4:03 am
sunshinesarah

Originally Posted by The S's
[ The main one is 'liddle' instead of 'little' and that inevitable going up at the end of sentences.

Hi Sarah

I will however beat them within an inch of their life if they pick up "AQI", the Aussie going up at the end thingy. I have listened to Aussies and they seem to do it all the time and you hardly notice, but us brits do it and it is the most annoying thing ever.
I think students must be worst offenders but I think it is gaining in popularity with everyone.
Aaah don't say that! I'm a southerner but worked a lot in Nuneaton / West Mids and grew to love that West Mids accent. A very honest acceent somehow I reckon.

Sunshine Sarah
Old May 7th 2006, 4:07 am
sunshinesarah

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
People have been saying no worries for London for years! Part of the international thing.

I find my accent hasn't changed, but my diction has - I speak slower and more deliberately - in London people probably think I am a bit thick.

People often think I am a saffer. Even in the UK and that is where I was born.
God yes you're right. I've noticed I speak slower too. Must be cos I'm not in a rush full stop any more - laid back Queensland and all that....

Sunshine Sarah
Old May 7th 2006, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The S's

Hi Sarah

We are real Lancashire accents, very broad, they love it here.My Kids are losing theirs, but not the vowels, their mates love it.
I speak slower now as nobody understood a word i would say, so now i sound posh.
My daughter of 19 had that horrible towny accent, hated it, she sounded so common when she first came, but she is changing slowly.
My Aussie friends love the way we talk.
Denise [common as muck]
Old May 7th 2006, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

YES!!!!! I have caught myself doing the 'look' thing at the start of a sentence and annoyed myself with it.It's more when I'm explaining something.

Watched Peter Kay Live in Bolton last night on DVD. Now there's a cracking accent.

As long as noone's saying "too easy" yet....

Sunshine Sarah
PETER KAY absolutely brill, got the dvds
tinternet, its spitting get in its spitting, love him! love him! love him!
now im geting all excited
Old May 7th 2006, 4:26 am
sunshinesarah

Originally Posted by cranni
PETER KAY absolutely brill, got the dvds
tinternet, its spitting get in its spitting, love him! love him! love him!
now im geting all excited
Call th'ambulance!!!
Would pay big money to see Peter kay live here....Though all you see doing tours are blumin' Lenny Henry and Hale and Pace.

Sunshine Sarah
Old May 7th 2006, 4:37 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Matt Sabin
When I first heard the "ah, look!" part of someones speech I found it sounded quite a rude comment, obviously it sounds different from each person.

Anyone else felt this?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.